Red Flags

lilesrt

I am so happy for this program that they won the game last night. Great effort boys!

With that said, I still feel a few key plays at the end of the game MUST be corrected. On 3rd and 1 with 2:01 left, we have to be able to close out the game. That didn't happen and it likely cost us. The second concern are our defensive backs. They are drastically underperforming and THE DROP is the only reason this game wasn't a rerun of weeks past.

How does Butch Jones get this team over the hurdle so that we can close games out with our offense on the field?

Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Great win, very proud of this team and staff! I cant figure out for the life of me why this secondary stinks?! This was supposed to be our biggest strength. I think Mosely stinks...don't know why they keep thinking he's some Dwayne Goodrich! We have the talent back there, no excuses. Comes down to coaching. Willie Martinez better get it cleaned up!

Reactions: 1 person
I am so happy for this program that they won the game last night. Great effort boys!

With that said, I still feel a few key plays at the end of the game MUST be corrected. On 3rd and 1 with 2:01 left, we have to be able to close out the game. That didn't happen and it likely cost us. The second concern are our defensive backs. They are drastically underperforming and THE DROP is the only reason this game wasn't a rerun of weeks past.

How does Butch Jones get this team over the hurdle so that we can close games out with our offense on the field?

Go Vols!

Go back in your cave. They just had the 3rd largest comeback in Vol history.

Reactions: 20 people
Great win, very proud of this team and staff! I cant figure out for the life of me why this secondary stinks?! This was supposed to be our biggest strength. I think Mosely stinks...don't know why they keep thinking he's some Dwayne Goodrich! We have the talent back there, no excuses. Comes down to coaching. Willie Martinez better get it cleaned up!

Enjoy the win. Don't trash our players. Talk about coaching if you want. But don't call out players, especially after such a great win!

Reactions: 8 people
Agreed something needs to be done about Mosely but GA only scored two offensive TD's. Drops are just part of the game.

Good points. Great win, freshmen o-line men provided the spark we needed.

Passing to the middle of the field paid huge dividends as well.

Defense issues were glaring last night. Sutton has regressed from last year significantly. Defensive backs as a whole are not playing well.

Overall, we still had very conservative play calls once we had the lead. Three qb draws called on 3 consecutive plays? With aggressive play calling, the team does better. With conservative play calling, we can only hold a lead with luck.

We got behind and coached aggressive. Guys like Malone, Smith and Von made critical plays. Alex Ellis played well. I think we should always play aggressive. It was great to see them have fun!!

The breaks finally went our way, enjoy the win.

I am thoroughly enjoying the win, but it almost ended up like FL and OK. We have to find a way to finish games with our offense on the field. Our defense just can't close it out folks, as evidenced by our poor secondary play, Kelly Jr.'s dropped INT and the long ball drop by Georgia. Those plays get you beat 9/10 times.

I did like the Dobbs play call on 3rd and 1, we just couldn't pick it up.

Our defense is not very good. We gave up 7+ yards per Georgia play for the game. That is not good. And agree that our DBs are not good. When is the last time we really had a stout DB unit? Great win--we have been down so long--and happy that we looked like a real offense. But have to get better.

I would like to see myself just exactly how the receivers are getting so far behind/ahead of Moseley on those routes. That's one thing i hate about watching on tv. You can't see the whole field for example, who's blocking downfield and who is just standing there watching our ball carriers get pummeled.

As nice as this was, if Davis doesn't drop the easy TD we might have a very different vibe around the program this morning.

That was one of the worst drops I've seen ina long time.

The secondary and Jancek have issues.

Reactions: 3 people
Secondary really has issues.

TKjr should never come off the field

Bringing in new players helped the o-lilne. Might be time to try someone over Mosley.

As nice as this was, if Davis doesn't drop the easy TD we might have a very different vibe around the program this morning.

As much time as there was left and the way we were moving the ball, I'd bet that we'd have gotten a shot at a game winning FG.

On the last possession I think Tennessee could have made a safe pass in the flat similar to the two passes Tennessee scored on. I think it would have been worth the risk. One first down and the game was over.

Precisely, and it is astounding to me how some on this board so easily overlook this issue. Despite the win, I do not see where Butch Jones and staff have made any adjustments in regard to their management when we have a lead. They liked to have blown another game and it was much closer than many fans want to believe. Bottom line is... If TKJ makes the easy INT, the game is over. He dropped it. If Tennessee sustains the drive on 3rd and 1, we win. We could not and punted. And yall know the ineptness of our DBs.... These areas are very concerning folks, but I guess luck was on our side.

Last edited:
Secondary really has issues.

TKjr should never come off the field

Bringing in new players helped the o-lilne. Might be time to try someone over Mosley.

I agree, but TKJ dropped an INT that would have sealed the game. Again... Back to those 2-3 crucial plays per game that Tennessee just can't seem to make. It is frustrating.

Im so sick of hearing about that drop. We had dropped TD's too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if he had caught it, it would have only tied the game and we wouldve had plenty of time left to drive down the field and score like we did on almost every posession.

The second concern are our defensive backs. They are drastically underperforming and THE DROP is the only reason this game wasn't a rerun of weeks past.

Go Vols!

Losing Magitt has been devastating to our ability to get after the QB. Not an excuse - reality. It's unfair to put it on the DB's when the QB gets to cycle all his progressions.

Reactions: 3 people
Im so sick of hearing about that drop. We had dropped TD's too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if he had caught it, it would have only tied the game and we wouldve had plenty of time left to drive down the field and score like we did on almost every posession.

The drop bro. The drop. :)

VN Store

Back