2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

This. Dad wanted Duke and was the biggest reason he didn't end up at UT, mom wanted him home, Austin himself wanted to be at UT.

Yep. As I stated in another thread there are a number of factors in Austin's decision to transfer, but you have to believe watching Duke win last year while he didn't even make the NIT was pretty tough for the kid to take. How many times do you think his dad said, "Damn Austin, you should have been starting with Jones, Cook, Winslow, and Okafor and have a ring right now."

This. Dad wanted Duke and was the biggest reason he didn't end up at UT, mom wanted him home, Austin himself wanted to be at UT.

I thought his Dad wanted him here too.... I don't keep up with it like football but I don't remember his dad wanting Duke.
How in the world did he choose Memphis over Duke? Mom, really helped him mess this one up.
Anyway, radio in Memphis is saying dads in charge now so I guess that's bad for us if he wants Duke.

I thought his Dad wanted him here too.... I don't keep up with it like football but I don't remember his dad wanting Duke.
How in the world did he choose Memphis over Duke? Mom, really helped him mess this one up.
Anyway, radio in Memphis is saying dads in charge now so I guess that's bad for us if he wants Duke.

His father was against UT because of Martin's system, he didn't think Nichols would fit into it as well as he would've at Duke, which is probably pretty true, but he also didn't fit Pastner's "style" (whatever that may be) very well either. His father im sure would be much more impressed by Barnes system and track record than he was Zo's, but again, it's likely Tennessee is blocked so it won't much matter.

Reactions: 1 person
His father was against UT because of Martin's system, he didn't think Nichols would fit into it as well as he would've at Duke, which is probably pretty true, but he also didn't fit Pastner's "style" (whatever that may be) very well either. His father im sure would be much more impressed by Barnes system and track record than he was Zo's, but again, it's likely Tennessee is blocked so it won't much matter.

That's what I was hoping, that Barnes may make it more appealing for the dad and Austin.
On the radio, here in Memphis, they were making it sound like dad was pretty angry at the whole deal and was gonna demand an unrestricted release. Still may not happen, but with all the bad publicity lately with UM, they said Pastber doesn't need any more bad pub and that he may very well get the unrestricted release. Of course if they want Duke it won't matter.

You are right about the system. Austin and his Dad came for the October visit and UT was leading. they wanted Coach Martin to explain how Austin would be used and didn't get the kind of answer they wanted to hear. The word around Memphis is that Austin will play one year and then go into the draft. They think he is league ready but I'm not sure his skill set transfers into today's NBA. I am not sure that one year would fit in very well with program building. I also think his Dad is overestimating his talent.

Reactions: 2 people
Nichols should have made up his mind a long time ago. Bs move to wait so late.

There are theories that the new 2016 draft boards went up after this year's draft, and Austin fell off. At one point, a radio station yesterday reported that one draft board in 2014 had Austin as a lottery pick.

The theory is that his draft status just cemented his thoughts of leaving.

I don't know if he is "better" than Winslow. But they play different games. Nichols would have been a year ahead of Winslow and probably would have averaged double digit points and at least as many rebounds as Winslow.

Nichols would have been a solid contributor on that team.

Look, Nichols is good and would contribute, but we know he's not better than Winslow regardless of experience. They do have different games, and Winslow's complements Okafor much better. And Nichols isn't averaging more anything if he's playing fewer minutes.

Yep. As I stated in another thread there are a number of factors in Austin's decision to transfer, but you have to believe watching Duke win last year while he didn't even make the NIT was pretty tough for the kid to take. How many times do you think his dad said, "Damn Austin, you should have been starting with Jones, Cook, Winslow, and Okafor and have a ring right now."

That team went on a run because they moved Winslow to PF and created a mismatch. If they had reverted back to a guy in Nichols who can't space the floor for Okafor and can't defend, they wouldn't have won anything.

@GaryParrishCBS: Conditions on Austin Nichols' release per source: No AAC school. Nobody on Memphis schedule. And four to-be-determined schools.

@GaryParrishCBS: My guess is the to-be-determined schools will be schools Nichols officially visited out of HS or schools Memphis believes might've tampered.

@GaryParrishCBS: The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

@GaryParrishCBS: According to @TheCAJasonSmith, Memphis is in a future tournament with Iowa, Providence and Virginia. So that’s the explanation there.

@GaryParrishCBS: What’s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible “future” opponent. But Memphis has also said it won’t schedule Tennessee.

@GaryParrishCBS: True story: Memphis initially sent Tennessee an email saying it can’t contact Austin Nichols because UT is a future opponent. Naturally …

@GaryParrishCBS: … UT responded by saying, “Um, no we’re not.” So Memphis sent another email saying UT is now simply on a “restricted” list. Just because.

@GaryParrishCBS: The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

@GaryParrishCBS: According to @TheCAJasonSmith, Memphis is in a future tournament with Iowa, Providence and Virginia. So that’s the explanation there.

@GaryParrishCBS: What’s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible “future” opponent. But Memphis has also said it won’t schedule Tennessee.

@GaryParrishCBS: True story: Memphis initially sent Tennessee an email saying it can’t contact Austin Nichols because UT is a future opponent. Naturally …

@GaryParrishCBS: … UT responded by saying, “Um, no we’re not.” So Memphis sent another email saying UT is now simply on a “restricted” list. Just because.

Absolutely trashy thing to do, but then again, it's Memphis.

Austin Nichols has been granted a conditional release from the University of Memphis, the school announced Thursday.

"I spoke with Austin Nichols this morning and informed him the University of Memphis will grant to him a conditional release from his National Letter of Intent," said Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen. "While we are disappointed in this outcome and the timing of this situation, we respect his wishes to pursue other opportunities. We appreciate Austin's contributions to the Tigers and wish him well in his future endeavors."

Nichols will not be released to transfer to any American Athletic Conference school, any school on the Tigers' future schedules and/or Tennessee, Providence, Iowa or Virginia, a source told CBSSports.com. According to The Commercial Appeal, Memphis will play in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic with Providence, Iowa and Virginia. So that's the explanation there. Tennessee is simply on a "restricted" list, according to an email a source told CBSSports.com the school sent to a UT official. Nichols' sister is a Tennessee student.

Nichols averaged 13.3 points and 6.1 rebounds last season for the Tigers.

He projected as their best returning player.

-Gary Parrish CBS

I hate that schools have the power to impose transfer restrictions at all. Can we hold coaches or schools accountable in similar ways? Oh, right, of course not. Only the guys that actually play the game.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate that schools have the power to impose transfer restrictions at all. Can we hold coaches or schools accountable in similar ways? Oh, right, of course not. Only the guys that actually play the game.

It's so wrong and needs to be changed. I can understand conference schools but that's it.

Just remember wonderful Memphis fans, Pastner ain't getting fired!! You're stuck with him and Daddy Lawson for at least 4 more years. And as you can see you can have Top 5 recruiting classes but Memphis can't win with them!!
How about Josh? Right now he is the greatest coach in Memphis History!! Ha Ha!!:rock:

The restrictions against conference schools were expected, pretty much every school does that. Beyond that I was a little surprised. The AD supposedly enforced the restrictions, but it's always really up to the head coach. Really gives you an idea of how far the program has slid under Pastner if he's worried about UT stealing players. He'll be gone by the end of this season, and it can't come soon enough.

Just remember wonderful Memphis fans, Pastner ain't getting fired!! You're stuck with him and Daddy Lawson for at least 4 more years. And as you can see you can have Top 5 recruiting classes but Memphis can't win with them!!
How about Josh? Right now he is the greatest coach in Memphis History!! Ha Ha!!:rock:

You think Pastner is coaching at Memphis for 4 more years?

VN Store

Back