MLB - question about Bynum

PMC2726

Believe
Congrats to Kirkland and Jumper. The future looks bright at MLB. Does anyone have any insight as to what happened with Bynum? He was getting first team reps, some good press, and praise from the coaches....now he's a "reserve". Will we use him somewhere else? GBO

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats to Kirkland and Jumper. The future looks bright at MLB. Does anyone have any insight as to what happened with Bynum? He was getting first team reps, some good press, and praise from the coaches....now he's a "reserve". Will we use him somewhere else? GBO

Kirkland and Jumper ate him

Reactions: 2 people

CJ and DK both better athletically and with the calls.

Bynum did a nice job coming in late last season and had a "jump" on the other 2 coming in............. Apparently they outworked him.

I LOVE me some competition!!!

Jancek said Kirkland and Jumper have outlasted Bynum in the competition simply because they have “done a good job” and “won the opportunity to compete for the starting position.”

All of them worked with the #1s during the fall practice, so there is no real meaning to that fact. I am not surprised that Kirkland is still in the running as I am that Jumper still is. Seems Jumper has made more out of his second year in the program than Bynum has in his third year. I congratulate Jumper on his hard work.

Jancek said Kirkland and Jumper have outlasted Bynum in the competition simply because they have “done a good job” and “won the opportunity to compete for the starting position.”

All of them worked with the #1s during the fall practice, so there is no real meaning to that fact. I am not surprised that Kirkland is still in the running as I am that Jumper still is. Seems Jumper has made more out of his second year in the program than Bynum has in his third year. I congratulate Jumper on his hard work.
I never viewed Jumper as a typical walk on. The guy is athletic and big and now we know he has a strong work ethic. Am I surprised? Yes, but not worried. These coaches have no apparent reason to play or start someone who would be a weaker link, unless they just want to lose a nice paycheck.

Exactly what I was thinking but during the time he was getting talked up he also kept saying the MLB was wide open still.

I guess it's good that we got some good depth at MLB

I want to stay away from terms like Bynum was out worked and such. Kirkland and now Jumper brought some skills and talents to the field that Bynum may not have possessed. Young Bynum probably knows that and sees it himself if he is being honest. My desire is Bynum gets on the field and contributes and helps the Vols win any way he can. He is a VFL in my book and deserves all the rights and privileges that come with it. Build teammates up, don't knock 'em down, that is what the opposition does.

Reactions: 9 people
I want to stay away from terms like Bynum was out worked and such. Kirkland and now Jumper brought some skills and talents to the field that Bynum may not have possessed. Young Bynum probably knows that and sees it himself if he is being honest. My desire is Bynum gets on the field and contributes and helps the Vols win any way he can. He is a VFL in my book and deserves all the rights and privileges that come with it. Build teammates up, don't knock 'em down, that is what the opposition does.

kirkland and jumper can run sideline to sideline. Thats something they love. Its going to be a very fast defense.

You sir, are a very smart poster....keep it up.

Reactions: 2 people
Bynum is a solid player. It bodes well for us that Jumper and Kirkland beat him out as he is definitely a better player than the one who played against Iowa (he lost weight and gained speed). Kenny is a nice luxury to have as a third teamer and will be a solid special teams contributor

I think he added that they needed to get it down to two to focus the #1 reps on those guys. One guy will be named the starter but it may not make too much difference in PT unless one really shines over the other.

I think he added that they needed to get it down to two to focus the #1 reps on those guys. One guy will be named the starter but it may not make too much difference in PT unless one really shines over the other.

Yeap, making that transition from fall practice to game preps. Jancek said it was getting harder to split reps with 3 guys and said both would play.

Have to wonder where Bates goes when he's healthy.

Should have a pretty solid Special Teams group with some of the guys/talent we will be able to play there.

I agree; Bynum recently lost 15 lbs, but yet he was out worked. Give me a break.

Yeap, making that transition from fall practice to game preps. Jancek said it was getting harder to split reps with 3 guys and said both would play.

Have to wonder where Bates goes when he's healthy.

OLB...cuz that's what he is. :thumbsup:

if you say so. . .

Butch Jones makes case for Kenny Bynum, Dillon Bates - GoVolsXtra Story

Jones said Bates would continue to work at both middle and weak-side linebacker and would be relied on to produce on special teams. It's fitting, Jones said, because Bates' father Bill made a name for himself as the special teams ace of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1980s and 1990s.

CBJ does talk in circles at times

what i found really disturbing is the the punter spot hasn't been taken yet,this will be where some games will be decided,unless it is CBJ going in circles again :)

He liked Jakob Johnson last year at that spot. :wink2: Guess weak-side is outside huh? :)

He liked AJ there better but then crap happens and again that was last year. Bates was hurt. No Kirkland. Like I posted earlier I have to wonder where Bates goes when he's healthy since CJB more or less leaves the door open for him to return to Mike.

To answer your question yes weak-side is outside. Let me know if you need more help.

VN Store

Back