Hubbs O-Line Analysis

Both GA games I can chalk up to experience and the whole "learning to win" spill.

Still don't like seeing them give away games with turnovers but t happened.

The Florida and Vandy game were inexcusable. There is absolutely nothing that can explain those away IMO.

Guess I am old school but I'll never concede it's OK to lose to Vandy.

This years GA game - I just saw as both sides made mistakes.
Theirs is the reason we were close, ours is the reason we didn't pull it off.
The much better team won but that is not the case with Vandy and UF.

Decent - usually 4 years unless there is major complications.

Wins - 8 min. quality, I can't say because SEC is everchanging at the moment.
So you are saying that in four full recruiting cycles... mid-pack would be good enough for you?

This may be the point of our biggest disagreement. I want to see UT competing for the East as a minimum within 4 years... that will likely take 10 wins. And honestly... I don't think 5 wins this year followed by 6 next year should be good enough.

Other people seeing progress - the O is bad but the D is improved. = glass half full. I try to see it positive until
at least yr 4. I honestly am not a "he is the guy" type but "wait and see".
If he doesn't, I'll grab my pitchfork and join you.
We only disagree it appears on whether and how to criticize the bad right now. Maybe on expectations but I'd like for you to clarify that.

I think it would be terribly destructive to fire Jones after this season barring an 0-5 finish. But I DO think that expectations MUST be raised next year. That's where I'd say 8 wins minimum... and especially if they don't go bowling this year.

You bragging on your job skills again - just buy your own college and hire whom ever you like.
It ain't bragging if its the truth... and honestly, it is. Here's another. I have neither the money nor the ability to run a college... nor do I have the ability to fix the engine of my car. But I can tell the difference between success and failure at both.
Surely you have made enough in bonuses.
EDIT- the job skills remark was in jest.
just trying to lighten you up.

:thumbsup: No problem at all.

You're a good Vol fan... just understand that I am too. I just don't care for empty promises any more. I want to see something better... not just be asked to place blind faith in seeing something better... some day.

Finally heard some sensible analysis of the O-Line with Hubbs on 104.5 this morning.

Following were his talking points:

1) Two lineman are playing out of position:
Coleman Thomas and Kyler K.

2) Next year's O-Line success depends on a couple of things. Number one being Blair's development and ability to play tackle. He said with a redshirt he should be ready to go and is instrumental in providing stability for our Oline as a natural tackle.

3) The physical development of the Freshman from this year. He really stressed that Thomas especially is 18 and was playing small time HS ball last year and simply wasn't physically ready for this role. Another year of strength and conditioning should provide an enormous boost.

4) Don't expect major development this year. You have guys playing out of position because they are the best we have. Hubbs agreed that roster depletion was traumatic to this OLine. And once we gain ground there we will see a big difference.

Get off the ledge fellas. It's just the way it is.

Many of us who post here have given the same analysis of the OL. If Hubbs says it, it must be correct.

It’s both arguments really…
- They are young and need to be developed, yet are more skilled than those who’ve been there longer.
- AND the coaches are good, yet questions will always be raised when you do not see any productivity from one week to the next. This is fixed, in most people’s minds, by either seeing adjustments being made for either play calling that fit our strengths or better OL performance (though they prefer both)

These issues also tie into recruiting. I think seeing how well our defense has played, we know our coaches can coach as they have gotten a lot better. Recruits want to have confidence in their coaches, know they are joining a winning program. Of course.. playing in front of 100,000 plus fans on Saturday’s goes a long way too.

Dewayne Hendrix. 4-0 2 tackles. Mainly ST

Derek Barnett. 7-4 38 tackles. 4 sacks. Hugh contributor.

Dimarya Mixon. 7-0 4 tackles.

Michael Sawyers. 3-0 2 tackles. Limited play.

Colton Jumper. Has not played this yr.

Dillon Bates. 4-0 6 tackles. Limited action. Out for the season

D'Andre Payne. 5-0 3 tackles. Primarily ST.

Emmanuel Mosley. 7-0 6 tackles. Got first real action other that ST and it showed.

Todd Kelly JR. 7-2 20 tackles. 2 INTs. Major contributor.

Cortez McDowell 7-0 9 tackles. Primarily ST.

Limited impact on defence from all but 2 players. The turn around on defense is mainly due to coaching.

It's about being able to finally rotate fresh bodies in that has made the d look better and having continuity in the defensive scheme. Every play that one of the freshman can play rather it be ST or on D is one less play a starter has to play

FWIW, the schedule also cooperates a bit more next fall. OU plays at Neyland with the Vols returning somewhere around 40 players from their current two deep. None of the other OOC opponents are as good as ASU was this year. The West is pretty strong top to bottom but Arkansas is about the best draw you can hope for right now. UGA loses Gurley, five starters on D (including Drew, Herrera, and the top two DT's), and will have a new QB. UF will either still be a mess or will be breaking in a new coach.

There are lots of reasons from about 300 days away to expect an easier ride next fall.

FWIW, the schedule also cooperates a bit more next fall. OU plays at Neyland with the Vols returning somewhere around 40 players from their current two deep. None of the other OOC opponents are as good as ASU was this year. The West is pretty strong top to bottom but Arkansas is about the best draw you can hope for right now. UGA loses Gurley, five starters on D (including Drew, Herrera, and the top two DT's), and will have a new QB. UF will either still be a mess or will be breaking in a new coach.

There are lots of reasons from about 300 days away to expect an easier ride next fall.

I agree if Jones is going to get it done next year will be the year that the proof is in the pudding per say. He finally catches a break with a weaker schedule and he will have plenty of depth on both sides of the ball. Of course there will still be questions with the QB and the o-line but if some how the o-line is improved next year it should be easier to hide inexperience in the QB position.

The schedule in the SEC is always going to be tough but the last few years it has been brutal and we seem to always draw the west team that is having a great year.

Last edited:
:
So you are saying that in four full recruiting cycles... mid-pack would be good enough for you?

This may be the point of our biggest disagreement. I want to see UT competing for the East as a minimum within 4 years... that will likely take 10 wins. And honestly... I don't think 5 wins this year followed by 6 next year should be good enough.

We only disagree it appears on whether and how to criticize the bad right now. Maybe on expectations but I'd like for you to clarify that.

I think it would be terribly destructive to fire Jones after this season barring an 0-5 finish. But I DO think that expectations MUST be raised next year. That's where I'd say 8 wins minimum... and especially if they don't go bowling this year.

It ain't bragging if its the truth... and honestly, it is. Here's another. I have neither the money nor the ability to run a college... nor do I have the ability to fix the engine of my car. But I can tell the difference between success and failure at both.

:thumbsup: No problem at all.

You're a good Vol fan... just understand that I am too. I just don't care for empty promises any more. I want to see something better... not just be asked to place blind faith in seeing something better... some day.

The 8 win minimum is not my idea of success And is the minimum and that would have him on the hotseat with everyone . But most likely would get him another year if we played the toughest schedule... just being honest.

We do disagree on next year. I would love for the offense to be good enough for 8 but expect 7

as far as fixing your car - given this line " I don't think 5 wins this year followed by 6 next year",
Sounds like you would be trying to fix a problem that hasn't happened yet. But that is where I always end up seperating with both sides. sunshine and nega
I just don't possess this esp that you guys do. :)

Sutton, Barnett, O. Williams, M. Williams, Reeves-Mabin, Kelly Jr., Vereen, Mixon, D. Hendrix, Weatherd, Moseley, McDowell, Jakob Johnson and Swafford are listed on the defense's two-deep and were all signed by Jones. I'm sure there's more that have contributed.
Sutton committed to CDD on 08/07/12,

Barnett Hugh contributer,

O. Williams Contributer,

M. Williams Contributer,

Reeves-Mabin committed to CDD on 08/10/12,

Kelly Jr. Hugh contributer,

Vereen commited to CDD on 03/02/12,

Mixon Limited contributer,

D. Hendrix Limited contributer,

Weatherd,

Moseley Mainly ST until last week,

McDowell ST,

Jakob Johnson ST,

Swafford Mainly playing ST this season.

Now the point in my comment is that the improvement in our defense from last year to this year has a whole lot more to do with coaching than it does new recruits.

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully Mosley and Blair will be ready at OT next season. I think once he gets a year of S&C and footwork/quickness, Coleman Thomas will be an awesome OL. He has the frame for an OT and he knows how to play Center. Maybe we are in a position to redshirt either Thomas or Wiesman next year.

I think Raulerson is redshirting this year. RS FR Kendrick and Sanders are getting valuable reps and at least one of them, probably Kendrick, will make a big leap in performance next season.

Pair and Gilliam are the only SR OL that will be lost.

Needs more offensive linemen in next year's recruiting class. Jones lack of foresight by not recruiting more offensive linemen last year is evident this year. He continues to recruit more "athletes" that haven't significantly helped the team. Dominance at the line of scrimmage contributes more to winning games than anything else.

Yes recruiting is the easiest part of being a football coach in the SEC. You just pick a guy and ask him to play for you ..... And they say yes.

Reactions: 2 people
Strong words here and apologize in advance.....THE LEVEL OF STUPIDITY HERE IS ASTOUNDING YET ENTERTAINING....goodness VN the man has coached 19 games at UT....11 of which were against teams ranked #12 or higher..,, please stop this sissy whining and crying..,

Needs more offensive linemen in next year's recruiting class. Jones lack of foresight by not recruiting more offensive linemen last year is evident this year. He continues to recruit more "athletes" that haven't significantly helped the team. Dominance at the line of scrimmage contributes more to winning games than anything else.

Freshmen cant play in this League on the OL, now sir if you give MR. Jones a year with theses FRESMEN I really think Mr. Jones OL might some how come close to your standards, I really think you will see significantly improvement if Mr. Jones is given the proper time, and I think Mr. Jones D-line will seek and destroy opposing teams in the 2015 season that some how just might reach the dominance that have not meet your standards.:glare:

It's about being able to finally rotate fresh bodies in that has made the d look better and having continuity in the defensive scheme. Every play that one of the freshman can play rather it be ST or on D is one less play a starter has to play

I agree that it helps some, but we're talking about a group of players that many said were too slow and not talented enough to play in the SEC. All you have to do is look at all the threads from last year talking about how AJ was too slow to play at the next lvl.
Those are the guys that have turned this defense around. Not so much the new guys.
I believe better coaching may have that affect on some of our linemen.

Yes recruiting is the easiest part of being a football coach in the SEC. You just pick a guy and ask him to play for you ..... And they say yes.

Man some of these fans think its that easy, man its makes you want to bang your head against the wall.:banghead2:Some of our fans think Coach Jones can go down to the Local WAL-MART and put in a order for a whole OL I think, you just cant make that 20 percent understand, it takes time and you cant makes these young men grow 2 years in 2 months, and that's what that 20 percent thinks, even in pop warner you got to have a OL.:sad:

Staffs lack of foresight was good enough to be #5 in the nation........ Keep on failing staff you'll make it to #3 next year...

At this stage I'm not sure it could get worse short of us forfeiting games before they start. We have not scored a TD in 2 SEC games and our QB is 0 and 5 as in 0 td's and 5int's. Additionally he's taken more sacks than a potato factory.

Would you quit with the facts already?

You're scaring the pumpers...

Would you quit with the facts already?

You're scaring the pumpers...

Lulz - get sad or get drunk. You almost have to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Apparently now flu is running through the team. Hello shower discipline.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but Fulmer, being an offensive line coach, never had these types of OL issues. Even if Dooley didn't take an offensive linemen that one recruiting class, you'd think we'd have a few decent kids to plug in here to get the job done. Maybe we need to go to the zone blocking scheme the Broncos used (with smaller linemen) and cut block since we don't have the huge linemen required to run other schemes. JMO.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but Fulmer, being an offensive line coach, never had these types of OL issues. Even if Dooley didn't take an offensive linemen that one recruiting class, you'd think we'd have a few decent kids to plug in here to get the job done. Maybe we need to go to the zone blocking scheme the Broncos used (with smaller linemen) and cut block since we don't have the huge linemen required to run other schemes. JMO.

We will run our scheme with whatever young players we have and you will like it.

Reactions: 2 people

The offense line for the clawffense was pretty terrible, and That was Fulmers last season as HC.

VN Store

Back