Your Thoughts

orangetaz

I just read this in a article what are your thoughts?

Sources indicated that if a move occurs, it would likelier be at the end of the regular season.

However, the trip to Kentucky right after Alabama now looms as a must-win. Essentially, Butch would have to win out after losing to Bama in order to have a chance

Recruiting class is already trashed, so no sense of rushing things now. I don't think its a matter of "if" but "when" butch jones getting fired. I would pray it's already set in stone.

Reactions: 3 people

Sources indicated that if a move occurs, it would likelier be at the end of the regular season.

However, the trip to Kentucky right after Alabama now looms as a must-win. Essentially, Butch would have to win out after losing to Bama in order to have a chance

Yep as I mentioned yesterday, the next 10 games are very winnable and very well could save him.

Kentucky
Southern Miss
Missouri
Vandy
LSU
Bowl game (Play Texas)
WVU
ETSU
UTEP
Florida

In my opinion if he wins out then he saves it. Cost is the problem here. Lose any of the next 5 and it's over.

Honestly if he can turn this around with a 10 game plus winning streak, I may be back on board for a little while.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

My problem is that if we are hedging our football program on being competitive with Kentucky, we are no longer committed to being a winning program. His fate should be sealed by now. We have no way of knowing if Currie is working behind the scenes, but if he isn't we are committed to being middle of the pack athletically in the SEC.

Reactions: 10 people
I'd hate to be Currie. I think ADs will forever look at what I call the Les Miles case study.

Here's the double edged sword:

Scenario 1- 2 years ago they wanted LM gone, but allowing him to finish the season and get on a roll made some fans, boosters and players to rally around him.

Scenario 2- Les was fired mid-season and Coach Yaw Yaw got on a roll. After missing on all the high profile guys, pressure was there to keep coach O.

Both years were tough situations for LSU.

There's no crystal ball for Currie. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best to do right now.

Reactions: 7 people
We've had Butch for 5 years and he still hasn't made it to the SEC championship game in a really weak conference. Time to move on.

Reactions: 4 people

I really have no clue. Rumors have been all over the place. Some pundits thought he'd be fired yesterday or today. Other media were calling for his firing after the Georgia massacre. I thought Georgia should have been the time given the bye week and a winnable game at home against USCe. Hyams said around a week ago he was told that he'd get to coach through Kentucky. If he lost he would be canned. If he won, he'd get to coach the next game. I don't think we'll see Currie say anything until he announces the termination. Pat Forde joined the long list of media when interviewed today on Finebaum in saying he's confident that Butch will be fired this year. It's just a matter of when it happens.

He will be fired as soon as we are not bowl eligible. That means losing game 7 before bowl season. If he does not lose game 7 & it be before bowl season, he will very likely be retained (unless both parties agree to a reduced buyout). So the reality is we just need to suck it up and get behind our team because all this whining and speculating isn't gonna change anything anytime soon!

GoVOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
There's no crystal ball for Currie. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best to do right now.

I'll pretend to know what's best to do right now:

Fire Jones
Name an interim coach
Send a Fulmer entourage out to try to salvage our 2018 recruiting class
Hire a proven winner as next coach

Given our 2018 recruits are dropping like flies, doing anything other than this is football suicide.

My problem is that if we are hedging our football program on being competitive with Kentucky, we are no longer committed to being a winning program. His fate should be sealed by now. We have no way of knowing if Currie is working behind the scenes, but if he isn't we are committed to being middle of the pack athletically in the SEC.

This

UT AD don't get IT

Is Butch is spending what little equity he had amassed, like a drunken sailor on leave?:p

Middle of the pack is definately a compliment for this years team, they are much closer to the bottom of the SEC than fans realize:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Currie will take the most conservative approach possible, giving BJ every chance in the world to save Currie from having to find another FB coach.

Bean counters suck in Fansworld

Jones is in to his 5th season as a head coach. The stats don't lie. He's 3-12 against Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. And I believe his record against the SEC stands at 14-22. I think the main problem is the UT Administration is no longer committed to winning. With the meddling/assistance of the Haslam's nothing will continue to change.

Reactions: 3 people

Winning out still means 8-4 at best, losses to your 3 biggest rivals, the 3 teams perceived to be ahead of you in your division, and one of the worst offensive performances from any team in program history. The perception that he's a lame duck coach still looms large, and recruiting will only further suffer. What does the program stand to gain by bringing him back other than to save a couple million bucks in buyout money; money they would lose several times over in lost revenue this season and next.

Fulmer was fired and received a buyout, and Dooley was fired and received a buyout. Why do some think TENN will not fire CBJ. My guess Currie knows CBJ is gone at season's end, but doesn't see any advantage to letting him go mid-season and naming an interim. An interim will not change recruiting, a low tier bowl (if reachable) does not make any money, and it puts stress on the remaining staff. Leaving Butch through the end of season actually saves some buyout money. The odds of being able to announce any new hire before the season is over is very low. No coach currently coaching is going to publicly commit to TENN before his season is over. Professional people do not talk publicly about personnel issues!!!! VolNation has been the exact same for every new coaching search / hire since I've been reading. I think fans know Currie can't talk but they use this site to vent and type what they want to happen. Good therapy.

Jones is in to his 5th season as a head coach. The stats don't lie. He's 3-12 against Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. And I believe his record against the SEC stands at 14-22. I think the main problem is the UT Administration is no longer committed to winning. With the meddling/assistance of the Haslam's nothing will continue to change.

"nothing will continue to change"?
WTF

The Future's just not what it used to be, is it?

He's 3-12 against Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. And I believe his record against the SEC stands at 14-22.

Just looked up Fulmer's SEC record. He lost 34 SEC games. Took him somewhere around 16 seasons to do that. 96–34 in the SEC. (I think one of them was a tie with Alabama that was vacated when they cheated)

Butch is done by the end of the season at the latest. He will either be fired or leave on his own for another job.

Yep as I mentioned yesterday, the next 10 games are very winnable and very well could save him.

Kentucky
Southern Miss
Missouri
Vandy
LSU
Bowl game (Play Texas)
WVU
ETSU
UTEP
Florida

In my opinion if he wins out then he saves it. Cost is the problem here. Lose any of the next 5 and it's over.

Honestly if he can turn this around with a 10 game plus winning streak, I may be back on board for a little while.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Let's just say that happens (I'd give odds around 1% :crazy:), I'm back on board too - with wins over LSU, Tex, WVU, and UF.

VN Store

Back