Your Thoughts

I just read this in a article what are your thoughts?

Sources indicated that if a move occurs, it would likelier be at the end of the regular season.

However, the trip to Kentucky right after Alabama now looms as a must-win. Essentially, Butch would have to win out after losing to Bama in order to have a chance

Butch is gone and everybody knows it, including Butch. If there was any chance of Butch keeping his job, Currie, Fulmer, and others would be making public statements of support. The mind boggling component here is the timing. The team, coaches, and fan base have given up on Butch. He has lost control and brings nothing positive to UT right now. The only thing the team has to play for is extra practices that come with a bowl game and maybe a little hope for next season. Currie is completely botching this firing. Lets just hope he doesn't botch the hiring.

Fulmer was fired and received a buyout, and Dooley was fired and received a buyout. Why do some think TENN will not fire CBJ. My guess Currie knows CBJ is gone at season's end, but doesn't see any advantage to letting him go mid-season and naming an interim. An interim will not change recruiting, a low tier bowl (if reachable) does not make any money, and it puts stress on the remaining staff. Leaving Butch through the end of season actually saves some buyout money. The odds of being able to announce any new hire before the season is over is very low. No coach currently coaching is going to publicly commit to TENN before his season is over. Professional people do not talk publicly about personnel issues!!!! VolNation has been the exact same for every new coaching search / hire since I've been reading. I think fans know Currie can't talk but they use this site to vent and type what they want to happen. Good therapy.

I believe Fulmer as interim would change recruiting. Just show recruits the movie Blindside and they are in the bag. WE ARE TENNESSEE!

The dept allowed the coach to frame it as "it takes 6-7 years" and now the new AD's emphasis is "what's the long-term situation for our program" (so I've concluded this AD is not too concerned about short-term bumps under his first couple of years).

"“First and foremost, we’re in an enterprise that’s about education and about creating opportunities for young people and about an environment where young people can grow to be their best. That’s the first thing we start with, with any of our coaches and support people around the staff,” he said."

Butch is gone one way or the other. Currie would like for him to win out and for him to find other employment. Butch is going to get paid either way and he won't be at Tennessee but he might not necessarily be fired. The question is can we get out of most of that 14 million. It's a win win if he wins out, leaves for less money, and we don't have to fire him. For all the flack Currie has got he's handling this as well as it can be handled.

If he loses to Kentucky, I honestly don't know what we'll do.

Sources indicated that if a move occurs, it would likelier be at the end of the regular season.

However, the trip to Kentucky right after Alabama now looms as a must-win. Essentially, Butch would have to win out after losing to Bama in order to have a chance

If this team loses to a Kensuckey the whole staff should pack!

I'd hate to be Currie. I think ADs will forever look at what I call the Les Miles case study.

Here's the double edged sword:

Scenario 1- 2 years ago they wanted LM gone, but allowing him to finish the season and get on a roll made some fans, boosters and players to rally around him.

Scenario 2- Les was fired mid-season and Coach Yaw Yaw got on a roll. After missing on all the high profile guys, pressure was there to keep coach O.

Both years were tough situations for LSU.

There's no crystal ball for Currie. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best to do right now.

I think its a mistake to relate the firing to the hiring. The hiring was bad but had nothing to do with the firing. The same thing could have happened if he fired him at the end. The Ad bowed to pressure and rushed the hiring of O like we did dooley. If needed sacrifice a recruiting class and make the right hire and it will pay off!

Reactions: 1 person
The fact that Butch is still the coach tells me that there's something weird going on......something fishy. If he hasn't been fired yet then for all we know there's probably no intention to fire him. It just doesn't seem right to me. It can't be about recruits. Recruits are starting to change they're commitments because they're confused. Maybe Currie thinks that Butch is the best we can do so he wants to hold on to him. But come on guys.......he should've been fired by now.

Reactions: 1 person
yep as i mentioned yesterday, the next 10 games are very winnable and very well could save him.

Kentucky
southern miss
missouri
vandy
lsu
bowl game (play texas)
wvu
etsu
utep
florida

in my opinion if he wins out then he saves it. Cost is the problem here. Lose any of the next 5 and it's over.

Honestly if he can turn this around with a 10 game plus winning streak, i may be back on board for a little while.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

🙄

The fact that Butch is still the coach tells me that there's something weird going on......something fishy. If he hasn't been fired yet then for all we know there's probably no intention to fire him. It just doesn't seem right to me. It can't be about recruits. Recruits are starting to change they're commitments because they're confused. Maybe Currie thinks that Butch is the best we can do so he wants to hold on to him. But come on guys.......he should've been fired by now.

When your 4 star, in state commitments (Brendon Harris) start flipping to Vandy, you have serious issues.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is gone one way or the other. Currie would like for him to win out and for him to find other employment. Butch is going to get paid either way and he won't be at Tennessee but he might not necessarily be fired. The question is can we get out of most of that 14 million. It's a win win if he wins out, leaves for less money, and we don't have to fire him. For all the flack Currie has got he's handling this as well as it can be handled.

If he loses to Kentucky, I honestly don't know what we'll do.

Adams said on Finebaum Monday that he thinks Butch is fired after the KY loss.

Adams said on Finebaum Monday that he thinks Butch is fired after the KY loss.
And then they'll say he's fired after the Southern Miss game.....and then they'll say he's fired after the Missouri game.....LSU...Vandy.....after Valentine's Day....after St Patrick's Day...........:popcorn:

Reactions: 3 people
Yep as I mentioned yesterday, the next 10 games are very winnable and very well could save him.

Kentucky
Southern Miss
Missouri
Vandy
LSU
Bowl game (Play Texas)
WVU
ETSU
UTEP
Florida

In my opinion if he wins out then he saves it. Cost is the problem here. Lose any of the next 5 and it's over.

Honestly if he can turn this around with a 10 game plus winning streak, I may be back on board for a little while.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Just watched the re-play of LSU Ole Miss there is no way our "D" stops LSU ground game. Derrius Guice had 276 yards alone They will rack up 500 yards on our "D"

If we lose at the Kittens, and he is NOT fired - there will be a riot Do we lack any semblance of dignity?

Just watched the re-play of LSU Ole Miss there is no way our "D" stops LSU ground game. Derrius Guice had 276 yards alone They will rack up 500 yards on our "D"

If our D didnt have to play 90-100 plays a game cause the offense is horrible, I think that they would be OK

Reactions: 2 people
Remembering the past Head coaching hires at UT, wouldn't it be better if Jones could win out?
I'm having a hard time convincing myself that UT won't muck up another HC hire, how bout you?:)

We must get a coach that motivates our players to run thru a wall for UT. I want to get back to competing for Championships not just going to a Bowl game. The right choice could save a lot of choice recruits that are just plain uncertain about our future.

The dept allowed the coach to frame it as "it takes 6-7 years" and now the new AD's emphasis is "what's the long-term situation for our program" (so I've concluded this AD is not too concerned about short-term bumps under his first couple of years).

"“First and foremost, we’re in an enterprise that’s about education and about creating opportunities for young people and about an environment where young people can grow to be their best. That’s the first thing we start with, with any of our coaches and support people around the staff,” he said."

I wish they were just bumps but they are mountains

My problem is that if we are hedging our football program on being competitive with Kentucky, we are no longer committed to being a winning program. His fate should be sealed by now. We have no way of knowing if Currie is working behind the scenes, but if he isn't we are committed to being middle of the pack athletically in the SEC.

I agree with one thought....we have no way of knowing. I'm amazed at the number of posts condemning Currie for not simply reacting and firing him after the last several games as hoped for by this fan base. When it doesn't come as per their wishes, they assume Currie doesn't give a damn, UT is too cheap, etc. Just a lot of ignorance on display. Not directing this at you. Just using your comment to make a point. Fans need to realize there are contract and monetary issues. There are assistants and their families. There are players and their families who, believe it or not, are still fully invested in this season...game by game. They still have a chance to make a bowl. Odds are long, but there's my son played D1 so I know how much work goes into getting ready for a season and for most of these players, they get 4 short years and their football careers are over. Most will not see the NFL. Currie is trying to do what's best for UT, the players, and the staff. There's a lot more to this move than implied by these rash calls to fire his ass and not let him get on the plane. Butch isn't some evil scumbag. He's a human being with friends and family. He's done a lot of good here. He took a dumpster fire when so many others said no. Does he not deserve every chance to get this back on track? Does the fan hatred run that deep that he doesn't get the courtesy of a shot at it? What about the players? Should they roll over and quit on the season? I'm not his biggest fan and personally believe time for a change has come, but I trust Currie to do what's right and in the best interests of all concerned when the time is right. I applaud him for being tempered and measured in the process. I know if I were looking at the UT job, I'd feel a helluva lot better seeing a future boss behaving like this and giving the coach support and every opportunity vs a reactionary who pulls the trigger the moment we hit a rough stretch....as every team outside of Tuscaloosa seems to do. Every good/great coach has "those" seasons. And let's not forget, the coaching fraternity is small and they do talk. No one wants to leave a situation where they're appreciated and work for a good AD for a program in turmoil where the natives call for your head at the slightest downturn. To hell with that and the argument you can just break the bank and anyone can be bought. It's not that way anymore. When you start talking this kind of money, security, happiness and quality of life for you AND your family takes on a greater priority.

Look, We aren't getting Gruden or Kelly. Any guy we can get is currently in the middle of a fine season. I would not want a man who is actively seeking another job instead of being totally focused and committed to his team and winning. I don't really care about recruiting. We've been very successful according to the rankings and it hasn't really made a difference. This program needs a great hire if change comes. Until we get that "right man for this job" nothing else matters. Do this the right way, at the right time and everything else will fall into place. Until proven wrong, I trust Currie to do just that. Hell, he's been on the job less than a year and already folks want him fired! Incredible. And so far, I like all the moves he's made. Let the season play out and the men we've hired do the jobs they were hired to do. Folks need to stop with the Currie doesn't care garbage. It's ignorant and silly.

Jones is in to his 5th season as a head coach. The stats don't lie. He's 3-12 against Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. And I believe his record against the SEC stands at 14-22. I think the main problem is the UT Administration is no longer committed to winning. With the meddling/assistance of the Haslam's nothing will continue to change.

It will change if Currie isn’t like the rest and will not be swayed by donors money. It will change if Currie makes a ballsy move and does what he feels is best anyway. Step up to the plate and swing.....

VN Store

Back