Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Oh lawd, yes. Three narrow lanes in each direction, crammed with SUVs with windows up, AC on full blast, and radios blaring, driving fat dumb and happy.

I am referring specifically to the stretch between Perkins and Yates, where my mom lived. (She was on Shady Grove.)

Extra points for surviving Walnut Grove Extended between 240 and her rehab at Memphis Jewish Home and Rehab for the six weeks she was there and at Baptist East, especially the stretch through Shelby Farms.

I figure that as @hmanvolfan has survived G’town Rd through Cordova, he is obviously indestructible.

I remember where the house was, took some pics of it

01.JPG

Reactions: VolNExile
I remember where the house was, took some pics of it

View attachment 309151
That was you!!!! I was just thinking that maybe it was.

Thank you so much for posting them. After a lot of thought back and forth, I showed them to my mom. I thought that she might be sad, but she no longer really remembers the house she lived in from 1975 or -6 to 2019. She only remembers 1171 Tanglewood, the house she grew up in until she married at age 18. In 1945. ☹️ The rest, all those years as an Army wife, has mostly faded out.

That was you!!!! I was just thinking that maybe it was.

Thank you so much for posting them. After a lot of thought back and forth, I showed them to my mom. I thought that she might be sad, but she no longer really remembers the house she lived in from 1975 or -6 to 2019. She only remembers 1171 Tanglewood, the house she grew up in until she married at age 18. In 1945. ☹️ The rest, all those years as an Army wife, has mostly faded out.
Sad that she has developed into the state of mind she’s in but wonderful that a daughter she raised well is doing what she can for her. Bless you

You’re welcome on the pictures. Have more from that day & videos if you’re interested

Reactions: VolNExile
Sad that she has developed into the state of mind she’s in but wonderful that a daughter she raised well is doing what she can for her. Bless you

You’re welcome on the pictures. Have more from that day & videos if you’re interested
Thank you so much. I’ll get back to you on that. It’s a weird feeling that I’m kind of sentimental about a house that I lived in for maybe six months in my college years, while she was there with my dad for 5-6 years until he died, and then 39 years as a widow, but no longer remembers it without prompting.

It sort of brings up the question of what mark we leave on this world after we’re gone and after those who remember us are also gone. Most of her friends are gone (or ga-ga), and I have to wonder if in 20 years, it will be as if she existed at all. And yet she was a vibrant woman, always the belle of the ball. What memory do we leave behind us, if any, once our kids and grandkids are gone?

Sorry, I know that sounds morbid as hell to younger peeps, but it’s sort of fascinating to think about.

Thank you so much. I’ll get back to you on that. It’s a weird feeling that I’m kind of sentimental about a house that I lived in for maybe six months in my college years, while she was there with my dad for 5-6 years until he died, and then 39 years as a widow, but no longer remembers it without prompting.

It sort of brings up the question of what mark we leave on this world after we’re gone and after those who remember us are also gone. Most of her friends are gone (or ga-ga), and I have to wonder if in 20 years, it will be as if she existed at all. And yet she was a vibrant woman, always the belle of the ball. What memory do we leave behind us, if any, once our kids and grandkids are gone?

Sorry, I know that sounds morbid as hell to younger peeps, but it’s sort of fascinating to think about.
Your mom is a true classy lady. Know this from how you’ve spoken about her. She’s really blessed to have you as daughter. Know it’s tough on you both mentally & physically watching her go thru the changes.

Haven’t been back in the area since the pictures. I’m sure it’s finished by now

VN Store

Back