Neyland Stadium, Shields-Watkins Field was named in 1921 after Col. W.S. Shields and his wife Alice Watkins who provided the funds to build the field. The actual stadium around the field was named after General Robert R. Neyland. Neyland was the head coach at Tennessee from 1926 until 1952. He later was athletic director for ten years until his death in 1962. He is responsible for building the foundation and tradition that we know today.
104,079 – Largest football stadium in the South, third-largest college stadium in the country. Has undergone 16 additions/renovations since the West stands were built in 1921, seating 3200. Latest addition 78 executive suites completed in September 2000
First game as Shields-Watkins Field:
Sept. 24, 1921 – Tennessee 27, Emory & Henry 0.
Dedication game as Neyland Stadium:
Oct. 20, 1962 – Alabama 27, Tennessee 7.
First game on artificial turf:
Sept. 14, 1968 – Tennessee 17, Georgia 17.
Final game on artificial turf:
Nov. 27, 1993 – Tennessee 62, Vanderbilt 14.
First Night Game:
Sept. 16, 1972 – Tennessee 28, Penn State 21.
Neyland Stadium Attendance Records