Opener is a likely L per ESPN

Oh man. Some sportswriters think we beat USU while others believe we will lose to them. Has that ever happened before?

Tennessee, Ole Miss among vulnerable SEC teams in Week 1 -- College Football - ESPN

"Vols, Rebels among five most likely to open season with a non-conference loss"

"53.6 percent chance the Vols lose"

Sounds logical. :crazy:

Phil Steele rated UT as the 6th toughest schedule last year, and Sagarin had us 10th (would have been higher except for Austen Peay). The USU schedule was rated 100 by Steele, and I think it was 75 or 76 by Sagarin. I don't think their defense would have been so dominant against UT's schedule. We just need these young guys to play up to their potential, and we will be OK.

Reactions: 1 person
Algorithms are based on past performance (often multiple seasons + last season's stats) and can be weighted oddly depending on who is doing the model. They're good for predicting groups - IOW they'll do every team and get slightly more right in terms of Wins than wrong but poor when it comes to predicting at the individual team level.

They also don't gauge things like roster changes/player upgrades or individual improvement. In other words, when it comes to one game they're just not very good at their predictions.

Oh and ESPN hates us. :)

I don't remember if his does or not, but a growing # of models do incorporate player data to reflect additions and reductions in talent

Admittedly, Utah State this year is a better team than Western Kentucky was last year.

I think this is more analogous to the Cincinnati game a few years ago. If I remember, the line on that game moved from something like Tennessee -6 to Tennessee -4 during the week and that was a popular upset pick. We know how that game turned out.

We don't lose home openers! Utah st. does not have near the talent we have! Same Bull$h...I heard before the W. Kentucky game and Petrino was a genius! How did that work out? Cincy got their arse handed to them! WE HAVE 2 DEEP TALENT AGAIN AT BASICALLY EVERY POSITION! YOUNG BUT 2 DEEP! ANY BLOCKING UP FRONT AND OUR RECEIVERS WILL WEAR THEM OUT! UT SCORES QUICK, CROWD HEAVILY INTO THE GAME, KEATON OVERWELMED BY RUSH, VOLS ROLL!

:loco:

TENNESSEEDUKE

"I'm picking Tennessee to finish higher than Mizzou in the SEC East. Now this was a tough decision, but it comes down to line play. Tennessee isn't going to be very good in the skill positions this year, but those offensive and defensive lines are for real!"

-Kevin Carter on College Football Live 2 weeks ago

Moral of the story: ESPN has absolutely no clue what they are talking about.
I didn't know Kevin Carter smoked weed.

Is Stinch the guy who said we still had the KY streak going?

SEC Network better step up their game if they're gonna play in front of SEC fans.

Something like that. He ought to be embarrassed to take the check. He definitely isn't working very hard.

Admittedly, Utah State this year is a better team than Western Kentucky was last year.

I think this is more analogous to the Cincinnati game a few years ago. If I remember, the line on that game moved from something like Tennessee -6 to Tennessee -4 during the week and that was a popular upset pick. We know how that game turned out.

WKU had roughly the same level of talent... and Petrino.

This is coming from the same sports channel that was talking about Sabans daughter being the first kiss for the WV QB. It don't take a genius to see that they know nothing about sports.

They are a good Team based on the finish last season.
How much did they lose?
How will they replace it?
How will the weather effect play?

Well unless you aint Fl st., bammer, oh st., etc. espn doesnt really care if you win or lose they just assume crap all the time. I halfway only watch espn for highlights and monday night games. They are the cnn of sports. Garbage:banghead2:

Reactions: 3 people
Don't assume anything just based on the name on the jersey. Utah St is a decent football team. I expect it to be relatively close.

Is Stinch the guy who said we still had the KY streak going?

I heard him say that during his season predictions on the 2014 UT Preview Show and about lost my lunch. That was while he was on his way to saying we will go 5-7 again this year and lose to Vandy....the nail in the coffin.

Who can believe anything these media declared pundits spew forth when they can't even get the basic facts correct.

SMH

I heard him say that during his season predictions on the 2014 UT Preview Show and about lost my lunch. That was while he was on his way to saying we will go 5-7 again this year and lose to Vandy....the nail in the coffin.

Who can believe anything these media declared pundits spew forth when they can't even get the basic facts correct.

SMH

Yep, that was it. I looked at my husband and said, "What'd he say?" :lol: Idiot.

VN Store

Back