SAIP...New rules for 2015 CFB Season

kunsanvol

I find the 15 yarder or pulling or pushing players of piles most interesting, and wonder how strictly it will be enforced....

- An eight-person officiating system will be allowed if a conference or school chooses. A center judge was used experimentally in several conferences during the past two seasons.
- A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles. This usually occurred in the past after fumbles.
- If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, 10 seconds will be run off the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds. There were a few situations near the end of a half where the offense had to snap the ball one more time when they were trying to run out the clock. So now the play clock is set to 40 seconds when a defensive player loses his helmet, and still to 25 seconds when it is a player on offense. This is also consistent with the rule for stopping the game due to an injured player.
- Officials will return to giving teams an initial sideline warning when their personnel move out of the designated team bench area.
- Officials will treat illegal equipment issues -- such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads or exposed back pads -- by making the player leave the field for at least one play. The equipment must be corrected for the player to return to the game. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment issue.
- Instant replay reviews will be allowed to see if a kicking team player blocked the receiving team before the ball traveled 10 yards on onside-kick plays.
- Teams must be provided at least 22 minutes prior to kickoff for pregame warm-ups. Teams may mutually agree to shorten this time period.
- If the play clock runs to 25 seconds before the ball is ready for play, officials will reset the clock to 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was reset when it reached 20 seconds.
- Non-standard/overbuilt face masks are prohibited.

Last edited:
I find the 15 yarder or pulling of pushing players of piles most interesting, and wonder how strictly it will be enforced....

- An eight-person officiating system will be allowed if a conference or school chooses. A center judge was used experimentally in several conferences during the past two seasons.
- A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles. This usually occurred in the past after fumbles.
- If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, 10 seconds will be run off the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds. There were a few situations near the end of a half where the offense had to snap the ball one more time when they were trying to run out the clock. So now the play clock is set to 40 seconds when a defensive player loses his helmet, and still to 25 seconds when it is a player on offense. This is also consistent with the rule for stopping the game due to an injured player.
- Officials will return to giving teams an initial sideline warning when their personnel move out of the designated team bench area.
- Officials will treat illegal equipment issues -- such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads or exposed back pads -- by making the player leave the field for at least one play. The equipment must be corrected for the player to return to the game. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment issue.
- Instant replay reviews will be allowed to see if a kicking team player blocked the receiving team before the ball traveled 10 yards on onside-kick plays.
- Teams must be provided at least 22 minutes prior to kickoff for pregame warm-ups. Teams may mutually agree to shorten this time period.
- If the play clock runs to 25 seconds before the ball is ready for play, officials will reset the clock to 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was reset when it reached 20 seconds.

if there is a 10 second runoff when a defensive player loses his helmet - what prevents a player from doing it on purpose when the other team is trying to score to win with less than 10 seconds left???

Reactions: 10 people
if there is a 10 second runoff when a defensive player loses his helmet - what prevents a player from doing it on purpose when the other team is trying to score to win with less than 10 seconds left???

I was about to say the same thing. Stupid rule.

I'm sure it's accounted for, but just not mentioned in this blurb. The short amount written here also might be regarding something slightly different than the way we're reading it.

"Helmet off Defensive Player: Play Clock Set to 40 Seconds: When a player’s helmet comes off, the game clock is stopped, and the player must leave the game for one play. In past years, the play clock has been set to 25 seconds. Last year, however, there were a few situations near the end of a half where this happened with more than 25 seconds on the game clock; this forces the offense to have to snap the ball one more time when they were trying to run out the clock. So now the play clock is set to 40 seconds when a defensive player loses his helmet, and still to 25 seconds when it is a player on offense. This is also consistent with the rule for stopping the game due to an injured player."

NCAA football: Need-to-know rules changes for 2015 season | NCAA.com

Reactions: 3 people
No more "Shredder" masks. Honestly why is this a rule? Players like to be different and have a personal touch on what face mask they have. Idk, just seems a bit ridiculous.

*EDIT*: Just looked up overbuilt facemasks and it was mentioned that the extra weight could put strain on the head and neck. Also, the excess material could give the player a false sense of security, thus poor tackling form. TIFWIW.

100th post!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not seeing many "improvements" to the game with these, listed rules changes...

What I DO see, however...is the further Pussification of College Football...

Reactions: 6 people
I'm not seeing many "improvements" to the game with these, listed rules changes...

word

Oh, Harriet.

The runoff rule seems needlessly complex. Was this really a problem?

Also, was pulling and pushing in the pile that big a problem?

Officials will treat illegal equipment issues -- such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads or exposed back pads -- by making the player leave the field for at least one play. The equipment must be corrected for the player to return to the game. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment issue.

This rule seems ridiculous.

I'm just glad there aren't any new rules this year that stem from our losses. That got to be old.

"Yeah, you got screwed. Here, we'll change the rule. You still lost though."

Oh, Harriet.

The runoff rule seems needlessly complex. Was this really a problem?

Also, was pulling and pushing in the pile that big a problem?

If someone is being rough after the play then you call a personal foul penalty. That's how simple it should be. It's almost like they're just looking for new ways to penalize teams. The jersey malfunction rule in particular seems completely absurd. I think I could see a few teams using it as an exploit if given the opportunity. That's free rest for your defense.

Are they going to treat the players like kids playing grasshopper or grasscutter football? "Make sure you have you cleats tied, your mouth piece in, jersey tucked in and all your straps snapped". These are college athletes refs!

I was listening yesterday to Rocky Goode on the radio and he mentioned the onsides change to instant replay being able to review contact before the ball is touched. He also mentioned that a rule was in place that allows the receiving team to call fair catch even on a ball that is kicked into the ground. So, what's the point of the onsides kick? It was one of the most exciting plays in football. What's next, all punts are dead at the catch, interceptions without run backs, no kick offs?

First thing I thought...who came up with this crap?

I find the 15 yarder or pulling of pushing players of piles most interesting, and wonder how strictly it will be enforced....

I don't understand this one. For instance, if a running back has his jersey pulled so the shoulder pad is exposed, does he then have to leave for a play even if he can just quickly fix it?

I don't understand this one. For instance, if a running back has his jersey pulled so the shoulder pad is exposed, does he then have to leave for a play even if he can just quickly fix it?

Probably. Just like if the helmet comes off by the opponent, you have to sit out a play.

Does said player still have to leave the field of play? If so why does the clock stop? You can't punish the offense for a defense who cant keep their helmet on . Or vice versa . Let's say an rb slides down in field of play to keep clock running and defense decides to take helmet off to stop clock when there are no timeouts. Dumb Rule.

Last edited:

No. The officials will warn somebody if the uniform isn't being worn properly. If it isn't fixed, then they'll be pulled out. It sounds stupid, but it's more for uniformity. Numbers are easy to read. Pads are in correct place for protection. Etc.

Does said player still have to leave the field of play? If so why does the clock stop? You can't punish the offense for a defense who cant keep their helmet on . Or vice versa . Let's say an rb slides down in filed of play to keep clock running and defense decides to take helmet off to stop clock when there are no timeouts. Dumb Rule.

It's not an automatic runoff. It's an option of a runoff. Basically, if the team is trying to run out the clock, then this rule helps their cause. If they want the time, they can decline.

I was listening yesterday to Rocky Goode on the radio and he mentioned the onsides change to instant replay being able to review contact before the ball is touched. He also mentioned that a rule was in place that allows the receiving team to call fair catch even on a ball that is kicked into the ground. So, what's the point of the onsides kick? It was one of the most exciting plays in football. What's next, all punts are dead at the catch, interceptions without run backs, no kick offs?

That onside rule has been in place at least for one year, maybe two. If the ball is kicked straight into the ground to send it up in the air on one bounce, you can call a fair catch. If the ball is rolling, you can't.

It actually kind of makes sense, and I didn't see any weird cases of it last year.

VN Store

Back