Youch - Luke, Odom and Morris all fired this season...

IMO Luke was a multifaceted "win" hire for both him and the University. It bridges the gap with sanctions, adds a bit of stability, appeases Alumni as he is one, and it was essentially a multi year interim coach. If he was wildly successful, great, if not, it checks all of the other boxes. I think the player walking in the end zone lifting his leg like he was pissing after scoring a TD, for which the ensuing personnel foul essentially lost then the Egg Bowl this year, was the straw that broke the camels back... JMO...

I agree that he was a stop gap for Ole Miss. The thing I don't understand is, unless they have Norvell lined up, why now? Is it that so many openings were available that they had to make a move?

Seems to me there are a lot of solid HC candidates this year. I think they noticed some recruits leaving and a program heading down to close the season. 5-7 followed by 4-8 a season doesn't cut it in the SEC these days. Norvell would be an easy pick with knowledge of the recruiting base. I could see him land at Mizzou or OM for the same reasons... Likely not a big enough name for FSU after they spent buku firing Taggart...

Glad we are not in this mess. Loving the turnaround Pruitt and staff accomplished with our program. The best is yet to come I think. GBO!!!

So what's the bigger surprise Who was fired or who wasn't fired?

CJP had the hottest coaching seat through mid-October. Nuff said about that. As long as JG doesn't have his 12th OC while at Tennessee next season we should be alright, tough schedule and all.

Stoops also had a warm coaching seat after that terrible spanking by SCAR. They too rebounded, except for Tennessee game! Now he is a potential candidate for other schools like FSU.

I still think Mason is about as good as you can get at Vandy. But they regressed way more than the talent turnover...especially his specialty, Defense. Their QB situation was abysmal. The one guy who started Mizzou game was the only promising one and he got hurt rather quickly.

Muschamp could be fired but that schedule was brutal. Still they blew it against NC, a good App State team while destroying Kentucky, and having one of the biggest upsets of the year with road victory over Georgia. Someone had mentioned poor S&C leading to injuries ala butch.

Moorehead came real close to getting canned as well but MissSt closed out with just enough wins to be bowl eligible. Next year will be his make or break.

I saw some real progress with Ole Miss under Matt Luke and they are returning some firepower. Now that defense...yikes! Maybe just a new DC was in order or an emphasis on the recruiting trail. But in all fairness, they did have to play bama and LSU offenses.

It would have been better for Mizzou to have fired Dooley and not Odem and whole staff. The AD mentioned declining ticket sales which is weak. I guarantee you buyouts and new coaching staff will be way more costly than ticket sales falling 5%.

Morris appeared to be a good choice but he just couldn't get the recruits out of Texas despite coming from SMU. I do believe SMU is a lot better this year so maybe his recruits there are starting to shine. Morris was changing from Belima's Wisconsin style run offense to a spread. They had 3 times as many transfers as Tennessee the last two years and he could never find a good starting QB despite that being his specialty.

Despite the euphoria, many still want Malzahn out at Auburn but there is a $27 million buyout. If Arky offers him, they may do Auburn a favor and relieve Gus of the stress and allow him back near his family in Arky. Oh and Auburn almost always follows up a good season with a disappointing one...so next year...not so good!

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Would rather have Kiffin at Arkansas than Missouri. Could he end up at FSU?

That's the main reason I would want Kiffin in Tallahassee... just to wreak misery on the Gators.

Not a who—just another slang way of saying "Ouch". Like, "ouch", another coach got fired. A better description is to say it is a combination of Yow (used to express excitement, joy, or surprise) and Ouch. I also should have put an exclamation mark after Youch.

UTSA also fired their coach Frank Wilson who had come from LSU. It was his 4th year & he had a contract thru 2021 & was the highest paid coach in Conference USA. Win or out you go.

Kiffin at Missouri is a lot scarier to me than Kiffin at Arkansas. Arkansas really seems like the place careers go to die. The only coach that may have some success at Arkansas is Norvell just because he already has a lock on that Memphis market but I have to think the ceiling there is about 7 or 8 wins. Missouri on the other hand has that St. Louis market to pull from and there is some talent there.

Kiffin at Missouri is a lot scarier to me than Kiffin at Arkansas. Arkansas really seems like the place careers go to die. The only coach that may have some success at Arkansas is Norvell just because he already has a lock on that Memphis market but I have to think the ceiling there is about 7 or 8 wins. Missouri on the other hand has that St. Louis market to pull from and there is some talent there.
Johnny Majors was an assistant there before he became a Head Coach at Iowa, and Lou Holtz was Head Coach there before his stint at Notre Dame. . . .

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Arkansas has always been a sh*% show but for the past 20 years they have struggled mightily for relevance. Looking at the SEC West they are always going to be, at best the 4th best team. If the West takes a nose dive like the East did over the past decade they have a chance but that does not seem to be in the cards. (BTW, the East is roaring back, mark my words!).

Reactions: VolDave53
Dooley was the Least of Mizzou issue. Dooley was fine when he had a QB....Odom recruited No one in the 3 years he had Lock.

Mizzou could hire McElwain,Fritz,Dirkwitz,Clark and few others. I doubt Kiffen is in the running or even Leach they wouldn't fit in with the Administrators.

So what's the bigger surprise Who was fired or who wasn't fired?

CJP had the hottest coaching seat through mid-October. Nuff said about that. As long as JG doesn't have his 12th OC while at Tennessee next season we should be alright, tough schedule and all.

Stoops also had a warm coaching seat after that terrible spanking by SCAR. They too rebounded, except for Tennessee game! Now he is a potential candidate for other schools like FSU.

I still think Mason is about as good as you can get at Vandy. But they regressed way more than the talent turnover...especially his specialty, Defense. Their QB situation was abysmal. The one guy who started Mizzou game was the only promising one and he got hurt rather quickly.

Muschamp could be fired but that schedule was brutal. Still they blew it against NC, a good App State team while destroying Kentucky, and having one of the biggest upsets of the year with road victory over Georgia. Someone had mentioned poor S&C leading to injuries ala butch.

Moorehead came real close to getting canned as well but MissSt closed out with just enough wins to be bowl eligible. Next year will be his make or break.

I saw some real progress with Ole Miss under Matt Luke and they are returning some firepower. Now that defense...yikes! Maybe just a new DC was in order or an emphasis on the recruiting trail. But in all fairness, they did have to play bama and LSU offenses.

It would have been better for Mizzou to have fired Dooley and not Odem and whole staff. The AD mentioned declining ticket sales which is weak. I guarantee you buyouts and new coaching staff will be way more costly than ticket sales falling 5%.

Morris appeared to be a good choice but he just couldn't get the recruits out of Texas despite coming from SMU. I do believe SMU is a lot better this year so maybe his recruits there are starting to shine. Morris was changing from Belima's Wisconsin style run offense to a spread. They had 3 times as many transfers as Tennessee the last two years and he could never find a good starting QB despite that being his specialty.

Despite the euphoria, many still want Malzahn out at Auburn but there is a $27 million buyout. If Arky offers him, they may do Auburn a favor and relieve Gus of the stress and allow him back near his family in Arky. Oh and Auburn almost always follows up a good season with a disappointing one...so next year...not so good!
You're right Mason is about as good as Vandy will get. He's taken them to 2 bowl games in 6 years. Bobby Johnson took them to 1 bowl in 8 years and the fans there seemed to love him.

Morris just simply did not have enough time at Arkansas. It's quite possible Bielema didn't leave that program in good shape for someone to take over.

VN Store

Back