Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Got sidetracked on thinking about that. The sour cream potato chips taste nothing lime sour cream, just like sriracha Lays taste nothing like sriracha.

Did you ever try the Cheeseburger flavored Pringels? Amazing! You could taste the char, onion and pickle flavors. Seriously, it was crazy.

Reactions: Souce
I wouldn't eat sour cream for years, but now love it on baked potatoes and Mexican food.

How so? Nutritionally, as in lower calories, fat content etc?
Lower in fat & calories, higher in protein, has beneficial live cultures. Also, store-bought varieties usually have less additives than store-bought sour cream. Like many fermented foods, sour cream has nutritional benefits. I don't avoid it. Having a choice, I prefer Greek yogurt.

We have both regular and Mexican style sour cream in the fridge. Mexican style is a little bit thinner consistency, higher in butterfat, a touch sweeter, and slightly less acidic.

Lower in fat & calories, higher in protein, has beneficial live cultures. Also, store-bought varieties usually have less additives than store-bought sour cream. Like many fermented foods, sour cream has nutritional benefits. I don't avoid it. Having a choice, I prefer Greek yogurt.
I agree with you. I've also tried to replace SC with GY on several foods. It's just not the same flavor wise. But I agree that GY is hands down better nutritionally.

I dip French fries in sour cream. I also add it to Swiss cheese - mushroom burgers. Mmm.

Can’t yet get myself to like yogurt, although DH goes through a big tub of GY in three days. He adds blueberries, almonds etc. He’ll live forever!

Reactions: MoodyVol and Souce
Got sidetracked on thinking about that. The sour cream potato chips taste nothing lime sour cream, just like sriracha Lays taste nothing like sriracha.

Did you ever try the Cheeseburger flavored Pringels? Amazing! You could taste the char, onion and pickle flavors. Seriously, it was crazy.
never tried those, but I have tried ketchup flavored potato chips. While they do taste like catsup, that crap was nasty as a tater chip

Haha, I figured it was about calories and fat.

I meant to ask the other day when we were talking about buttermilk and I forgot. We talked about it before but I make my own creme fraiche about once a week. I use it as I would sour cream, for soup bases, in sauces and as a desert/fruit topping. If you already have buttermilk, all you need is some heavy cream.

never tried those, but I have tried ketchup flavored potato chips. While they do taste like catsup, that crap was nasty as a tater chip

Don't think I would care for them either. I wasn't a fan of the cheeseburger Pringels, but it can't be denied how much they tasted like an actual charbroiled cheeseburger.

Haha, I figured it was about calories and fat.

I meant to ask the other day when we were talking about buttermilk and I forgot. We talked about it before but I make my own creme fraiche about once a week. I use it as I would sour cream, for soup bases, in sauces and as a desert/fruit topping. If you already have buttermilk, all you need is some heavy cream.

No one wants to hear about your uppity version of sour cream.

I buy creme fraiche at Trader Joe's, 95, but I'm curious. If it's not a hassle, I may try to make it.

2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3 Tablespoons buttermilk

Pour the cream in a non reactive bowl or dish, I use a clear glass casserole dish. Then stir in the buttermilk and cover it with a towel. It needs to get air but doesn't need to be disturbed so a towel works perfect.

Leave it on your counter or table at room temperature 70-75 for 16-24 hours. Mine usually takes about 16 at 73 degrees. Depends on temp and humidity. It has taken as long as 30, but that was my first couple of tries and the temp was the problem.

After about 12 you can check it. I use a clear glass dish so I can just gently shake it to see if it's still liquid. If it is leave it alone for a couple of hours and check it again.

When it's done stir it real good and refrigerate. It'll stay good for about a week.

I start it at night after I'm done in the kitchen and it's usually done by noon or so.

May Seem like a pain but it's not at all. After you do it a couple of times and get it down, it's so simple and worth it.

2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3 Tablespoons buttermilk

Pour the cream in a non reactive bowl or dish, I use a clear glass casserole dish. Then stir in the buttermilk and cover it with a towel. It needs to get air but doesn't need to be disturbed so a towel works perfect.

Leave it on your counter or table at room temperature 70-75 for 16-24 hours. Mine usually takes about 16 at 73 degrees. Depends on temp and humidity. It has taken as long as 30, but that was my first couple of tries and the temp was the problem.

After about 12 you can check it. I use a clear glass dish so I can just gently shake it to see if it's still liquid. If it is leave it alone for a couple of hours and check it again.

When it's done stir it real good and refrigerate. It'll stay good for about a week.

I start it at night after I'm done in the kitchen and it's usually done by noon or so.

May Seem like a pain but it's not at all. After you do it a couple of times and get it down, it's so simple and worth it.

👍

Behr and Rusty playing nice..... Where am I?

twilight_zone-314134213_large.jpg

VN Store

Back