'15 TN PF/C Skal Labissiere

He's from Haiti, so he wouldn't really have grown up with Tennessee being THE state school. Like someone posted above, he's probably gained a comfortability in Memphis so that could be critical.

This is going to be a repeat of the Barret Jones situation in my opinion.

Barrett Jones situation? How is this going to be similar?

You obviously didn't get the punchline. I realize Memphis typically cleans house in the city. They do have to work for some of these kids though, and they don't all end up at UM.
Nope not all, but it sure seems like the majority of them end up at UM or UK. Who was the last big time recruit from the Memphis area that didnt end up at an in-state school or UK? Im asking because I really dont know.

Thats not really to much of a stretch to say if you think about it and not far from the truth. Memphis still does get alot the top players from the Memphis area even with Pastner as coach. When Cal was at Memphis he definately got 95% of the players he wanted from the area.

When Calicheatin' left Memphis I don't think a single player on the team was a native of Memphis. At least no one of consequence

Nope not all, but it sure seems like the majority of them end up at UM or UK. Who was the last big time recruit from the Memphis area that didnt end up at an in-state school or UK? Im asking because I really dont know.

Jarnell Stokes (though some will place an asterisk by his name due to circumstance)
Jonathon Williams III
Leslie McDonald
Elliott Williams (initially)

I believe this kid has been on the radar with CCM. 2015 though around the corner is still a way off. Getting in early with these kids is important. Can't see CCM not knowing about this kid with him being a top 20 in state player.

most likely leron black

Just curious, does anyone know why Memphis would be team to beat? I am from Memphis and keep up with local players. I have heard about this kid but don't know anything about him. If kids grew up here or have a relationship with someone affiliated with the school, then it is tough to get them out if the city. Anyone know about that?

I don't know if he ultimately will end up in Memphis, but he was at their last Memphis Madness, and you have to admit, Pastner has gotten almost all of the players out of Memphis that he has wanted.

Last edited:
Thats not really to much of a stretch to say if you think about it and not far from the truth. Memphis still does get alot the top players from the Memphis area even with Pastner as coach. When Cal was at Memphis he definately got 95% of the players he wanted from the area.

Cal really didn't recruit Memphis players while at UM. He didn't like the family and posse hanging around and in their ears. He passed on alot of Memphis players in his 9 years.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know if he untimely will end up in Memphis, but he was at their last Memphis Madness, and you have to admit, Pastner has gotten almost all of the players out of Memphis that he has wanted.

It will be interesting to see how the class of 2013 pans out. There were so many in the city that Pastner couldn't take them all, but the one interesting take was Markel Crawford. I think he is very good, but it upset Jujuan Johnson, who is going to Marquette.

It will be interesting to see how the class of 2013 pans out. There were so many in the city that Pastner couldn't take them all, but the one interesting take was Markel Crawford. I think he is very good, but it upset Jujuan Johnson, who is going to Marquette.

That was an interesting move on Pastner's part. JJ seemed to want to be the only SG in his class. Not sure what Marquette's class looks like, but the Crawford commit certainly seemed to push him away from Memphis. He never gave UT much of a look either. Don't know if Hubbs had anything to do with that or not.

That was an interesting move on Pastner's part. JJ seemed to want to be the only SG in his class. Not sure what Marquette's class looks like, but the Crawford commit certainly seemed to push him away from Memphis. He never gave UT much of a look either. Don't know if Hubbs had anything to do with that or not.

If you believe BOT (and I do in this case) the staff (at the time) was only going to take one wing player and the staff went all in on Hubbs. It worked.

If you believe BOT (and I do in this case) the staff (at the time) was only going to take one wing player and the staff went all in on Hubbs. It worked.

If CCM signed a player of Landry's caliber do you honestly think he would not have taken Jajuan Johnson if the kid wanted to be a Vol?

If CCM signed a player of Landry's caliber do you honestly think he would not have taken Jajuan Johnson if the kid wanted to be a Vol?

Interesting question. I am not sure how much CCM really pushed for Johnson. While Johnson can play point, he is also a scoring point. That has been our weakness the last couple of years- haven't had a true point guard. I believe CCM wanted a facilitator and defender.

Interesting question. I am not sure how much CCM really pushed for Johnson. While Johnson can play point, he is also a scoring point. That has been our weakness the last couple of years- haven't had a true point guard. I believe CCM wanted a facilitator and defender.
Thats perfectly understandable, but it's pretty tough to facilitate and defend from the bench.

Thats perfectly understandable, but it's pretty tough to facilitate and defend from the bench.

Well, that will be interesting to see how much time he gets. The staff maintained their desire for Landry. Probably wont play a whole lot next year. But we are also pushing for Thompson from Murfreesboro, and he is also a true PG.

Who are the 2015 guys to keep an eye on then? I personally would love to see Diamond Stone, big fan of his game.

EDIT: I know he's a 1 in a million chance. just saying i'm a big fan.

We are in his final six
Tennessee
Kentucky
N. Carolina
Memphis
Baylor
Georgetown

That's pretty amazing. Probably due to the relationship Pinkins built with Skal at Ole Miss. Speaking of Ole Miss, surprised they aren't on the list. Lots of rumors about Kennedy putting together a package deal with the kid's coach.

That's pretty amazing. Probably due to the relationship Pinkins built with Skal at Ole Miss. Speaking of Ole Miss, surprised they aren't on the list. Lots of rumors about Kennedy putting together a package deal with the kid's coach.

Yup, not sure how in it like Baylor is either, if you're gonna name 6 schools you've gotta fill 6 spots though. The better news from this to me is that hopefully Nick Marshall falls to us, if Memphis made him a priority that would hurt.

Yup, not sure how in it like Baylor is either, if you're gonna name 6 schools you've gotta fill 6 spots though. The better news from this to me is that hopefully Nick Marshall falls to us, if Memphis made him a priority that would hurt.
Scott Drew has recruited well at Baylor and he seems to have some presence/connection in Memphis. Had Leron Black committed for a while.

Scott Drew has recruited well at Baylor and he seems to have some presence/connection in Memphis. Had Leron Black committed for a while.

Yeah money talks...he is a horrible coach just like Patsy. Both get a ton of talent and can't do anything with it.

VN Store

Back