'15 TN OT Drew Richmond (Former Ole Miss commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIAP

Even with the planned announcement, Simmons noted that Richmond will likely take other visits. The Vols have done a sensational job recruiting under head coach Butch Jones. If they miss on the in-state prospect, it could be considered a blow for the time being, but expect them to keep pressing.

Simmons added, "It's hard because as effective as Butch Jones has been recruiting, Memphis is still six hours away from Knoxville. It would be a huge win for Ole Miss. They had a great recruiting cycle the year they got Robert Nkemdiche, but they still need the kind of response regularly to be able to land a kid with Alabama and Ohio State among a list of favorites. This has the opportunity to be a real statement get for Ole Miss."

KynonCodrington: Mon 02:48pm 4* OL Drew Richmond (@TheDream_75) set to decide, @bartonsimmons weighs in - Kynon's Korner: Marcus Mariota's Possible Heir, LeBron James & the No. 1 Recruit | Bleacher Report. #OleMiss. #Vols. http://t.co/PxuvpFIxJq

BxCC52nIcAAEzL4.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Yea I agree. And I don't fall in with the crowd about it's not over until nsd. I think the staff stays on him until they flip someone else and then move on. They will have him replaced by the end of November IMO.

Yeah, I don't buy into the "they will try to push for him till NSD talk". IMO CBJ will fill the spot and not wait. Most felt Blair was our big time LT get. For all we know, Jack Jones could end up being 2x the LT Richmond ever is. Yes, I'd liked to have seen Drew in Orange and see them battle. Looks like he will choose Ole Miss. I say fill the spot and don't worry about it.

Hate losing this kid to ole miss if true. Thought for sure he was a vol. Its tough to pull kids out of Memphis. I still expect us to recruit him afterwards but seems like a kid that will stick to his commitment.

Yeah, I don't buy into the "they will try to push for him till NSD talk". IMO CBJ will fill the spot and not wait. Most felt Blair was our big time LT get. For all we know, Jack Jones could end up being 2x the LT Richmond ever is. Yes, I'd liked to have seen Drew in Orange and see them battle. Looks like he will choose Ole Miss. I say fill the spot and don't worry about it.

I don't even think this is questionable. You can't wait anymore. No matter if we agree in the direction of our OL recruiting or not, I think we all can agree that we still have a need at T. It might not be a LT, but we do need a tackle prospect. As you said, Jones maybe Hall could be the elite LT we have looked for, but IMO the more highly talented OL recruits you can get the better. Then it's all about coaching them up.

Butch Jones will recruit this kid till he finishes the "d" in Richmond on his NLI.

He might. IMO if CBJ is going to get a kid like Sweet to flip from UNC, he's going to have to go all in to get him. Tough to sell a kid on being "the man" and getting them to flip their commitment if you're all hugged up to Richmond. Sweet did not choose UNC over Tennessee IMO. Tennessee was not ready to take him till now. Richmond knows he is UT's #1 OL want and he is choosing another SEC school. I say focus on Sweet and let Richmond be a rebel or a bear or whatever they are now.

JMO

Reactions: 3 people
I'd dump this kid and put full steam on as many elite OL as I could. Without Richmond I believe we need two more OL now just to make up for losing a home run player like Richmond. You can't get pissed about it. You can't get down about it. We have to much going for us to worry about it. It's Memphis, and this has been going on for a very long time. Am I very concerned about our lack of landing top OL, especially OT prospects? Absolutely? Do I think OL coaching and recruiting is a weak link on our current staff? Absolutely. I know some people that have some serious ties to UT being the big donors they are, and this was the one concern they mentioned over and over again with CBJs staff from Cincy. I'm not trying to be that guy that says I know ppl, but I do, and everything they have said has been spot on. It is what it is. Main thing we need to worry about right now is putting full focus on getting at least one more OT prospect here by NSD. Let's just all back CBJ, and let's see what happens, and if things don't change in the future I'm sure CBJ will make the appropriate changes.

Their one concern with Butch and staff was that with him coming from Cincy and all that he couldn't recruit a stud LT? Confused.

I've had a bad feeling about Richmond for a while. Also we haven't had a ton of success with Memphis kids lately.

That said, hope he shocks everybody and picks the Vols. I don't like how these CB predictions ruin the surprise for everybody. Would be nice to see them all get it wrong for once and it go our way.

Have to agree with this post. It has appeared to me that he was looking at several schools as an excuse not to come to UT. Bama and Ohio State were both in the picture at one time. And when you give immediate playing time at UT I think he is just not sold on our program.

Their one concern with Butch and staff was that with him coming from Cincy and all that he couldn't recruit a stud LT? Confused.

Sorry KB I wasn't trying to make that confusing. I was stating that the main concern among some higher donors I know is whether CBJ and Mahoney could recruit top OL, not just LTs, over teams like Bama, etc. Guard wise I think we are good to go. I think Sanders, Boulware, Wiesman, Robertson, and Stewart all have great potential. I worry about Stewart's ability to pass block top DL, but in all that's some very good young talent at G. I think Kendrick, Jones, Hall, and Thomas all provide good RT depth, but who's going to step up at LT. Kendrick? Thomas? Long term, as of this very day, LT is our biggest need, especially if Shy commits to us soon.

I will also say this, I don't really like sharing tons of info from people I know simply because it's still mostly opinions of guys who are very close to the program. I do know this for certain, our staff really likes Robertson, Wiesman, Jackson, Kerbs, and Kendrick. How to get all those guys on the field at the same time is the real issue. I also know that Bajakian is highly regarded as a great spread option OC. I've heard many people around the UT community say they wouldn't be surprised by 2017-18 when we start really winning if he doesn't get some nice head coaching job opportunities. I say this due to the negativity I have seen this week over the "vanilla" offense. Our OC is highly regarded among his peers, so I think we are in good hands. I also know that Jancek was a worry as well. I feel from the last two games that worry has probably been erased. Jancek has been known to be a very zone conservative DC at times, we saw that with all the QB spy zones we ran last year, but I believe he understands that for us to win we must create pressure. I personally feel we should lock up every defensive coach we have long term but that's my personal opinion.

Also, it should be noted that Jancek was Cincy's recruiting coord for two years. He's a huge asset in recruiting, and you can already see the benefits.

Last edited:
I believe he has. However, we can't be sure he caught big orange fever. "Old Piss"(did you know there is an old bluegrass song by that name? Check YouTube! It should be played while tailgating when they come up here) may not have our stadium, but Freeze is obviously doing a decent job in Oxford in convincing players of coming there. I have heard many like what they do at the grove.

We will know soon enough. Would be huge to have 5 for this OL class. And this is one I have hoped for all along.

I agree with you. UT is far better team historically and game day atmosphere. If he doesn't choose us I think boils down being near family

This sucks if true (ole miss). And it really makes you wonder why. I know we can't get them all but Butch has done such an amazing job getting the kids he really wanted. And this is an in state kid he obviously wanted as much as any in the class. You know a bunch of our current commits are recruiting for us also. All these rumors about ole miss come to mind. I'm not saying... I'm just saying

I hate that it looks like Richmond is trending to Ole Miss. But I also know if he is still taking visits, it's a soft commitment at best. Had he committed to us, there would have been 5 months of hand wringing all the way to NSD.

Sorry KB I wasn't trying to make that confusing. I was stating that the main concern among some higher donors I know is whether CBJ and Mahoney could recruit top OL, not just LTs, over teams like Bama, etc. Guard wise I think we are good to go. I think Sanders, Boulware, Wiesman, Robertson, and Stewart all have great potential. I worry about Stewart's ability to pass block top DL, but in all that's some very good young talent at G. I think Kendrick, Jones, Hall, and Thomas all provide good RT depth, but who's going to step up at LT. Kendrick? Thomas? Long term, as of this very day, LT is our biggest need, especially if Shy commits to us soon.

I will also say this, I don't really like sharing tons of info from people I know simply because it's still mostly opinions of guys who are very close to the program. I do know this for certain, our staff really likes Robertson, Wiesman, Jackson, Kerbs, and Kendrick. How to get all those guys on the field at the same time is the real issue. I also know that Bajakian is highly regarded as a great spread option OC. I've heard many people around the UT community say they wouldn't be surprised by 2017-18 when we start really winning if he doesn't get some nice head coaching job opportunities. I say this due to the negativity I have seen this week over the "vanilla" offense. Our OC is highly regarded among his peers, so I think we are in good hands. I also know that Jancek was a worry as well. I feel from the last two games that worry has probably been erased. Jancek has been known to be a very zone conservative DC at times, we saw that with all the QB spy zones we ran last year, but I believe he understands that for us to win we must create pressure. I personally feel we should lock up every defensive coach we have long term but that's my personal opinion.

Also, it should be noted that Jancek was Cincy's recruiting coord for two years. He's a huge asset in recruiting, and you can already see the benefits.

Good post. I worry about tackles as well especially considering Chance Hall recently shredded his Achilles.

If Drew wants to be a Vol great... If he doesn't and he picks Ole Piss, then that's great too... Then his spot can be filled with someone who wants to bleed orange! Either way.... I trust in BUTCH!!!!!!!!1

And the funny thing is Ole Miss is a stepping stone. UT is a destination. (Unless you're Lane)
Freeze will be gone soon enough. And some of these recruits will be just like those that signed with Vandy.

Memphis kids are different than kids in most other areas. The U of Memphis does not attract the best players, so the top tier recruits are influenced by quite a few teams. I would say UT and Ole Miss may have an edge in numbers, but you will find kids from Memphis on the roster of MS State, Bama, LSU, Arkansas, and Vandy as well. Not sure there is another city in the SEC that sends the majority of its players to such a diverse group of teams like Memphis does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back