Red Flags

Losing Magitt has been devastating to our ability to get after the QB. Not an excuse - reality. It's unfair to put it on the DB's when the QB gets to cycle all his progressions.

Good point.

I am so happy for this program that they won the game last night. Great effort boys!

With that said, I still feel a few key plays at the end of the game MUST be corrected. On 3rd and 1 with 2:01 left, we have to be able to close out the game. That didn't happen and it likely cost us. The second concern are our defensive backs. They are drastically underperforming and THE DROP is the only reason this game wasn't a rerun of weeks past.

How does Butch Jones get this team over the hurdle so that we can close games out with our offense on the field?

Go Vols!

Or THE DROP as in the INT that was right in the numbers... both teams missed plays. UT finally made enough.

I'm as happy with anyone that we won, but not sure why some have the attitude that we aren't allowed to talk about some areas of concern.

I agreed on the db's as they seem to be underperforming with the exception of Cam. Cam has been consistent all year but gave up his first TD yesterday, but that's going to happen so no biggie. The others just seem to get burnt frequently - especially Mosley.

I'll add another area that we need to improve on. We have got to make the INT when we have the opportunity. We had 3 good opportunities for an interception and didn't catch any of them. Mosley, Foreman and TK all had chances and didn't make the play. Not sure why that is occurring, maybe we need to have them catch a 100 balls from the machine every day between now and Bama :)

EDIT: Just watched the game on TV and I take back the comment on Mosley missing an INT. In person it looked like he should have made it but after seeing it on TV I was wrong. He made a great play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I am so happy for this program that they won the game last night. Great effort boys!

With that said, I still feel a few key plays at the end of the game MUST be corrected. On 3rd and 1 with 2:01 left, we have to be able to close out the game. That didn't happen and it likely cost us. The second concern are our defensive backs. They are drastically underperforming and THE DROP is the only reason this game wasn't a rerun of weeks past.

How does Butch Jones get this team over the hurdle so that we can close games out with our offense on the field?

Go Vols!

Simple go totally old school, abandon the spread bring 3 extra tackles (Big Bruising TEs), then line them up in an I formation and just flat out over power the opposition. In other words play exactly like Bama and LSU. Forget Wide Receiver U claims instead become Running Back U and embrace it with an extreme passion.

Reactions: 1 person

Go Vols!

Really? Everyone stops a 3rd and 1 every time huh? Kelly dropped an interception ONLY when the receiver knocked it out of his hands. The dropped pass by Georgia, well, we have dropped quite a few ourselves, so it happens. Our defense, well we gave up 14 points to their offense. Randolph batted away the potential tying touchdown. What do you want? Perfection? It's not going to happen, these are young kids. Even the pros mess up.
Great win, one that probably propels this team over the top. Beat Bama! And I think we have a shot to do that.

IMO the loss of Gaulden and the delay of getting Martin up to speed are what makes the secondary look so poor sometimes. Honestly I feel Gaulden alone has shown to be the most significant loss to the defense.

As nice as this was, if Davis doesn't drop the easy TD we might have a very different vibe around the program this morning.

That was one of the worst drops I've seen ina long time.

The secondary and Jancek have issues.

Sorry, but I've seen our receivers do the same thing in games just this year that would have helped us to win some of the games we lost. It happens. Our defense gave up 14 pts. Great game Vols!

Simple go totally old school, abandon the spread bring 3 extra tackles (Big Bruising TEs), then line them up in an I formation and just flat out over power the opposition. In other words play exactly like Bama and LSU. Forget Wide Receiver U claims instead become Running Back U and embrace it with an extreme passion.

Not going to happen and Do Not Want.

Precisely, and it is astounding to me how some on this board so easily overlook this issue. Despite the win, I do not see where Butch Jones and staff have made any adjustments in regard to their management when we have a lead. They liked to have blown another game and it was much closer than many fans want to believe. Bottom line is... If TKJ makes the easy INT, the game is over. He dropped it. If Tennessee sustains the drive on 3rd and 1, we win. We could not and punted. And yall know the ineptness of our DBs.... These areas are very concerning folks, but I guess luck was on our side.

You and some others on here really don't have a clue do you? If, if, if. If Arkansas don't give up a broken coverage TD and fumble to give another easy score, they probably beat Alabama last night. But these ifs happen to all teams. Great team effort. Are we perfect? No, but don't know of any teams that are. I believe we beat Alabama too.

Bottom line is this Tennessee team found a way to win....Isn't that what football teams try to do??? Sometimes even the best teams find a way to lose....We are not the best yet but I do believe that this game will go a long way towards building confidence in our team. I swear, we could be the best team in the country and some people just would not be happy.

I agree, but TKJ dropped an INT that would have sealed the game. Again... Back to those 2-3 crucial plays per game that Tennessee just can't seem to make. It is frustrating.

He dropped it only after the receiver knocked it out of his hands. If you have it recorded, go back and look. Jeeeeesh. Some of you.

Relax people! Sheeze
, just enjoy the win. This team would not be denied last night. That IS a step in the right direction

Stupid phone.

love how folks on here think because we won, everything is fine and forgiven and all of a sudden we are perfect... then if folks heaven for bid point out a concern or issue we still have despite the win, they get trashed!? Its not being negative, its caring about the little things that may come back to haunt us down the road and this is a discussion board where we should be able to bring it up. We had two potential interception drops that would have changed the game even more in our favor, our DBs got burned over and over again (including Sutton) and folks want to talk about it. I hate singling out players, but Mosley unfortunately does not belong on the field. He is not far along enough to do a good enough job. Do we have any other options? Berry twins? Others?

Reactions: 2 people
love how folks on here think because we won, everything is fine and forgiven and all of a sudden we are perfect... then if folks heaven for bid point out a concern or issue we still have despite the win, they get trashed!? Its not being negative, its caring about the little things that may come back to haunt us down the road and this is a discussion board where we should be able to bring it up. We had two potential interception drops that would have changed the game even more in our favor, our DBs got burned over and over again (including Sutton) and folks want to talk about it. I hate singling out players, but Mosley unfortunately does not belong on the field. He is not far along enough to do a good enough job. Do we have any other options? Berry twins? Others?

I don't see anyone saying the Vols are perfect, but they did win. That is all that matters. Are there improvements to be made? Sure. All teams have improvements to make. Adjust and move on. A win is a win, enjoy it.

Go Vols!

LOL.... you guys amaze me sometimes.....
Can't even enjoy something for 24 hours.....

He dropped it only after the receiver knocked it out of his hands. If you have it recorded, go back and look. Jeeeeesh. Some of you.

Ummm, no. He should have had that ball secured before the receiver got a hand on him. The Georgia receiver kept him from having a second chance at the INT but TK had it in his hands before touched.

Ummm, no. He should have had that ball secured before the receiver got a hand on him. The Georgia receiver kept him from having a second chance at the INT but TK had it in his hands before touched.

meh, a lot of the time a DB is a DB because he can't catch. I am never upset at a DB for not making a catch.

The breaks finally went our way, enjoy the win.

This, its part of football, based on your logic it was the other three teams that lucked out beating UT because of our bad luck and not the coaching and players..........geesh there is no pleasing you people.

GO VOLS!!!!! :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

I'm thinking you've been living in a cave, I am not saying you are a NegaVol, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........it's probably a duck........just saying.

:sleep:

A sack at any given time on Georgia's last drive would have sealed the deal probably. The sure interception that was dropped in the endzone would have seasled it too.

But, ya know, they MADE the PLAYS when it counted. Even down the the VERY LAST ONE by RANDOLPH (a GA kid). That easily was a TD and HE made the play when it counted mostly. FINALLY!!!

A sack at any given time on Georgia's last drive would have sealed the deal probably. The sure interception that was dropped in the endzone would have seasled it too.

But, ya know, they MADE the PLAYS when it counted. Even down the the VERY LAST ONE by RANDOLPH (a GA kid). That easily was a TD and HE made the play when it counted mostly. FINALLY!!!

Also, I wouldn't say that was a sure interception that Kelly just dropped. That receiver was ripping at his arms the whole time. It's not like he just flubbed an uncontested catch.

The breaks finally went our way, enjoy the win.

and they weren't early on...dropped passes, 96 yard fumble recovery for td, the missed blockin the back on the punt return....aside from Chub going down, for 28 minutes of the 1st half, the breaks were definitely not in our favor.

so, when they fumble a KO and we get 14 pts in 40 seconds, or when they drop a sure TD pass, or we have a punt magically bounce out of bounds 6" in front of the pylon....

let's just say...i'll take it if it meas not losing another heart breaker. Go Big Orange

VN Store

Back