Gran Turismo 6 announced for PS3 (PS4 version possible)

Brave Volunteer

GT 6 Announcement | Gran Turismo 6 is coming | #GT6isComing - YouTube

Sony and developer Polyphony Digital have today confirmed last week’s reports and formally announced Gran Turismo 6.

The latest addition to the long-running PlayStation-exclusive realistic racing series will become available during the ‘Holiday’ of 2013, and will launch on PlayStation 3.

GranTurismo6BannerLogoBlack

Speaking during the 15-year anniversary event held at Britain’s historied Silverstone racing circuit recently, Gran Turismo creator and legendary game developer Kazunori Yamauchi explained the focus of his next racer:

“It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo. Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We’re pleased to deliver GT6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform.

“However, we have refactored the game to make it very flexible and expandable, with a view to making many future developments. I am very pleased with everything about the new game and the new additions, but the launch will be only the beginning for GT6. The game will continue to develop throughout its life. I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!”

Since its debut in 1998 on the original PlayStation, the Gran Turismo series has sold 70 million units around the world (half of which were sold Europe), becoming the most successful PlayStation franchise ever.

New Levels of Authenticity

Polyphony promises “new levels of authenticity” with Gran Turismo 6, as well as new cars, tracks and an all-new user interface. Polyphony has built a new “compact” game engine to power GT6, which will also allow for greater flexibility to expand the game via downloadable content and improve connectivity between it and other devices, including smart phones and tablets, with a greater focus on social and community functionality than any Gran Turismo before it.

This connectivity will be demonstrated with the release of a “mobile version and web application version of GT6,” with the express purpose of enjoying “Gran Turismo’s massive community space.”

The Cars, the Tracks and the Future

If you were a fan of Gran Turismo 5, you’ll be pleased to know that all of the tracks and cars from that game will be included in Gran Turismo 6, but with new additions to the franchise we’ll have access to 1200 cars at launch while new motors will be added online.

“Several thousand aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars,” writes Sony, “and players can personalize their own custom cars in game to the greatest ever level possible.”

In addition, seven new locations will be added to Gran Turismo 6 over the previous instalment in the series, taking the unique track count to 33 (nice!), with 71 different layouts as well (19 of which are brand new). Like the car list, new tracks will be added online, but you’ll be able to create your own tracks in the improved course maker tool which will provide new scenery “spanning several tens of square kilometres including the magnificent backdrop of Andalucía.”

Update: Sony confirms that it has a PlayStation 4 version of Gran Turismo 6 "in mind"
PS3 may not be the only landing pad for Polyphony Digital's next game.

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has revealed that the upcoming sixth entry in the racing simulator series is also being considered for release on PlayStation 4.

Speaking at today’s Gran Turismo 15th Anniversary event at Silverstone racetrack in England, Yamauchi told IGN, “We actually do have a PlayStation 4 version in mind, but for this holiday season, we thought it would be best for users to release on PS3 for now.” (Gran Turismo 6, PS3, PS4)

I will be amazed if this launches on time. GT5's release was a joke. 6 years in development.

GT5 was a pile of garbage

I agree. Although I am picking it back up.

For how long people were waiting for it, every part of it was half assed.

The damage was half done.
The weather was unimpressive.
The course maker is a gimmick.
Less than half the cars were fully rendered.
License tests.
Sloppy online.
The engines still sound like vacuum cleaners.
AI is still dumb.
Car selection is still Japanese heavy to a fault.
Doesn't play nearly as well with the controller as it should.

Polyphony had the recipie for a great game but they got bogged down by too many small things to make them great. The fact that the game has recieved several gigs of updates tells you the game was not completed when released.

The weather was a neat concept, but it wouldn't be a selling point to me.

The Forza series it still the leader by a fair distance.

The weather was a neat concept, but it wouldn't be a selling point to me.

The Forza series it still the leader by a fair distance.

I agree that Forza 4 is better than Gran Turismo 5. However I still enjoy GT5 and it is FAR from "garbage." Especially with all of the updates/fixes that Polyphony released for it. I cannot wait for GT6.

:eek:lol:

10 million users disagree with you.

Shows there are at least 10 million idiots out there. MLB2K still sells and it's a heaping pile of **** as well when you compare it to the show. If Forza was available to PS users, I would bet that GT would sell about 100 copies lol

Shows there are at least 10 million idiots out there. MLB2K still sells and it's a heaping pile of **** as well when you compare it to the show. If Forza was available to PS users, I would bet that GT would sell about 100 copies lol

Not so sure about that. GT is just too engrained in the psyche of gamers for that to happen.

Look, I agree that Forza 4 was better. It was awesome in fact. But to say GT5 is "garbage" is just asinine. It's not garbage. Checkered Flag on the Atari Jaguar was garbage.

I would like to see realistic damage and consequences for damaging your car. Like if you hit a guard rail head on going 150 mph - you've pretty much just wasted your vehicle and have to repair it to drive again.

I would like to see realistic damage and consequences for damaging your car. Like if you hit a guard rail head on going 150 mph - you've pretty much just wasted your vehicle and have to repair it to drive again.

Smokey can attest to what happens when you do a barrel roll with simulation damage on.

Reactions: 1 person
Not so sure about that. GT is just too engrained in the psyche of gamers for that to happen.

Look, I agree that Forza 4 was better. It was awesome in fact. But to say GT5 is "garbage" is just asinine. It's not garbage. Checkered Flag on the Atari Jaguar was garbage.

You are crossing some lines here................... GT6 could be great, the GT series was my favorite back on the PS1 and 2

Reactions: 1 person
GT5 was a huge let down. i am a big fan of the GT series, but i'll pass on this til it's released for the ps4. if it doesn't make it that far, there's always GT7 in 2025...

GT5 was a huge let down. i am a big fan of the GT series, but i'll pass on this til it's released for the ps4. if it doesn't make it that far, there's always GT7 in 2025...

I don't think it will take nearly as long next time. One thing people tend to forget is that the reason development of GT5 took so long was because after GT4 was released on PS2, development began on GT for the PSP which took up a lot of time and resources. Add to that the difficulty of programming for PS3 and that's why it had been delayed for so long. In truth, I think GT6 will be what GT5 SHOULD have been. If Polyphony doesn't do a PS4 version of GT6, we'll probably see GT7 prologue in 2015 and then a full GT7 holiday 2016.

anyone tried this yet? i got one gold trophy the rest bronze. some of these online times people are putting up are ridiculous. i know they have racing set ups, but daaaaamn.

anyone tried this yet? i got one gold trophy the rest bronze. some of these online times people are putting up are ridiculous. i know they have racing set ups, but daaaaamn.

I don't try to compete with those times. It's too detrimental to my self esteem. :)

I played the demo last night. I liked it OK but it feels to me more like what GT 5 should have been in the first place rather than a full fledged sequel. I know it's just a demo and the full game might be completely different but still. If PS4 wasn't coming out this year I'd probably buy it but since it is, no way am I investing that much time in a current gen game with next gen so close.

Looks pretty good........can only imagine what the PS4 version will look like

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33XHZ0A51ck[/youtube]

VN Store

Back