Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Was at Wally world yesterday getting some Greek oregano and they had some really healthy looking bee balm plants. I contemplated on getting a couple and didn't, but wish I had after I got home. You guys talking about it is my sign. I'm gonna go get 2 later.

Ive never grown any but I remember my mom had some and one of those hummingbird feeders at one time. I never saw hummingbirds there, but she had pictures and they were so cool.

Yadda yadda, as good as done!

Was at Wally world yesterday getting some Greek oregano and they had some really healthy looking bee balm plants. I contemplated on getting a couple and didn't, but wish I had after I got home. You guys talking about it is my sign. I'm gonna go get 2 later.

Ive never grown any but I remember my mom had some and one of those hummingbird feeders at one time. I never saw hummingbirds there, but she had pictures and they were so cool.

Yadda yadda, as good as done!
I remember the first time I saw them for sale and thought the flower was so unusual. I read up on them a little and decided I was going to get some. Then, a friend at work said she had a lot of it growing and would bring me some the next day. The ones I saw at the garden place were in bloom and in a nursery pot, but the ones she brought me (a dozen or so) were bare root and about three inches tall. She had them wrapped in a wet paper towel. All those were red. That first year, they all came up, and I had to start thinning by the second year. I tried some in containers, but mine did better in the ground. That root trail (only way I know to describe it) on them is definitely "mintish." I have given several of them away as well. Here in east TN, the bee balm are about four inches tall right now. It's usually late May before they bloom.

Reactions: VolNExile
I remember the first time I saw them for sale and thought the flower was so unusual. I read up on them a little and decided I was going to get some. Then, a friend at work said she had a lot of it growing and would bring me some the next day. The ones I saw at the garden place were in bloom and in a nursery pot, but the ones she brought me (a dozen or so) were bare root and about three inches tall. She had them wrapped in a wet paper towel. All those were red. That first year, they all came up, and I had to start thinning by the second year. I tried some in containers, but mine did better in the ground. That root trail (only way I know to describe it) on them is definitely "mintish." I have given several of them away as well. Here in east TN, the bee balm are about four inches tall right now. It's usually late May before they bloom.
I decided to get just one. It's about 4" tall. I put it in a 6" pot for now. I see how it could take over, the container it came in was full of roots. More roots than dirt. Crazy.

I decided to get just one. It's about 4" tall. I put it in a 6" pot for now. I see how it could take over, the container it came in was full of roots. More roots than dirt. Crazy.
The oregano plants I grow in pots do that, too. The roots just travel "in circles" inside the pot. After a year of keeping them outside, I wonder where the dirt that was in there goes. HAHA
I'd say you could have snipped off some of those and buried them in other pots and wound up with several.

Reactions: Behr and VolNExile
The oregano plants I grow in pots do that, too. The roots just travel "in circles" inside the pot. After a year of keeping them outside, I wonder where the dirt that was in there goes. HAHA
I'd say you could have snipped off some of those and buried them in other pots and wound up with several.
I don't want several. Lol.

tenor.gif

VN Store

Back