Justin Worley interview

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Heard him on the Sports Animal yesterday. Nice interview.

He was appreciative of the Browns giving him a chance and he's heading to Cleveland today (Thursday).

They originally estimated a 6-8 month recovery on his shoulder and it's only been six months, so it progressed a bit faster than expected. Otherwise he would have had to sit out this year and do Pro Day next year. Said he's between 80-85% right now, but he's been completely cleared by his surgeons.

He got a call from the Browns about 40 minutes after the draft ended.

Worley was asked about having to burn his redshirt as a freshman and said he doesn't have any bitter feelings about the decision that was made.

He reiterated that there were a lot of times people thought he was running a zone read, but he wasn't and said he didn't have the opportunity to keep the football. (can we beat this one to death some more around here? :) )

Worley said Butch is a very demanding coach and wants to get the most out of every single player he brings in.

He visit to Cleveland is just for a tryout. He hasn't been offered a contract or anything at this point.

https://soundcloud.com/knoxnews/gvx...-browns-mini-camp-invite-career-with-the-vols

Reactions: 21 people
Thanks Freak. Best of luck to this young man. I hope all his hard work pays off!!

Agreed. He seems like a good guy and he stuck it out even though Butch's offense probably isn't his ideal system. I'd love to see him get a shot in the NFL.

Reactions: 8 people
Agreed. He seems like a good guy and he stuck it out even though Butch's offense probably isn't his ideal system. I'd love to see him get a shot in the NFL.

Things would be a lot different had we had a solid offensive line in place at the start of last year. He would probably have gotten drafted and we would all be clueless about the gem we have behind center this year!

Things would be a lot different had we had a solid offensive line in place at the start of last year. He would probably have gotten drafted and we would all be clueless about the gem we have behind center this year!

I don't think so. We had a solid OL in '13. I know it was a new system, but Worley is what Worley is. Kid is tough as nails and I hope he has a great tryout.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think so. We had a solid OL in '13. I know it was a new system, but Worley is what Worley is. Kid is tough as nails and I hope he has a great tryout.

The type of player he was when healthy in 14 was night and day compared to what he was at any point in 13 even with the new O-line. I really felt like he turned a corner.

Reactions: 4 people
Best of luck to him. Guy is tough

Lord knows Cleveland needs QB help, so there may be a decent shot he at least sticks around on the practice squad

I wonder if Haslam owning the Browns had anything to do with them giving Worley a chance. Relationships are the name of the game. I sincerely hope Worley makes it. I always liked him and would love to see him succeed.

I wonder if Haslam owning the Browns had anything to do with them giving Worley a chance. Relationships are the name of the game. I sincerely hope Worley makes it. I always liked him and would love to see him succeed.

Maybe...but it's a tryout for a tryout. The rookie mini-camps are happening all over the NFL so this is a great way to bring in a lot of players.

This is also a chance for all the scouts to compare players in smaller groups. It's almost irrelevant he's at Cleveland because he's on stage for all 32 teams.

The type of player he was when healthy in 14 was night and day compared to what he was at any point in 13 even with the new O-line. I really felt like he turned a corner.

I agree 100 percent. Just look at the Georgia game when he missed a couple of drives. In 2013 it was a combination of learning the system combined with breaking in a bunch of brand new wide receivers.

TN has to be near the top in QB backups, right? I think our system over the years lends itself to the NFL. At least the guys that aren't world beaters can go out and make a living.

i ran into him coming out of neyland before the the o&w game, and talked to him for a few minutes. Seems like a really good young man. Wish him the best

Reactions: 2 people

Yes, this. I regret that we never got to see him progress through several games while at his best. I think it might have been truly impressive. On top of which, he proved to everyone paying attention that he's no quitter--has guts. Wish him the best of luck going forward.

In the gap scheme run game that Butch uses there is action like a zone read, but the QB does not have the option to keep the ball. That is what confuses so many fans. They blamed Worley for not keeping the ball when the play was not designed for that purpose. That's on the system and Jake for the play calls. I also agree, a real O-line without a true freshman center playing right tackle would have helped Worley since he is pro style passer. Water under the bridge now. Good luck to him.

He took a couple hits he has no business taking, not his fault either. Always carried himself well and never bad mouthed his O-line, even when it was clear that they were letting him down. Here's to a speedy recovery and a successful tryout.

Just a reminder that Matt Simms is still on an NFL roster. I think Worley could have a shot to make it too, even if scout team. Still great considering the things he had to deal with at UT with the Dooley tenure, injuries, Oline, etc. There haven't been many players I wanted to succeed in the NFL more than Worley.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe...but it's a tryout for a tryout. The rookie mini-camps are happening all over the NFL so this is a great way to bring in a lot of players.

This is also a chance for all the scouts to compare players in smaller groups. It's almost irrelevant he's at Cleveland because he's on stage for all 32 teams.

Of course, I didn't suggest anything otherwise so not sure why you feel it's necessary to point this out to me?

Worley was one tough dude. He was the most abused quaterback in Vol history. I wonder how many concussions he actually had from trying so hard to trust that O line. Coaches played him no matter how badly he was beat up. There were times, IMHO, that he should have been pulled just for the sake of his future health. :hi:

@JimmyHyams: Cleveland Browns trainer does not clear x-Vol QB Justin Worley (shoulder) to participate in mini-camp even though he'd been cleared by UT

This sucks.

Work ethic, composure, character, football intelligence, toughness Worley has very high marks in all of those categories. With the comments thus far which I mostly agree with it isn't clear we ever got a clear solid look at his actual football ability but I would submit he was starting to hit his stride in early 14 season before the beatdown set in which ultimately ended his season early.

If Worley can show some solid ability during this opportunity when you couple that with everything else he brings to the table I think it's a no brainier Worley makes one of the 32 available teams in some capacity. And I hope it's a roster spot at QB. I don't think we have seen the last chapter of Justin Worleys football career written yet. At least I really hope not.

The young man has been one of the finest examples of a collegiate athlete to ever wear the Power T. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for him.

Good luck In Cleveland Justin!

Edit: Aaaannnnddd just read the post above..... Dammit Dammit DAMMIT!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
agreed he was better in 14 behind that o-line. Honestly i think he would have put up all-sec numbers behind the 13 line. and the whole ridiculous zone-read "he shoulda ran it" conversation never happens.

VN Store

Back