Enough with the "We are back" talk

Shut up. Only you and a few others feel like this.

If we lost to Iowa you would be singing the fire butch song.

So go back to playing you sad songs about how bad your life is and let these kids enjoy them selves.

No, sir I would not. I have never stated anything negative about Coach Jones on this site. Once again, this is not about my love of the Vols but instead about the unrealistic expectations some of you are placing on this most young and inexperienced team.

Not that young. Not that inexperienced. You're still living in 2013 or early 2014. Catch up.

Oh, and stop telling people how they should think or feel. Particularly combined with an avatar photo of a guy putting a pistol in your face, it's flat-out challenging people to jack-slap you.

Ask Florida fans about Ron Zook

There is no comparison between Butch and Zook other than they both can/could recruit, but given the fact that Zook was riding the success of SOS and had a builtin instate advantage, I would give Butch the clear advantage as a recruiter.

Zook never improved upon his record in 3 seasons. Butch did so in season 2. Zook never beat a ranked opponent at home. Butch did so in season 1. Zook lost to 1-5 MSU in his last season, ehich helped cost him his job. Butch has suffered no such loss. Zook was check learly not ready for the UF job. So far Butch appears more than ready for the UT job.

Not that young. Not that inexperienced. You're still living in 2013 or early 2014. Catch up.

Oh, and stop telling people how they should think or feel. Particularly combined with an avatar photo of a guy putting a pistol in your face, it's flat-out challenging people to jack-slap you.

The stupidity knows no bounds. Do us both a favor, and join that 'good company' you spoke of and put me on ignore.

First loss the board will shut down.

That's something I think we all agree on. The argument will be who caused the board to shut down.

VN stands in unity when it comes to whether or not we think the board will meltdown. Of course it will. :)

We are back!

59e1ec1197d0b64ed0b2f8a57df12bc1.jpg
and here's the reason ..... :good!:

Beating average teams like sc and Iowa are the first step to getting back. Now Tennessee has to get to the point where it dominates average teams like fla was in '13 and '14, and beat a good team (close the deal vs an Okla, Ga, etc).

The last time we were this optimistic...Justin hunter went down the third offensive play of the game against Florida and that game (along with the rest of the season) went to hell in a hand basket

Reactions: 1 person
7-6 with a second top 5 recruiting class, which is where this program currently is, isn't "back".

"Back" is when we are favored to win virtually every game we play, when we consistently win 10-11 games, when we are a perennial top 10 program, when we win another SEC title and are in the hunt for a national title.

"Back" is when we're pissed because we only go 11-1 because we lost to Florida early and need them to lose a second game to keep our SEC title game hopes alive. We're not back yet.

Reactions: 2 people
What's the matter with being optimistic? Nobody except negavols want to go into every season thinking Tennessee sucks.

What's the matter with being optimistic? Nobody except negavols want to go into every season thinking Tennessee sucks.

I'm optimistic we can and will win at least 8 games this season. Things fall the right way, get a few breaks and we're 9-3, even possibly 10-2, though not very likely. I'm optimistic about our defense and our skill positions on offense. I'm optimistic that Evan Berry will be one of the top kick returners in the nation. I'm still in wait and see mode regarding Butch's coaching abilities...don't know I couldn't be.

I just wanted to define what being "back" means as it relates to the history of Tennessee football. 7-6 and making a mid-tier bowl game isn't remotely "back" imo. We're heading in the right direction and certainly closer than we've been in a very long time....just not there yet.

Not in my opinion.
When we start beating Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc., then, and only then, will we be BACK.

We are back when Tennessee wins 8-11 games a season

IMHO, 8 isn't enough. Do you remember during Fulmer's last year or 2 that it was publicly reported that his contract would automatically renew as long as he won at least 8 games? VolNation went ballistic! 8 wins is not back....10-12 (after a bowl win)is imo.

When a thread devolves to the point where it's an argument over semantics (in this case, the definition of 'back'), it has pretty much run its course.

When a thread devolves to the point where it's an argument over semantics (in this case, the definition of 'back'), it has pretty much run its course.

No, it's not semantics, it's the essence of the debate/question. You have to define what "back" means if you're going accurately discuss and debate it. When people say "back" they're talking about the era when Tennessee was playing for championships most every year and winning 10+ games. Think 1989-2004....16 seasons, 9.8 wins per year.....8 of those 16 seasons were 10+ wins....5 years with 9 wins....8 wins (3 times) was the floor. 16 seasons, 16 bowl games, a national championship and multiple SEC championships.

If you can't define how many wins denotes being "back", how can you accurately discuss it? You can't imo.

I suppose "back" could mean.......above .500.

We're back above .500 in wins. It's been a few years, but we're back.

Then again, it could "back" as in....."we're back to beating Kentucky and Vanderbilt it the same year".

Optimism should be as high for Tennesse as any team in the SEC east. With any improvement in player development, Vols should be no worse than even with other East opponents. Butch & company were close last year & should be better this year!!

Go Vols

No, it's not semantics, it's the essence of the debate/question. You have to define what "back" means if you're going accurately discuss and debate it. When people say "back" they're talking about the era when Tennessee was playing for championships most every year and winning 10+ games. Think 1989-2004....16 seasons, 9.8 wins per year.....8 of those 16 seasons were 10+ wins....5 years with 9 wins....8 wins (3 times) was the floor. 16 seasons, 16 bowl games, a national championship and multiple SEC championships.

If you can't define how many wins denotes being "back", how can you accurately discuss it? You can't imo.

Yeah, my point is, you're no longer discussing football. Not really. It's just the platform. All you're talking about is the semantics of the phrase "we're back." You could do that in an English class on the Knoxville campus.

Football discussion = do we win 8 next year? 10? How can Dobbs get more accurate? Will our offensive line improve significantly?

Semantics = what do you mean by more accurate? How much improvement is 'significant' improvement?

See the difference?

And on-line discussions rarely flow from semantics back to substance. Other way around. They start out with substance, then devolve into semantics debates. *shrug* I don't know why, it just tends to work that way in online chat forums.

Once it devolves to a semantics discussion, it's pretty much done, you can stick a fork in it.

Last edited:
Yeah, my point is, you're no longer discussing football. Not really. It's just the platform. All you're talking about is the semantics of the phrase "we're back." You could do that in an English class on the Knoxville campus.

Football discussion = do we win 8 next year? 10? How can Dobbs get more accurate? Will our offensive line improve significantly?

Semantics = what do you mean by more accurate? Define win. How much improvement is 'significant' improvement?

See the difference?

When it devolves to a semantics discussion, it's pretty much done, you can put a fork in it.

What do you mean by put a fork in it?

:)

Semantics = what do you mean by more accurate? How much improvement is 'significant' improvement?

See the difference?

And on-line discussions rarely flow from semantics back to substance. Other way around. They start out with substance, then devolve into semantics debates. *shrug* I don't know why, it just tends to work that way in online chat forums.

Once it devolves to a semantics discussion, it's pretty much done, you can stick a fork in it.

Call it whatever you want. When Vols fans who have a sense of our history say "we're back", it's a reference to when Tennessee was relevant, winning the overwhelming majority of its games and winning championships to some level. Seriously doubt anybody thinks we're back to being relevant on a national level by going 7-6 or 2 games over .500. If that's a semantic exercise so be it. It's worthy of setting the parameters or standards for the debate imo.

VN Store

Back