Oregon Update

GoDucks349

Looks like a rebuilding year under the new coaching staff. Ducks outlook 2017: Very good starting QB, not much of a back up should he go down. QB has Mariota like qualities.

Plenty of excellent RBs in the stable.
WR looks very thin with one and possibly two decent WRs.
Offensive line looking quite good.

New defense, lots of new talent and position changes so who knows. Certainly should be better than last years train wreak.

Look for the Ducks to be much stronger and fitter this year.

Guestimate: Bowl eligible probably, Top 25 finish would be a good year.

2018 recruiting class looks very strong.

Reactions: 7 people
Looks like a rebuilding year under the new coaching staff. Ducks outlook 2017: Very good starting QB, not much of a back up should he go down. QB has Mariota like qualities.

New defense, lots of new talent and position changes so who knows. Certainly should be better than last years train wreak.

Goodluck!! Wish y'all the very best this season. I watched a lot of Yall last year, very young team!

Good Luck this year Ducks.

Like to see you all do well, after the Duck pulling the truck skit last year and of course Mariota to the Titans, ive become a bit of a fan. Good Luck.

Reactions: 6 people

How long was your S&C hire suspended? If you have had gains in the weight room, the support staff must be pretty good. Taggart is recruiting like a beast. He's much better at that than Kelly ever was.

How long was your S&C hire suspended? If you have had gains in the weight room, the support staff must be pretty good. Taggart is recruiting like a beast. He's much better at that than Kelly ever was.

I think the suspension was one month. Yea, Taggart and staff seem to be recruiting the heck out of it. Next year's class (Rivals and 247) have them in the top 4-6 in the country. Don't think I've EVER seen that at Oregon before.

I got a very personal tour of the Oregon basketball facilities last winter. The facilities are absolutely stunning I'm sure the football program certainly has equal facilities. So I'm not surprised that a good recruiter can bring in the top athletes.

That game with Nebraska should be a good one to look forward to.

Yea, Mike Riley (former Ore St coach and grew up in Corvallis) coming back to Autzen will have a lot of additional motivation. Beating us 35-32 on a late TD last year in Lincoln really hurt. I think it was the start of things going bad for the season. They just didn't come together and take care of the rest of the season.

I've had an eye on Taggart for a while, good to see him recruiting well there.

So far, he's recruited well, got rid of some bad apples, instilled missing discipline, improved the conditioning and weight training. The next BIG question is can he coach a game at this level?

AND like any conference there are always a couple rival schools that you have to beat to keep your job.
Loss to Washington 70-21 @ AUTZEN!!! Comes to mind
Loss to OSU 34-24 (it's the beavs for damn sake)
Loss to USC 45-20 ( a team we have a history of beating the majority of the time over the last 20+ years
Lost to Stanford 57-27 (the trees always seem to enjoy beating the Ducks)

I could go on.... it was a very ugly season.

Wishing you all the best. Cfb is more fun when Oregon is doing well. Definitely better fans the fair weathers down in LA.

oregon-duck-truck-92216-usnews-twitter-ftr_2rxhynws4kz1184znogqfy27w.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
He's simply a very high quality guy. I'm very happy he's doing well.

Yep, Titans are a playoff teamnif he stays healthy. Guys gonna be a solid QB. Hopefully the Titans can hang on to him and pay tha man when that time comes.

Its weird, for the first time in a long long time im more excited for Titan football than Vols football.

What exactly was the deal with Helfrich? Is he just one of these "good coordinator, bad head coach" guys?

I know Marcus Mariotas don't grow on trees, but he ran through QBs once he left and it seems like the defense declined before totally imploding after Aliotti left.

What exactly was the deal with Helfrich? Is he just one of these "good coordinator, bad head coach" guys?

I know Marcus Mariotas don't grow on trees, but he ran through QBs once he left and it seems like the defense declined before totally imploding after Aliotti left.

He was extremely overrated because of Chip Kelly. Kelly was the offensive coordinator at Oregon also.

I'm not an expert on the subject of Helfrich, but I will give you a few insights that might help. Helfrich is a local family, for many years I would finish my fly fishing trips at "Helfrich boat landing", the most respected local fly fishing guide service is run by the Helfrich family. I've used them for fly fishing trips in Idaho (Salmon River). I play duplicate bridge against one of the Helfrich's.

Second, Oregon got in the habit of hiring small school coaches to run the Oregon program and they were quite successful with this strategy. Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly and Helfrich all came to Oregon from small schools and were hired originally as offensive coordinators. The concept worked well for Oregon. Much better than hiring a head coach from a big program and having him come in try and change everything to "His way" then flop after 3 years.

Oregon became well known for promoting from within the coaching staff and for having very low coaching turnover.

I guess the net result is perhaps the coaching "gene pool" became diluted and it caught up with Oregon. Taggart fits the small school concept, but he comes from a much different coaching "family tree". So we'll see how it goes........

Oh, and we may have another "Marcus Mariotta" type guy at QB. Plus we do have another "Mariotta" on the team, Marcus' younger brother is at Oregon

Last edited:

VN Store

Back