If VA Tech can beat Ohio State, why wouldn't we have a shot?

I find it problematic that, if one were to tally up OU's strengths and UT's weaknesses, what one would expect OU to do well doesn't favor our current talent/experience.

Do we have a chance at winning this game? Absolutely.
Am I going to predict a Vols win?
Absolutely not

The issue is that every single big play, penalty, etc. has to go the Vols way. In addition, we have to play exceptionally well and OU has to play one of the worst games they've ever played against a 3 TD underdog. It doesn't look good.

However, I'll be there wearing orange.

I understand your thinking on this one but difference and similarities are there. In the end I hope we cover the line of 21 or whatever it is. Go vols

It's obvious you get your information from ESPN. They are the only ones who say this. Anyone who has watched him knows he's the real deal. He my get a little over-excited once in a while and overthrow a receiver but he'll bounce back and break a 30 yard run on the next play Oh, and a little stat for you: OU has never lost a game that he has started. Let that sink in :)

Saban believes, why don't you??
You don't happen to know who won the Oklahoma Bama game do you? I looked over your posts and I haven't seen you mention it.

These two games could not be any farther apart in story line and experience difference. Had the Hokies gone in there with true freshmen starting and playing on both sides of the ball in key roles with Ohio States starting QB then there might be a comparison to be had.

Va Tech at Oklahoma would be less than a TD spread imo.

Was the OSU QB not the same kid that came in last year when Miller was out? I think Miller was out what 1 or 2 games last year?

Ohio St. was and still is way overrated,didn't Clemson blow the buckeyes out in bowl last season? beamer ball always coaches his talent up
Ooh! Blowing buckeyes out in a bowl doesn't sound like much fun. I've done something similar after eating Papa John's before.

I'll begin this post by acknowledging our youth & inexperience as well as our tremendous attrition the past several years. Everyone knows the recruiting rankings don't tell the entire story. However, after watching a considerably less 'talented' VA Tech dominate a perennial top 5 recruiting (and ranking) power in Ohio State last week, I can't help but think we might at least hang with OU, if not have a mild chance of pulling the upset.

Here are the average Rivals recruiting ratings the last four years for the teams involved in both games:

Virginia Tech 26
Ohio State 5

Tennessee 15
Oklahoma 14

Of course, our best talent heavily leans young, but there's no reason to think, with some luck and the right coaching, that we couldn't pull this one out. At the very least, we shouldn't go into the game with any kind of inferiority complex, which seems to be the attitude of some posters here. They play the game for a reason!

I agree, I think we could handle tOSU.

Oklahoma may be the better team on paper and on the field but to think that they will blow away UT just because is ludicrous IMO, look who they've blown out, Tulsa and LA Tech, this doesn't mean they can do it against a quality SEC opponent, is UT ready for the big boys? No probably not but don't think that coaching and emotions can't go a long way, plus keep in mind that Stoops is always prone to drop one that he shouldn't, so let's hope the turnovers are in our favor and that the Vols play with reckless abandon for 4 quarters and who knows it may be the big upset win we're all hoping for.

Has anyone mentioned that OSU was without their starting Heisman hopeful QB? :)

You can't base predictions on recruiting ranking that don't account for attrition which we have had a TON of.

This is an interesting thread. But, no one explains how a team that averaged 26 in Rivals recruiting can beat a team that averaged 5 over 5 years. We know anything can happen in any game, but it seems to me that the VT coaching must account for the superior performance of Virginia Tech.

This is an interesting thread. But, no one explains how a team that averaged 26 in Rivals recruiting can beat a team that averaged 5 over 5 years. We know anything can happen in any game, but it seems to me that the VT coaching must account for the superior performance of Virginia Tech.

Exactly.

And, wouldn't most agree that our coaching is pretty solid? Of course, it doesn't mean we'll win - but I won't be surprised if we keep it close.

Exactly.

And, wouldn't most agree that our coaching is pretty solid? Of course, it doesn't mean we'll win - but I won't be surprised if we keep it close.

Pretty solid I agree. But, Virginia Tech never ends up in the top of Rivals recruiting, and hardly ever close to Tennessee. Yet, they have outstanding teams year in and year out, except a little off last year. I don't think our staff have proven themselves yet to be compared to VT staff. Considering what we spend, it is a testament to Football Administration at UT. As this staff gains time with the recruits we will see. Of course we play a much more difficult schedule than VT.

To matter how we spin OK is a better team than us this year. Upsets do happen sometimes. I have high hopes for next year.

Well, "clueless" is up for some interpretation but things like this can't help.

We'll I admit I was wrong about Oregon, I do think we are better then them though and hope we schedule them in two years so we can return the favor.

Was the OSU QB not the same kid that came in last year when Miller was out? I think Miller was out what 1 or 2 games last year?

No, Braxton was replaced with Kenny Guiton. He was a senior. OSU also replaced 4 out of 5 offensive linemen and has no bruising RB like they had last year. They were way over-rated coming into this year.

I'm not a fan of either, but if I'm not mistaken, Meyer out coached Stoops in a national championship several years ago when OK supposedly had the better team. I think Stoops is one of the most overrated coaches in America. Again, I can't stand Stoops either.

OU played w/o Demarco Murray in the natty game. He amassed 2800 all purpose yards that year. OU also fumbled 2 times inside UF 10 yard line and failed to score a TD( to on downs) on another. OU outplayed UF that game. Killed themselves with costly turnovers.

VN Store

Back