Yves Pons, SEC Defensive Player of the Year?

Stats wise I think he has a legit shot to win it

Me personally I think the shot blocking has at times hurt us. I think he has often times left his man too quickly hunting blocks which has allowed to many offensive boards or easy assist to his man

Reactions: cncchris33
DPOY is a tough one because IMO traditional stats don’t matter. I think you gotta use a combination of advanced stats and the eye test for context.

For instance, I think opposing player guarded FG% is important. And then the context around that is what players did you guard? Average players or the best players on the other team? And further context is average fgs attempted because good defense can also mean opponent takes fewer shots because fewer opportunities...etc

Last edited:
that's incredible looking at the blocks/pf category. way above the other guys, meaning he not only blocks more shots, he doesnt just bang in there, but cleanly swats them. wow

DPOY is a tough one because IMO traditional stats don’t matter. I think you gotta use a combination of advanced stats and the eye test for context.

For instance, I think opposing player guarded FG% is important. And then the context around that is what players did you guard? Average players or the best players on the other team? And further context is average fgs attempted because good defense can also mean opponent takes fewer shots because fewer opportunities...etc
Definitely. Hard to rate defensive performance just based on available stats. The combination of defensive rebounding, blocks, steals tend to favor the bigs. And even steals isn’t a great indicator based on style of play.

Reactions: berryvol
Bowden is far and away the best defensive player on this team. But Yves makes the crazy exciting plays (although Bowden has had his fair share of high flying blocks). I think Yves will win this due to his flashy blocks and ability to guard multiple positions.

I think you have to go further than just blocks. How he impacts a game defensively. I think he's a phenomenal weak side defender, and extremely versatile.

Pons and Fulkerson will make SEC First team lineup
Bowden will make SEC Second Team
Vescovi and perhaps James for the Freshman SEC squad

Defensive player of the year should go to a lock down defender, who can defend several positions. Leading the league in blocked shots is great for Pons, but did he lock anyone down? I think he locked down the KY post players in the last game at Rupp.

Yes, in other words, this is probably the hardest award to vet based on all the factors in trying to decide who should win.

I’d say Pons is likely considering his blocks along with his ability to guard both the post and perimeter. Who chooses the POY awards? Does CRB campaign much for his players?

Defensive player of the year should go to a lock down defender, who can defend several positions. Leading the league in blocked shots is great for Pons, but did he lock anyone down? I think he locked down the KY post players in the last game at Rupp.
Go back and look at the KY game again. He stonewalled Nick Richards despite giving up a height advantage and he cut off the KY guards when they tried to drive the lane. He wins just on that game alone.

Pons is a welcome sight protecting the rim. Although, it's not because if his length, but athleticism. Unfortunately, that has often led to openings for other players to score in his absence. Pons is not a DkmbMutumbo style shot blocker. He does so OFF the ball more. Teams have found that if they can get into his body, then his blocks are neutralized. But the great thing @ Pons is his ability to guard multiple positions. He literally can guard 1-5 in the SEC. He has the athleticism to make himself in to a Rodmanesque player at the next level IMO. He should spend the off-season watching tape of that guy rebounding and defending. Add to that some more post moves and 3 ball reps and watch out.

Unfortunately I think Maik Kotsar might win it.

8th in Steals in the SEC at 46
10th in Blocks in the SEC at 34

Only SEC player in the top 10 in both categories.

VN Store

Back