Zeigler Included on Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Watch List

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
394283_20230121_MB_LSU_IC_048-9900000000079e3c.jpg

UT Release

Tennessee sophomore guard Zakai Zeigler has been named to the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Watch List, the Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Thursday.

Midway through his second season as a Vol, Zeigler has posted elite defensive numbers in addition to his impressive offensive numbers.

Through 20 games this season, Zeigler has recorded a team-high 46 steals and is averaging 2.4 steals per game in SEC play—a mark that ranks third in the conference.

In total this season, Zeigler has eight games with three or more steals, including five with four or more takeaways. He ranks 22nd among all Division I players in steal percentage—recording a steal in 4.8 percent of possessions in which he is on the court.

As a team, Tennessee leads the nation in scoring defense (53.7 ppg) and opponent field goal percentage (.339) while ranking eighth in the nation in steals per game (9.7 spg). Zeigler is one of three Vols with 30 or more steals this season.

I think he needs to be added to the Bob Cousy Award watchlist, too. He is so important to this team.

Kinda weird Santi isn't on that list.. He is actually 2nd in the SEC (15th nationally) ZZ is 3rd(22nd). Not saying Santi is a better overall defender but just saying. Maybe its because ZZ is an onball guy and Santi is more of a help defender?

You know what is going to be funny? When one of the literal most historic defenses of the last 20 years doesn’t end up having the defensive player of the year, because we all know these awards are kind of BS.

I'll be floored if Tshibwe doesn't win it.

You know what is going to be funny? When one of the literal most historic defenses of the last 20 years doesn’t end up having the defensive player of the year, because we all know these awards are kind of BS.
Just because you have the best defense does not mean you have the best defender and just because you have the best team does not mean you have the best player(s). A team with a lot of really good defenders will be a better defensive team than one with 1 or 2 elite ones.

Reactions: VOLinPD
Just because you have the best defense does not mean you have the best defender and just because you have the best team does not mean you have the best player(s). A team with a lot of really good defenders will be a better defensive team than one with 1 or 2 elite ones.

Tennessee, statistically, has 4 of the 18 best defenders in the country, and 5 of the best 24. Those are metrics, not just the “eye test”. If we’re being objective, which these watchlists are not, Tennessee should have more players on this Top 15.

Tennessee, statistically, has 4 of the 18 best defenders in the country, and 5 of the best 24. Those are metrics, not just the “eye test”. If we’re being objective, which these watchlists are not, Tennessee should have more players on this Top 15.
I get what you're saying but honestly ZZ is the only eye test great defender.. Santi is, as I have mentioned many times, a sneaky good help defender. Also the system itself is going to get a lot of credit.. it sucks but that's how it works.. Just like no one will give Stetson Bennett credit because he played for UGA.... is he the best QB in the nation Yes and No...there are better singular QB's quite a few in fact statistically and talentwise.. but he has the hardware....The best college defender is likely on some no-name team and you'll never see him. It's all about platform and visibility. UT is not a sexy blueblood name in basketball yet... People know that Barnes has great defensive teams he always does and that kind of gets held against some of these players because the system gets credit. That being said in a few more years that story changes as more people go from UT to the league and show out (like Grant is).

Kinda weird Santi isn't on that list.. He is actually 2nd in the SEC (15th nationally) ZZ is 3rd(22nd). Not saying Santi is a better overall defender but just saying. Maybe its because ZZ is an onball guy and Santi is more of a help defender?
Have you been watching Santi play this year?!? He’s as good as anyone playing on ball or help defense. He should definitely be on that list. Heck Josiah also.

Reactions: walkenvol
He finished in the top 4 last season and the other 3 guys are in the NBA now. Voters for these things aren't very original.
You’re right in that the voters aren’t well informed of the candidates. I agree with BTO that they’ll probably give it to whoever from a top program leads the country in either blocks or steals.

You’re right in that the voters aren’t well informed of the candidates. I agree with BTO that they’ll probably give it to whoever from a top program leads the country in either blocks or steals.
I don’t think I’ve commented on this topic

I get what you're saying but honestly ZZ is the only eye test great defender.. Santi is, as I have mentioned many times, a sneaky good help defender. Also the system itself is going to get a lot of credit.. it sucks but that's how it works.. Just like no one will give Stetson Bennett credit because he played for UGA.... is he the best QB in the nation Yes and No...there are better singular QB's quite a few in fact statistically and talentwise.. but he has the hardware....The best college defender is likely on some no-name team and you'll never see him. It's all about platform and visibility. UT is not a sexy blueblood name in basketball yet... People know that Barnes has great defensive teams he always does and that kind of gets held against some of these players because the system gets credit. That being said in a few more years that story changes as more people go from UT to the league and show out (like Grant is).
Who's eye?

VN Store

Back