Time for UT to carry the torch of SEC supremacy

lawgator1

Notwithstanding my other posts about how out of proportion the hype is in y'all's neck of the woods for this game (And I still believe that), I must say that the Vols have a chance to take the #1 ranking heading into the last week of the regular season and that's pretty impressive and important to the rest of the conference.

Go Vols! Make us all look good.

Thanks but if you are a Vol it is not overhyped. It is a huge deal to us to play and try to beat #1.

Thanks,i guess:crazy: This deep in the year with a chance to be ranked number one on the line:crazy:

do u really feel comfortable saying that? :blink:

Sure.

To me its similar to the debate we have every December about rooting for SEC teams in bowl games. 1) Every SEC team win helps out the prestige of the entire conference; and, 2) Why wouldn't I root for you?

I'm a Gator fan first. But a not-too-distant fan of the entire SEC. You guys have a chance to make a big impact on the way the rest of the country perceives us as a basketball conference.

Let's face it, with Kentucky over the last 4-5 years not really getting it done, and with Florida being the cream of the crop for the last two years, its not like the SEC's identity has been very stable. Way I figure it, the more SEC teams at the top of the heap, then overall the perception is bound to be that this is a tough conference and deserving of respect.

Notwithstanding my other posts about how out of proportion the hype is in y'all's neck of the woods for this game (And I still believe that), I must say that the Vols have a chance to take the #1 ranking heading into the last week of the regular season and that's pretty impressive and important to the rest of the conference.

Quoted for posterity

Whether or not the amount of hype is proportionate depends on your own personal interest in the game....I am originally from Cordova but graduated from UT and have many friends, coworkers and family members who are Memphis basketball fans...So obviously, my interest would be pretty high and I can't read enough about the game....For a Florida fan to come on a TN message board and say that the game is "overhyped" is a little too much to take....

Sure.

To me its similar to the debate we have every December about rooting for SEC teams in bowl games. 1) Every SEC team win helps out the prestige of the entire conference; and, 2) Why wouldn't I root for you?

I'm a Gator fan first. But a not-too-distant fan of the entire SEC. You guys have a chance to make a big impact on the way the rest of the country perceives us as a basketball conference.

Let's face it, with Kentucky over the last 4-5 years not really getting it done, and with Florida being the cream of the crop for the last two years, its not like the SEC's identity has been very stable. Way I figure it, the more SEC teams at the top of the heap, then overall the perception is bound to be that this is a tough conference and deserving of respect.

Gotcha :eek:k:... I really hope we can get 6 in the tourney this year

Whether or not the amount of hype is proportionate depends on your own personal interest in the game....I am originally from Cordova but graduated from UT and have many friends, coworkers and family members who are Memphis basketball fans...So obviously, my interest would be pretty high and I can't read enough about the game....For a Florida fan to come on a TN message board and say that the game is "overhyped" is a little too much to take....
Don't pay him any attention. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. We all need to help law admit he is a closet volfan. Then he'll be on the road to recovery.:p

Thanks Law Gator I did not know you cared. Will we still get that warm fuzzy fealing whin we come callin in March?

Thanks Law Gator I did not know you cared. Will we still get that warm fuzzy fealing whin we come callin in March?

There will be competing emotions, for sure.

On the one hand, as I say, every advance by an SEC team is something to be grateful for in that it makes the conference look good.

On the flip side, to be completely honest, part of me will be wondering if those of us who question the defense and dependence on perimeter shooting will be proven right. As predicted by myself and others, these deficiencies could lead to an earlier-than-hoped-for exit. It might help you set tournament records for scoring, too.

Its not that I will particularly care (my bracket contest entries notwithstanding). Its more that I wonder if I'm right.

VN Store

Back