Z's Plethora of Notes

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I'm too lazy to write paragraphs today, so no ten thoughts, so I just gathered some notes/stats/short thoughts about the season so far with Memphis coming up.

1. Nothing about Tennessee's defensive profile really sticks out other than top 20 in defensive rating, but two things caught my eye. Tennessee is 39th in block percentage nationally and 33rd nationally in opponent two-point percentage. I think this speaks to Barnes' gameplan to shut down the inside of the arc and Kyle Alexander's impact.

2. Barnes is having Jordan Bone in more pick and roll situations, but Bone has an annoying habit where he gets the ball screen and his first dribble is back instead of forward. It lets the opposing big man hedge and recover. It's not an attacking move.

3. I watched the 2007 Gonzaga/Tennessee game Sunday morning and saw JaJuan Smith hit some corner 3's and I kept thinking how perfect that would be for Jordan Bowden and a great model for his game. He hit a huge corner 3 against Gonzaga and I think that spot could be beneficial for Bowden.

4. Every year Barnes is adding something different to the offense This year it is the addition of the high post offense this year. Williams is kicking ass in that spot and it creates so many mismatches. And Grant is becoming a great passer.

5. One reason why Derrick Walker isn't playing more is too many negative plays. In 46 minutes he has 4 fouls and 4 turnovers and a couple defensive breakdowns. He looks in great shape but has taken a weird step back this year. Don't give up on him. Kyle Alexander did the same thing and he's one of the better centers in the South.

6. Speaking of Alexander, he has a 70.7% true shooting percentage (same as last year). And he gets plays called for him. Really impressive.

7. Tennessee is fourth in the country with a 69.4% (nice) assist percentage, 2nd in the country with 21.1 assists per game, and 5th in assist/turnover ratio.

8. Currently watching Heat/Lakers on NBA TV and Candace Parker is a really good analyst. I enjoy listening to her talk about basketball.

9. As Sunday showed Admiral Schofield is the best NBA prospect on the team and his shooting is why. He's an elite outside shooter and with his size/strength he is gonna have a shot to be a rotation player. I also liked his defense on Hachimura late and that is what scouts saw on Sunday.

10. Next step in Tennessee's offensive profile is improving the free throw rate. With how much they attack the basket and with Schofield/Williams, they should be higher than 169th in the country.

11. An underrated part of John Fulkerson's game: He is the best offensive rebounder on the team at 13.5%. The most important thing in basketball is getting and maintaining possessions and with Tennessee not forcing a lot of turnovers Fulky's offensive rebounding is important.

12. Defensively, very little complaints but I think Tennessee still scrambles too much on drives to the hoop. They shut down the paint but at times they scramble with good ball movement and get lost, leading to open three point attempts. Gonzaga had some good looks on Sunday and Kansas did too earlier in the year.

13. I praised him earlier, but do have a criticism on Bowden, especially since he is the backup PG right now. An 11% turnover percentage with a 13.4% usage rate can't happen. That has to improve, especially for a junior.

14. My life philosophy of zone is for cowards is silly (I hate zone, I get why teams play it) but one thing Tennessee has to work on is the defensive rotation to rebounding in the zone. I wanna say Gonzaga got four offensive rebounds when Tennessee went to the zone. Everyone has to rebound.

15. This is gonna sound crazy, but Tennessee's next ranked opponent (as it currently stands) is when they go to Kentucky on February 16th. Tennessee should be favored in their next 16 games. It's not likely, but not impossible to think this team could be 23-1 going into Rupp Arena.

16. Last time Tennessee was ranked this high? March 2nd, 2008 when Tennessee was the #1 ranked team in the country. Last time Rick Barnes was ranked this high was February 20th, 2011 when Texas was #3 in the country.

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to write paragraphs today, so no ten thoughts, so I just gathered some notes/stats/short thoughts about the season so far with Memphis coming up.

1. Nothing about Tennessee's defensive profile really sticks out other than top 20 in defensive rating, but two things caught my eye. Tennessee is 39th in block percentage nationally and 33rd nationally in opponent two-point percentage. I think this speaks to Barnes' gameplan to shut down the inside of the arc and Kyle Alexander's impact.

2. Barnes is having Jordan Bone in more pick and roll situations, but Bone has an annoying habit where he gets the ball screen and his first dribble is back instead of forward. It lets the opposing big man hedge and recover. It's not an attacking move.

3. I watched the 2007 Gonzaga/Tennessee game Sunday morning and saw JaJuan Smith hit some corner 3's and I kept thinking how perfect that would be for Jordan Bowden and a great model for his game. He hit a huge corner 3 against Gonzaga and I think that spot could be beneficial for Bowden.

4. Every year Barnes is adding something different to the offense This year it is the addition of the high post offense this year. Williams is kicking ass in that spot and it creates so many mismatches. And Grant is becoming a great passer.

5. One reason why Derrick Walker isn't playing more is too many negative plays. In 46 minutes he has 4 fouls and 4 turnovers and a couple defensive breakdowns. He looks in great shape but has taken a weird step back this year. Don't give up on him. Kyle Alexander did the same thing and he's one of the better centers in the South.

6. Speaking of Alexander, he has a 70.7% true shooting percentage (same as last year). And he gets plays called for him. Really impressive.

7. Tennessee is fourth in the country with a 69.4% (nice) assist percentage, 2nd in the country with 21.1 assists per game, and 5th in assist/turnover ratio.

8. Currently watching Heat/Lakers on NBA TV and Candace Parker is a really good analyst. I enjoy listening to her talk about basketball.

9. As Sunday showed Admiral Schofield is the best NBA prospect on the team and his shooting is why. He's an elite outside shooter and with his size/strength he is gonna have a shot to be a rotation player. I also liked his defense on Hachimura late and that is what scouts saw on Sunday.

10. Next step in Tennessee's offensive profile is improving the free throw rate. With how much they attack the basket and with Schofield/Williams, they should be higher than 169th in the country.

11. An underrated part of John Fulkerson's game: He is the best offensive rebounder on the team at 13.5%. The most important thing in basketball is getting and maintaining possessions and with Tennessee not forcing a lot of turnovers Fulky's offensive rebounding is important.

12. Defensively, very little complaints but I think Tennessee still scrambles too much on drives to the hoop. They shut down the paint but at times they scramble with good ball movement and get lost, leading to open three point attempts. Gonzaga had some good looks on Sunday and Kansas did too earlier in the year.

13. I praised him earlier, but do have a criticism on Bowden, especially since he is the backup PG right now. An 11% turnover percentage with a 13.4% usage rate can't happen. That has to improve, especially for a junior.

14. My life philosophy of zone is for cowards is silly (I hate zone, I get why teams play it) but one thing Tennessee has to work on is the defensive rotation to rebounding in the zone. I wanna say Gonzaga got four offensive rebounds when Tennessee went to the zone. Everyone has to rebound.

15. This is gonna sound crazy, but Tennessee's next ranked opponent (as it currently stands) is when they go to Kentucky on February 16th. Tennessee should be favored in their next 16 games. It's not likely, but not impossible to think this team could be 23-1 going into Rupp Arena.

16. Last time Tennessee was ranked this high? March 2nd, 2008 when Tennessee was the #1 ranked team in the country. Last time Rick Barnes was ranked this high was February 20th, 2011 when Texas was #3 in the country.
If we can beat Memphis on the road and because of our easier schedule there is a good chance that both Kansas and Duke lose before we play @ Ky. I wonder if we have ever been ranked #1 while playing in Rupp. Memphis will be a wild atmosphere and tough but being #1 and playing Ky in Rupp would be a huge test!! I think we struggle vs Memphis but win leaving the opportunity open.

Good observations . Wondering if they too kind of much weight off of Walker. While he should be able to move better,he still looks lost our there and now can't use his body to post up as well as he did last season. If we can get Turner back to last season form, we will be difficult to beat. Bowden stepped up but is not a good option at point guard

Reactions: DonDiego
Im worried about the memphis game. penny's chance for his first big win, and against a rival. They'll be ready. Hope we are.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
good stuff...now, if Grant can stop fouling out...we're set...:D

GO VOLS!
Liked Barnes' take on that fifth foul. Said, at that point in the game you have to make that play. Said earlier you may not. The sacrifice was necessary at that time. Also said Grant was more upset about the fourth.

If we can beat Memphis on the road and because of our easier schedule there is a good chance that both Kansas and Duke lose before we play @ Ky. I wonder if we have ever been ranked #1 while playing in Rupp. Memphis will be a wild atmosphere and tough but being #1 and playing Ky in Rupp would be a huge test!! I think we struggle vs Memphis but win leaving the opportunity open.

The keys here are Memphis, on the road, home cooking..

Liked Barnes' take on that fifth foul. Said, at that point in the game you have to make that play. Said earlier you may not. The sacrifice was necessary at that time. Also said Grant was more upset about the fourth.

He should have been too, that call was pure &%(#@% and should have never been called. Also, when Yves got his slam dunk blocked, there should have been a foul called as the guy was all over Yves. There were ligitament grounds for an assault charge, yet no whistle.

Reactions: 1985Vols
#9. Your comment about Scholfield being the most NBA ready. I like him and hope he gets a shot. I can't help but think that Grant Williams has to be getting on some teams radar's with his play against Hatchimura and that forward from Kansas. He more than held his own and showed some athleticism. I know he is undersized and not super athletic but he does so many things well. Otherwise I agreed with everything you said.

He should have been too, that call was pure &%(#@% and should have never been called. Also, when Yves got his slam dunk blocked, there should have been a foul called as the guy was all over Yves. There were ligitament grounds for an assault charge, yet no whistle.

That was a clear mugging for sure. What made it worse is that dweeb ESPN announcer had an orgasm about it. I wanted to choke the SOB.

Reactions: Stoked and musolfmj
Im worried about the memphis game. penny's chance for his first big win, and against a rival. They'll be ready. Hope we are.
I am a little anxious about it as well...NOT because of the talent level or team at Memphis but because of the situation the Vols are in. Emotions can really change a team however I THINK we are mature enough to handle it....Wouldn't surprise me to see the Vols win handily but it scares me a bit. Should be a large contingent of orange in the stands. Ill be there and there were plenty of seats still available on StubHub and Vivid seat so come on down Vol fans....

Dane Bradshaw made a point on a Memphis radio show this morning that previous Tennessee teams had players from Memphis that would fire us up. This year’s team doesn’t, so not really any of them know the significance of this rivalry. But knowing the leaders we have, I expect them to come in fired up and poised. The Memphis crowd will not intimidate them.

I definitely think this is a trap game. It reminds me of the time TN became number 1 after beating Memphis in Memphis. Then, the next game we go out an lose against an inferior team.

I think we need to explode out the gate, and just keep poring it on. It might not be as exciting, but I just don't think we need to let them stay in the game.

Agree on both counts. Yet, the media is hailing that block as one of the most impressive so far this season.

I definitely think this is a trap game. It reminds me of the time TN became number 1 after beating Memphis in Memphis. Then, the next game we go out an lose against an inferior team.

I think we need to explode out the gate, and just keep poring it on. It might not be as exciting, but I just don't think we need to let them stay in the game.

I’m expecting Memphis to explode out the gate. But if we do, great. I expect us to pull away in the 2nd half.

Reactions: i2amavol

That Vanderbilt team was ranked 18 at the time and went 26-8. It was a tough turnaround after beating #1. That Vandy team did lose by 21 to Siena in the first round of the NCAAT though.

Reactions: i2amavol
I’m expecting Memphis to explode out the gate. But if we do, great. I expect us to pull away in the 2nd half.

We will wear them down inside. They don't have an answer for the physical play. The only way they are able to hang in late is if Harris and others start draining threes. I wish we could have landed Harris. He is perfect for what we need the next few years, but he probably wouldn't be getting many minutes on our team.

I don't see this as a trap game at all because this is a mature blue collar team that brings their lunch pail and is ready to work every game. It's bball and any team can win on a given night, but I don't worry about the team giving the game away with a lack of effort.

I don't see this as a trap game at all because this is a mature blue collar team that brings their lunch pail and is ready to work every game. It's bball and any team can win on a given night, but I don't worry about the team giving the game away with a lack of effort.
I agree with u, completely. This UT team plays too much defense, too hard and too smart to lose to this Memphis team. I expect a 12+ point win

That was a clear mugging for sure. What made it worse is that dweeb ESPN announcer had an orgasm about it. I wanted to choke the SOB.
I usually don't complain about announcers, but he was the most annoying one I've ever heard. The Gonzaga bias was way too much. You could tell he was upset they lost.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back