General Neyland vs Bear Byrant

Posters keep bringing up Neyland's record vs Bryant at UK. I'm gonna include Bryant's record vs Dickey at UF.

Did you bother to read the thread title or the original post? The thread is to discuss neyland against Bryant. Bryant didn't only coach bama. Therefore bryants failure to beat neyland while coach at uk is perfectly relevant.try to keep up.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't recall Huntley and Brinkley slamming Bama.

There are several books that do more service to the subject than I'm capable of (assuming that the absence of crayons doesn't throw you):

About Bama's issues in particular:

The Missing Ring by Keith Dunnavant & Turning of the Tide by Don Yaeger

The absolute authority on the integration of college sports is

Benching Jim Crow by Charles H Martin

Did you bother to read the thread title or the original post? The thread is to discuss neyland against Bryant. Bryant didn't only coach bama. Therefore bryants failure to beat neyland while coach at uk is perfectly relevant.try to keep up.

Which is why when another poster brings up Dickey's record against Bryant, his record at Florida is also relevant.

I didn't change the subject, I simply followed it.

Did you bother to read the thread title or the original post?

Shoot, thanks for reminding me. The OP really confused me. Starts out saying, "Something or somebody is terribly wrong," as if he is responding to other people, but he's the OP in the thread. And no reference to a TV program, or a recently-published book, or anything like that. He just kicks in with a new thread, clearly referring to someone/something else, but never says what.

Later in his post, OP says something like, "so there's no way they could've played 16 times," again as if in response to another post. But he's the OP.

So anyone understand what gives? Who/what the OP was responding to?

Thanks!

Shoot, thanks for reminding me. The OP really confused me...

Later in his post, OP says something like, "so there's no way they could've played 16 times," again as if in response to another post. But he's the OP.

So anyone understand what gives? Who/what the OP was responding to?

Thanks!

It probably made more sense in February of 2009.

Which is why when another poster brings up Dickey's record against Bryant, his record at Florida is also relevant.

I didn't change the subject, I simply followed it.

Then stupidity set in and posted this:

Posters keep bringing up Neyland's record vs Bryant at UK. I'm gonna include Bryant's record vs Dickey at UF.

It probably made more sense in February of 2009.

Yeah, perhaps so. But can't for the life of me imagine what VN might all have been watching or listening to together on the 24th of February, 2009, to which he felt comfortable responding without any reference at all.

Just seems very odd to me, the completely missing context of that post.

EDIT: Ah, hold on, I have a theory. Maybe Post #6 was originally the OP ... it has an "OP" kind of feel to it. And the guy in post #1 and everyone after him were responding to that. Then somehow over the past six years, some glitch in the forums caused post #6's time stamp to change to 4 hours later, moving it down to its current position. Okay, having imagined a plausible explanation, this is suddenly much less interesting to me as a mystery. Hehe, disregard all after bonjour. :)

Last edited:
1970s Bama is the greatest dynasty in the history of the SEC. Maybe UT doesn't lose 11 straight if Dickey stays. But they don't hang with Bama, because no one hung with Bama.

But you're arguing facts that aren't...Dickey was in a groove at Tennessee. Maybe you're right and Bryant dominates him if he stays...but he didn't...so you can't be right...because it never happened. Said simply enough?

But you're arguing facts that aren't...Dickey was in a groove at Tennessee. Maybe you're right and Bryant dominates him if he stays...but he didn't...so you can't be right...because it never happened. Said simply enough?

I've made a supposition based upon the facts available. You are free to do the same.

I've made a supposition based upon the facts available. You are free to do the same.

Ok...cool...Dickey ups the ante and continues his phenomenal recruiting that Battle coasted on at the beginning. At least splits with Bryant based on previous head to head matchups (love them fact thingies) and Tennessee most likely wins one in 71 and at least one during the Condredge Holloway era (but c'mon! More than likely :victory:). Love this FACTS stuff! :w00t:

A lot of people say "Well the Bear was coaching at Kentucky of course he lost to Neyland!" But they fail to realize that Kentucky was actually good during those years

My dad played center for The Bear at Kentucky and Blanton Collier after Bryant left for the Junction City Boys. They were respectable in the early 50s. Bryant respected Neyland more than any other man in football.
It is well documented.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok...cool...Dickey ups the ante and continues his phenomenal recruiting that Battle coasted on at the beginning. At least splits with Bryant based on previous head to head matchups (love them fact thingies) and Tennessee most likely wins one in 71 and at least one during the Condredge Holloway era (but c'mon! More than likely :victory:). Love this FACTS stuff! :w00t:

So Holloway still comes to UT without the home state connection to Bill Battle?

So Holloway still comes to UT without the home state connection to Bill Battle?

In a sec...Dickey would let him play QB...that was the bigger sale. Bear was still weaning you guys off the racism thing. :)

If only UT fans could convince anyone outside of their own fanbase...

We're the ones that count on this board. :). Bet you'll load up on tacit approval on your own...if you're ever on there. :yess:

VN Store

Back