Tennessee Vols Football News
September 14, Thursday
- Happy Thursday, everyone. Only one more day and we’ve made it through yet another week. We’re just over 48 hours until Tennessee and Florida kick off.
- I’m not sure if anyone else feels this way, but this has been one of the most tame Florida weeks that I can remember in quite some time. Tennessee got the monkey off its back last year, winning the game in Knoxville, and now has a chance to put together a two-game win streak against the Gators for the first time in forever. Yet no one seems overly excited about this game. Battered fan syndrome? Maybe some of you need to watch this video of Fulmer’s pregame speech in 2001 (h/t @Charlie_Burris)
- I know it’s hard to think about hoops in September, at least it is for me, but Tennessee released the full basketball schedule yesterday with game times and networks. Are you excited about this year’s team?
- One more quick basketball note: Josh Richardson just hit the jackpot, signing a 4-year $42M contract extension with the Miami Heat. | Forum Discussion: Josh Richardson got paid
- If you missed the 30 for 30 with former Vol Tony Robinson, you can watch it here, assuming you have the credentials to log into WatchESPN.
- Some folks think this is a big game for Butch Jones, but it may be ever bigger for Gators’ coach Jim McElwain. Florida columnist Mike Bianchi calls the game against Tennessee on Saturday the biggest game of the McElwain era, noting that the Gators haven’t started 0-2 since 1971. Interestingly, the Vols won in Gainesville that year, 20-13, handing the Gators their fourth consecutive loss to start the season. That Tennessee team, led by second-year coach Bill Battle, finished 10-2 and No. 9 in the country. Meanwhile, Florida rallied to finish the season 4-7.
- Butch gets a lot of criticism for his dealings with the media, and some of the things he says. I’d like to seem him respond like this for a change: Saban grills reporter after asking question. Who’s with me?
- OT: The CFL has ended full-contact practices. It’s coming, folks.
- The Lady Vols name and brand logo are BACK, according to John Currie, who made the announcement in a 1 p.m. press conference this afternoon. “We will not allow for the Lady Vol brand to disappear. The Lady Vols name, brand and logo are back.”