Recruiting Forum: Football Talk XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I can tell all of Vol Nation that I am 100 percent committed to building this football program that's developing great young men, one that wins championships for many years to come," Jones said during his weekly appearance on 'Vol Calls.' "We are driven to do that. We love Tennessee. My family loves Tennessee. Vol Nation has been unbelievable to us. You know I am a loyal person, so that's all I need to say."

Is that you in the white with Tux standing behind you in this picture?

How would I be offended?...my post was in reference to the idea that he would be confused because of the material on here...instead of his coaches.

I was asking for none of the rest of these guys to be offended since we are all part of this collective.

You, I don't care about. :p

The most telling sign of what Dobbs brings to the offense is the fact that Dobbs personally had 2 turnovers and nobody even remembers them. He brought so many positives and so much energy to the offense that we are willing to overlook the turnovers because it comes with his ability to make plays. If Worley turns it over twice he gets hammered because he doesn't have the ability to get those plays right back.

Reactions: 4 people
He says "building this program," which clearly refers to Tennessee and is accurate based on what he's already doing. But then he refers to "building a program" that wins championships. That's less specific - he could be referring to Michigan, or any future program for that matter.

He left himself a bunch of wiggle room with this quote...

Where's the blue font?

I'll play Devil's Advocate... If our defense wasn't performing like they are, say they were performing worse than last year, how many of y'all would want us to go after Muschamp for DC once he gets fired?

The most telling sign of what Dobbs brings to the offense is the fact that Dobbs personally had 2 turnovers and nobody even remembers them. He brought so many positives and so much energy to the offense that we are willing to overlook the turnovers because it comes with his ability to make plays. If Worley turns it over twice he gets hammered because he doesn't have the ability to get those plays right back.

Here is an article on the changes Coach Jake made with Dobbs in the game. We ran lots of different schemes for Dobbs. Football Concepts | Football Scheme Breakdowns – Tennessee Vols, Philadelphia Eagles, and others
We ran plays which we never ran for Worley.

Vols have offered '16 IN WR Austin Mack. Mike Wilson of Mich St scout said it is a big offer for him and he has talked about UT for the past 2 years in interviews

I'll play Devil's Advocate... If our defense wasn't performing like they are, say they were performing worse than last year, how many of y'all would want us to go after Muschamp for DC once he gets fired?

I would until those prick comments he made. I hope he never coaches again.

Reactions: 2 people
That is an awesome site.

Is anyone else not a little aggravated by this? That it took us this long.

A big reason for Dobbs’ success was adjustments to the gameplan by Jones and offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian. The Vols have been known for their zone running scheme. This is what their offensive is built around. Against Alabama, Bajakian went away from the zone runs and actually called more gap runs than zone runs for the first time since he has been at Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
That is an awesome site.

I see a theme:

Unfortunately, Crowder completely missed his block.

Unfortunately, center Mack Crowder ended up on the ground and a defensive tackle came free to make the tackle.

Crowder is not fast enough and the weakside linebacker gets by him

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I see a theme:

Unfortunately, Crowder completely missed his block.

Unfortunately, center Mack Crowder ended up on the ground and a defensive tackle came free to make the tackle.

Crowder is not fast enough and the weakside linebacker gets by him

It seems like everytime we run a play where Crowder has to get to the 2nd level and make a block in space he gets lost. Namely draw plays. He seems to be doing a bit better at holding his own at the line (not great, but better than the start of the year), but he struggles in space.

It seems like everytime we run a play where Crowder has to get to the 2nd level and make a block in space he gets lost. Namely draw plays. He seems to be doing a bit better at holding his own at the line (not great, but better than the start of the year), but he struggles in space.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to see that much detail, but I see him whif a lot and step the wrong way. Would love to see Weisman there or even coleman since he belongs in the middle.

So i was looking at stats and hurd has about 600 total yards on the year so far. With dobbs helping open up some lanes for him and taking some of the focus off of him do yall think he can get to over 1000 total yards on the year? Hes averaging about 75 total per game so far and the competition is finally letting up some so 100 yards a game should be pretty attainable.

So i was looking at stats and hurd has about 600 total yards on the year so far. With dobbs helping open up some lanes for him and taking some of the focus off of him do yall think he can get to over 1000 total yards on the year? Hes averaging about 75 total per game so far and the competition is finally letting up some so 100 yards a game should be pretty attainable.

Jalen Hurd is on pace to finish the regular season with approximately 910 total yards (740 yards rushing & 170 yards receiving). He currently is sitting with 581 total yards (473 + 108) with 3 total TDs.

I think it is very possible for Hurd to eclipse the 1,000 total offensive yards mark though. The defensive talent and competition of UT's final 4 opponents is not impressive & the new offensive system that will revolve around Dobbs and his dual-threat ability should open up the door for Hurd to string off some breakout performances.

Hurd is elite. Hurd will rack up ridiculous statistics & highlight plays the next 2-3 seasons IF UT can surround him with a competent O-Line & OC.

It's unfortunate the way several things have fallen into place for Hurd this season. The combination of an unbelievably horrid O-Line, a mediocre OC, an offensive system that doesn't appeal to Hurd's downhill running style, & minor injuries has really hurt Jalen's statistics and stock as a big-time college football player.

Jalen has shown flashes of greatness already. In an early-season 3 game stretch against Arkansas State, at Oklahoma, and at UGA, the true freshmen was at his best rushing for an average of 100 yards per contest, while averaging 5.0 yards a carry & recording 2 big rushing TDs. Two of those performances were on the road against the #4 and #12 ranked teams in the country. That is big-time for a true freshmen, IMO.

I would like to see Hurd get a little tougher & a little less injury prone, but the skill and talent is certainly there. I believe UT will attempt to dial up running plays for Hurd that better match his skill-set & try to create mismatches these last 4 games of the season. I think Hurd will capitalize on these big opportunities & really catch on at the tail end of the season.

IMO, Jalen Hurd will end the regular season averaging around 115 rushing yards per game & finish his true-freshmen regular season total with approximately 1,175 total yards and 10 total TDs (930 rushing yards and 7 TDs & 245 receiving yards and 3 TDs).

Reactions: 7 people
A little less injury prone? Only real game he left was Florida if I remember right.

He left the Florida game early and at several key points throughout the game. He was banged up that entire next week of practice & then came out and ran only 2 plays the first series against Chattanooga before sitting the rest of the game.

With that in mind, I'm sure Hurd only playing 2 snaps against Chattanooga was intended to fully rest him & heal his injuries suffered the week earlier against Florida. UT didn't need Hurd to beat Chatt.

I wasn't necessarily saying Hurd has a major injury problem or that was a huge weakness or anything. Jalen is tough and runs hard every play.

I was just stating my opinion that he needs to stay healthy. Yes, UT didn't need Hurd against Chattanooga, but they could have probably used him more against Florida. Hurd has already missed pretty much a full game and a half through only 8 games into his true freshmen season.

That certainly isn't a major problem or concern right now. Hurd is young and gives it his all every down. But if you combine Hurd's minor injuries this early into his young college football career with the fact he missed his entire senior season of high school, then it is definitely a topic at least worth mentioning, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back