2015 JUCO PG Dequon Miller

I disagree....u don't just settle for a guy.....a good recruiter will build a strong class.....whether CDT is that guy is yet to be determined.

JW111 would have been settling? He was a top 50 recruit.

The #1 Juco PG is settling? Chris Jones was the #1 last year. He did pretty good starting for Louisville.

Getting talent like Miller is no where near settling. Miller signing with another school and Evans commits to another school, then CDT will be settling on what ever he can get.

I'm not saying CDT is not a great recruiter, but how many top 50 players has he signed? Risking Miller IMO is not worth the chance of waiting and signing Evans.

A bird in the hand.......

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty sure Cat Barber's minutes were split between playing the 1 and the 2. And he is only around 6'2. So its feasible to see a rotation that would allow Evans to start at pg and both guys average close to 30 per. Jmo

If either Evans or Miller were 6' (not even 6'2") I would possibly agree, but Miller is around 5'9" and Evans 5'10".

Their games are strictly Pg, neither is a great scorer that you just can't not put out there, both excel at pushing the ball, getting to basket, and facilitating for others.

If either Evans or Miller were 6' (not even 6'2") I would possibly agree, but Miller is around 5'9" and Evans 5'10".

Their games are strictly Pg, neither is a great scorer that you just can't not put out there, both excel at pushing the ball, getting to basket, and facilitating for others.

Your probably right. It would be dun to see tho. Those two on the floor together would demand a crazy fast pace.

Your probably right. It would be dun to see tho. Those two on the floor together would demand a crazy fast pace.

I agree it would be fun, but it's not likely so that's why I'm not even throwing those minutes out there. You also have to factor in we will likely have Hubbs, Mostella, Baulkman and Punter at the 2-3 spot already, so not many minutes even if Miller or Evans could slide to the 2.

I guess you'd have to ask both players what they consider a "ton" of minutes at PG. Neither is gonna slide over and play the 2, so both will be fighting for PG minutes only.

Jawun Evans is now a top 10 recruit in the country, and said by some to be the #1 PG in the country. Let's look at the PGs who were in the top 25 last year: Andrew Harrison, Kasey Hill, Tyler Ennis and Cat Barber. Those 4 players averaged 29mpg for their respective teams, that leaves 11mpg to be had by a backup, I wouldn't consider that a ton of minutes.

So from previous players you can basically say a PG that highly touted is gonna come in and command ~30mpg. Now he may not be scared of competition, but when you've got a JUCO who's expectations are also ~30mpg, you're likely gonna end up with 1 player who's pretty pissed off.

In a recent post, Rob Lewis seemed to be subscribing to the "slow playing Dequon Miller" theory. It was his opinion, the staff wouldn't risk getting another PG commit until Juwan Evans announced. Just throwing it out there.

You have to be able to tell a top pg he is going to get the minutes and not split them. The best pgs want the ball in their hands and don't want to sit except to catch a breath.

You have to be able to tell a top pg he is going to get the minutes and not split them. The best pgs want the ball in their hands and don't want to sit except to catch a breath.

I think it's this way about any truly talented players. It will be interesting to see how Tyndall balances his history of playing 9-10 guys with trying to recruit top 100 guys, at any position.

I think it's this way about any truly talented players. It will be interesting to see how Tyndall balances his history of playing 9-10 guys with trying to recruit top 100 guys, at any position.

If CDT can get two or three 5 star players, he will adjust his philosophy. He mostly likely has chosen to go 9-10 deep because he lacked real superstars except for Faried.

In a recent post, Rob Lewis seemed to be subscribing to the "slow playing Dequon Miller" theory. It was his opinion, the staff wouldn't risk getting another PG commit until Juwan Evans announced. Just throwing it out there.

Seems to coincide with what I was saying, risky move as Miller is ready to be a Vol IMO, but if you land Evans it's the right move.

Yup. You look at past PGs who were rated similarly to Evans (5* top 25) and they played on average about 30mpg.

I can guarantee you Tyndall's hammering the "we have no PG on roster next year pitch", and that's not something any other school recruiting him can likely say.

You take millers committment who's probably the best JUCO PG out there and you no longer have that advantage.

Last edited:
Any word on Miller's visit and a possible commitment?

As of last Thursday, Tyndall was not going to offer him. Maybe Miller came in and did great this weekend and they do. I wish they would offer Miller. I don't know who Tyndall thinks is better the Dequon.

As of last Thursday, Tyndall was not going to offer him. Maybe Miller came in and did great this weekend and they do. I wish they would offer Miller. I don't know who Tyndall thinks is better the Dequon.

I thought he already had an offer? This recruitment is getting weird.

aren't we trying to sell Bacon on playing PG ? That's probably who he thinks he is better

I got to admit, that seems like a really questionable decision. Not sure we are in a position to be turning away experienced PGs. I'll defer to Tyndall's evaluation for the time being, but this seems odd.

I was hoping we would take Miller as well . Hopefully CDT knows something that we don't

I was hoping we would take Miller as well . Hopefully CDT knows something that we don't

I'll be sort of disappointed if Donnie doesn't take Dequon if he still wants to come to Tennessee. I feel like he would be a good fit because there is no quick point guard on the team like him right now.

I'll be sort of disappointed if Donnie doesn't take Dequon if he still wants to come to Tennessee. I feel like he would be a good fit because there is no quick point guard on the team like him right now.

I hope Tyndall's not already getting the Pearl/Cuonzo disease, figuring his offense is so amazing he can run it without a PG.

I hope Tyndall's not already getting the Pearl/Cuonzo disease, figuring his offense is so amazing he can run it without a PG.

I think that was Zo's excuse bc he wasn't able to get a quality one.......May be the same thing with this coach as well.....not impressed with this class so far.

I think that was Zo's excuse bc he wasn't able to get a quality one.......May be the same thing with this coach as well.....not impressed with this class so far.

He's also following the Zo trend of accepting early commits from mid level kids he could get later in the cycle after putting in work on the more elite recruits. Hopefully he's got a great eye for talent.

He's also following the Zo trend of accepting early commits from mid level kids he could get later in the cycle after putting in work on the more elite recruits. Hopefully he's got a great eye for talent.

Yeah I know I'm disappointed as can be so far....hopefully he proves us wrong

VN Store

Back