Lawyers and HOA's suck, reason #584030

MG1968

That’s No Moon…
Vet is Threatened with Losing His Home After He Humbly Puts a Symbol of Patriotism in a Flower Pot

Larry Murphfree just wanted to show his patriotism. So the military veteran put a small United States flag in a flower pot on his front porch. But that small display of love for his country could cost him his house.

The homeowner’s association in his community fined him for displaying the flag, charging him $8,000 and putting a foreclosure lien on his house. He underwent a similar battle last year, but after filing a lawsuit, settled out of court.

Under state and federal law, he is free to display the flag, WTEV reports. But when the news station reached out to the HOA’s attorney, she stated that if Murphfree fails to pay the fine within 30 days, the law office can foreclose on his house.

Homeowners associations are stupid. However, you are made fully aware of their guidelines before you ever move in, so blame lies on both sides.

But let's be honest, if it wasn't a veteran, nobody would give two ****s.

Reactions: 3 people
Place the blame on the busy bodies policing the neighborhood for violations. That's what ruins a community

That said, if he moved in knowing the rules then he's pretty much sol.

How can someone foreclose on your house if you're current on your mortgage? I can see paying a fine for not following HOA rules and guidelines, but foreclosure? Come on man!

How can someone foreclose on your house if you're current on your mortgage? I can see paying a fine for not following HOA rules and guidelines, but foreclosure? Come on man!

They can put a lien on it..

They can put a lien on it..

Yes for unpaid fines, but this is totally ridiculous.

This is like putting a bird feeder in your yard and get fined for it. I think some HOA's are way out of line and too strict.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes for unpaid fines, but this is totally ridiculous.

This is like putting a bird feeder in your yard and get fined for it. I think some HOA's are way out of line and too strict.

We agree. The problem is that he willingly signed on knowing what the rules were.

Remind me guys, when I go to buy a house to not get a house in a neighborhood that has a HOA.

There has to be more to this story. I am pretty sure HOA rules have to be reasonably related to some legitimate objective of the HOA to be enforceable.

But let's be honest, if it wasn't a veteran, nobody would give two ****s.
I doubt that. $8000 fine and potentially losing your house is a pretty outrageous situation even if you are draft dodger or regular civilian. But like others have said, the rules are the rules, no matter how dumb they are.

Do you know all of the rules of your HOA?

and when can we start calling these HOA's "predatory"?

I already stated that HOAs are stupid. But it comes down to personal responbility. Why would you sign off on something without knowing the details within that contract? Would you buy a car without reading the lease agreement?

Reactions: 1 person
HOAs have more authority over your property than your City/County. When buying a house you need to be very diligent in reading and understanding the by laws. Also make sure to attend the meetings.

I didn't and had many battles with an over zealous HOA president. Will never again be apart of an HOA.

HOA's are scary as hell. I got into one when I was 22 without fully understanding the power they possess. The fees grew more and more every year with little/nothing to show for it. The runaway aspect of a highjacked HOA made me very uneasy while I lived there. I ended up losing $25,000 by selling that place, but I feel a sense of relief knowing that I'm am not in their cult community any longer.

HOA's are scary as hell. I got into one when I was 22 without fully understanding the power they possess. The fees grew more and more every year with little/nothing to show for it. The runaway aspect of a highjacked HOA made me very uneasy while I lived there. I ended up losing $25,000 by selling that place, but I feel a sense of relief knowing that I'm am not in their cult community any longer.

I thought dues were part of the negotiated contract when you bought the place.

How can they just raise them if you have a set contract in hand?

I already stated that HOAs are stupid. But it comes down to personal responbility. Why would you sign off on something without knowing the details within that contract? Would you buy a car without reading the lease agreement?

What about a subprime mortgage? Recent history has shown that it's never the fault of the person who signs the contract but rather with the organization that wrote the contract.

The board can vote to raise the fees. They can also go door to door if the reserve fund runs out and do a cash call in an emergency. Spooky stuff once I paid a little more attention to it. Wish I had done my due diligence before buying into that place.

What about a subprime mortgage? Recent history has shown that it's never the fault of the person who signs the contract but rather with the organization that wrote the contract.

If it can be proved the guy was intentionally misled by the HOA, then he has a case. Otherwise, like PJ said, he is SOL.

The HOA board can raise them at almost anytime during a meeting. They can also change the bylaws, that's why if you are in one it's very important you read the agendas and attend the meetings.

Remind me guys, when I go to buy a house to not get a house in a neighborhood that has a HOA.

As long as you are an overall decent human being and responsible homeowner it isn't a big deal. HOA's are good to keep the riff raff out.

The board can vote to raise the fees. They can also go door to door if the reserve fund runs out and do a cash call in an emergency. Spooky stuff once I paid a little more attention to it. Wish I had done my due diligence before buying into that place.

Odd, my realtor out here told me it was a set rate that was included in the contract for the house. I guess it varies State to State.

I politely informed her no thanks to any house with an HOA anyway.

As long as you are an overall decent human being and responsible homeowner it isn't a big deal. HOA's are good to keep the riff raff out.

Until that little busybody clique (every neighborhood has them) gets control.

Until that little busybody clique (every neighborhood has them) gets control.

I dated a chick whose mom was on an HOA board in a very expensive neighborhood here in Orlando. She used to drive around and basically spy on everyone. She caught someone working on their car (in the engine area/hood up) and went ballistic.

It made me wonder if maybe she grew up in a trailer park and came into money recently or something. These HOA's are also in cookie cutter neighborhoods.

My house..its well kept. Awesome yard thats the envy of the neighborhood, well maintained landscaping, clean, etc. I've never had a problem with HOA's but I do fly a UT American Flag so obviously this douchebag neighborhood would be crossed off my list.

I got nasty letters and fines for parking my boat in the driveway overnight on the weekends, I didn't get permission to change the color of my trim (even though the color was ok in the handbook), cut down a tree without permission, mowed a path to the playground when they mowers didn't show, pissed out the front door. It was never ending.

VN Store

Back