Jarnell Stokes will now be able to help recruit......

What? Do yall hate Martin that much? Pearl had nothing to do with McRae being good. I guess Buzz gets all the credit for Lofton and JuJuan if you think that. McRae averaged 1.8 under Pearl. If Hubbs balls over the next few years Martin doesn't get credit. CDT does.

No hate here regarding Martin, just don't have a lot of respect for his abilities to better a players offensive skills.

California just fired their athletic director so CCM is going to have to really do well.

1. Technically the AD resigned.

2. The story is the AD wanted to promote one of the Assistants to HC, and was overruled by the President (Chancellor), leading to the Martin hire (and, probably, the AD's departure.)

Reactions: 1 person
No hate here regarding Martin, just don't have a lot of respect for his abilities to better a players offensive skills.

Well he did with all the players Pearl left plus Stokes and J Rich. Maymon went from 2.6 to a double digit score, McRae from 1.8 to a top scorer in the SEC, Stokes improved every year, Richardson improved every year, Golden went from 3 a game to 13.6. He improved a lot of players offensive game. At least give credit where credit is due. I know people like to act like Martin was Dooley but his teams and players got better every single year. Stokes and Maymon both credit him and the stats back that up. You can choose to ignore it if you want to though. I really try to not bring up old coaches but this argument that he didn't help either player is ridiculous. Pearl couldn't get Hopson, who had more potential than McRae drafted even in the second round.

Should have been a little more clear. Stokes is a fine young man and will probably help UT when he can. But, by him stayin 3 yrs, and only being a 2nd rounder, might not help our chances with other 5*'s. Recruits might not want to go to UT if they believe UT (CCM & Advisors) jacked up his development and cost him millions! Most 5*'s want to go to schools know for progressing players and helping their draft status. Make sense now?

Oh, I understood what you were saying. I just don't believe that a 5 star automatically means you should be a first round pick. There are 5 stars, and then there are 5 star lottery picks. Jarnell ended up being a great college basketball player that has some limitations at the professional level. I just don't think that creates a recruiting problem. Tobias Harris was a mid first rounder, and now we have a different coach from both of those players.

Did Jarnell Stokes not say publicly that he had a great experience at UT and was a VFL?

Why on earth would he not pump up the uni where he played? That's part of his roots. He played here. Went to school her. Meet a girlfriend(s) here. It's like family. Just because your parents got divorced, you don't deny your family name.

Of course he loved his coach. But, he's surely not so stupid that he can't see that BB is a business for coaches. He had better wake up fast if he doesn't understand the sports business.

Jarnell has had rec club, middle school, AAU, high school, college, and now a professional coach. Martin is one of those. He probably didn't like the pressure he and his coach got. But, he's surely more mature than some of the butt-hurt/chicken-little types around here. Those who still think we can't find a decent coach, all our recruits are leaving, and no decent players will come here.

Hard to not see Jarnell rep the Vols.

Reactions: 5 people
I haven't met a recent 5* that spent time at Memphis and got drafted either. Joe Jackson and Adonis Thomas come to mind. As long as Pastner is coaching Memphis, Memphis will be a place where careers go to die.

EXACTLY!! If I had time I'd love to revive the thread where those guys were insisting that Joe Jackson was a first rounder and that Pastner was a great coach. Keep up the great work Josh!! you will have successfully killed that program in no time!

Why would Pearl claim credit for McRae, Jordan flat out said yesterday that he owes it to Martin because without him he wouldn't have made it this far.

Settle down there, cowboy. All I said was that Bruce might try to take credit for evaluating him and recruiting him to UT. There was nothing about who should rightfully take credit for developing him. Obviously, he played more minutes for Martin.

Reading comprehension is key.

Settle down there, cowboy. All I said was that Bruce might try to take credit for evaluating him and recruiting him to UT. There was nothing about who should rightfully take credit for developing him. Obviously, he played more minutes for Martin.

Reading comprehension is key.
Guarantee you Pearl will claim both to recruit Auburn.

Guarantee you Pearl will claim both to recruit Auburn.

I'm sure he will, but he has almost zero claim to Stokes. It's an inexact science, though. You can bet the farm Butch Jones claims Eric Fisher when he's recruiting O-linemen, even though Fisher only played one year for Jones before he left for Cincy. And Jones was getting a lot of love from the TV analysts during the 2013 draft when Fisher was taken No. 1, all because he recruited him to CMU and coached him his true freshman year.

Well he did with all the players Pearl left plus Stokes and J Rich. Maymon went from 2.6 to a double digit score, McRae from 1.8 to a top scorer in the SEC, Stokes improved every year, Richardson improved every year, Golden went from 3 a game to 13.6. He improved a lot of players offensive game. At least give credit where credit is due. I know people like to act like Martin was Dooley but his teams and players got better every single year. Stokes and Maymon both credit him and the stats back that up. You can choose to ignore it if you want to though. I really try to not bring up old coaches but this argument that he didn't help either player is ridiculous. Pearl couldn't get Hopson, who had more potential than McRae drafted even in the second round.

That's your opinion, my opinion is that had BP remained the coach at UT, McRae would be a much better player than he is today. There is no question about it to most who have followed UT Basketball over the years, Pearl could develop players better than any coach UT has ever had. Martin is on the same level as Peterson and Houston.

Stokes will have the perfect big man in Zach Randloph to play behind. Z-Bo uses that big body to control the paint & that is what Stokes likes to do. Stokes could not ask for a better situation!!!!!:clapping::dance2:

Reactions: 3 people
UT Basketball will rise on the merits of the current players and coaching staff. If Jarnell, or Jordan succeed in the NBA, or even if they don't, Donnie Tyndall should gain their respect so they can be ambassadors for the program. It might take awhile, but it is possible. Though they might still have issues with how Coach Martin left, if Bernard King can return and feel a part of the family, so can they.

That's your opinion, my opinion is that had BP remained the coach at UT, McRae would be a much better player than he is today. There is no question about it to most who have followed UT Basketball over the years, Pearl could develop players better than any coach UT has ever had. Martin is on the same level as Peterson and Houston.

Yea if you think so. That is not most peoples opinions. It is yours. What about Hopson? Top ten consensus, top 5 on Rivals , 5 star many thought was a 1 and done couldn't even get drafted in the second round. Duke Crews 5 star not drafted. Chism top 40 4 star not drafted. Ramar Smith 5 star not drafted. Tyler Smith top 45 4 star not drafted. He came in to UT as a 15 ppg 5rbd 3.5 ast guy and stayed at that level. Lofton was already a Freshman AA 13 a game scorer and the best 3 pt shooter in the SEC when Pearl came. Never was drafted. You obviously know nothing about basketball like a lot of fans on the bball forum. Pearl was a better offensive coach than Martin no doubt. Developing players not so much. Who are all these players he developed so great? At least have something to back up your claims. I liked Pearl and he is a good coach but people have a revisionist view of his time here.

I'll bet we made history. I bet there was never a team with two first or second round NBA draft picks that failed to make the NCAA tournament 2 years and barely got in in the third year.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back