You know,when Barnes was first hired

I didn't think Barnes was washed up and knew he would be a quality coach. However, I was like most and wanted Pearl back. Now, I am sure the entire fan base who wanted back Pearl is glad they didn't get what they wanted. I know I am! Barnes has proven he can coach circles around Pearl. Barnes just needs to improve on the recruiting trail. Just think about how he could develop more elite players instead of just great ones. He has coached up every player on the roster tremendously and has done far more than almost all of us ever thought he would do. I agree. Barnes deserves several standing ovations and lots more money. Pay that man his money!!! =)
Yes,i see a National Championship in our future,What a night that would be

I had no idea how he would do...just like any coach we hire...I hope for the best and see what happens...Coach B seems to be enjoying the ride too...:D

GO VOLS!

One step at a time, for sure, but Barnes knows his stuff. Am just enjoying the ride with these guys. The business like approach to UGA, when I thought it could be a tough outing, is making me believe they've really got the killer instinct with an underdog mentality...that, if we carry thru the year, will take us deep in the tourney.

I think Barnes' biggest challenge will be continuing the culture when Admiral, Grant and Alexander leave. I think he'll continue to excel, but just like Villanova this year is struggling, think we may take a temporary step back while he builds back up and finds the next players who will take the team and put it on their backs like Admiral and Grant. All of this is good, and think Barnes has ability now to pick players who fit his culture...but possibly at a higher level of talent. Barnes talks about Tennessee really being a great basketball state...would be awesome to see us unseed KY from the top of the SEC pecking order over a number of years!

Reactions: tennrich1
He is definitely coaching up the boys. Great coach, I did not know a ton about him while he was down in Texas, but he is a GREAT COACH. Glad he is our coach.

He’s a great coach, Tennessee is lucky to have him. More imporatantly, from everything I’ve read, as great of a coach as he is, he’s also a great man.

Rick Barnes was 100% exactly what the Vols needed. Whether I knew that at the time or not means very little to me today. I’m just thrilled he’s here now.

I liked the hire because Barnes had heavy experience and measurable success for the job he was being hired to do. I wish the administration would use the same criteria for other coaches hired, like football, women's basketball, ect.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I thought great,a washed up coach looking for a place to ride it out till retirement,boy was i wrong.I'm sorry coach,keep up the great work.
I like you (and many others) are guilty. Just glad to see someone with enough guts to "post this first".

He is definitely coaching up the boys. Great coach, I did not know a ton about him while he was down in Texas, but he is a GREAT COACH. Glad he is our coach.
I think we didn't know him was because he is not flashy enough, was buried way down in football country (unlike Duke and some others) and last but not least, he projects no "flash" that the media loves so much. He just goes to work, like he expects and gets from his players.

I thought great,a washed up coach looking for a place to ride it out till retirement,boy was i wrong.I'm sorry coach,keep up the great work.
Sounds familiar with all of the hand wringing over Pruitt and the OC search. The Chicken Littles don't realize it will take a while to recruit great players after 2 losing seasons and find an OC willing to run Pruitt's offensive system to compliment his defense. It took Barnes a couple of seasons to get his kind of players in place to run his system.

I was wrong. Let me first say that. I never thought we would have a top 5 team at UT while Barnes was here.

Now I’m also gonna defend my point in two ways. One, I thought he could get us back in the tourney and make it mostly annual and I think I said that but saw little upside in the hire. I thought a lot of 20-10 seasons and getting in as 7-8-9-10 seeds. But he changed everything completely. How he coaches, his recruiting profile. Like @calban said he changed who and how he recruits. He switched roles becoming more teacher than anything and letting his fantastic coaching staff work on recruiting and and gameplan and let Barnes do his best work on the court.

Now, this year I gotta see tourney results. I think anything less than a EE with this squad will be disappointing. And that’s still my biggest fear with him. Change he change the last 15 years of his teama disappointing in the tourney? That’s gonna be the big question. I think he can.

If only more people could admit they are wrong, change and be forgiven :)

That was harsh, I didn't need to post it. It's still hackneyed though...

I'll pat myself on the back and say that Barnes was my #1 choice when he became available, and I was cautiously optimistic about his potential in a better shade of orange.

While it was probably a bit harsh, I can understand why you made the post.

Believe it or not, Walker looks like a future team leader. That's based on his interactions with his teammates rather than his on-court performance. He's having a sophomore slump, but he's always engaged. DJ Burns has that look as well. He always has a big smile on, even though he's not participating. Fulkerson will be another future leader from the current roster.

I think Barnes' biggest challenge will be continuing the culture when Admiral, Grant and Alexander leave. I think he'll continue to excel, but just like Villanova this year is struggling, think we may take a temporary step back while he builds back up and finds the next players who will take the team and put it on their backs like Admiral and Grant. All of this is good, and think Barnes has ability now to pick players who fit his culture...but possibly at a higher level of talent.

I thought he was probably "used goods" but still pretty solid with great character. With our dumpster fire situation I considered it a 5* hire though. When the I star gazed the 1st couple classes and saw nobody drop in from the Texas area early, I thought he might be out of touch. His coaching success has been great. His mentoring and program leadership is even better! He was out of touch with everything except coach big time CBB it appears!

I was wrong. Let me first say that. I never thought we would have a top 5 team at UT while Barnes was here.

Now I’m also gonna defend my point in two ways. One, I thought he could get us back in the tourney and make it mostly annual and I think I said that but saw little upside in the hire. I thought a lot of 20-10 seasons and getting in as 7-8-9-10 seeds. But he changed everything completely. How he coaches, his recruiting profile. Like @calban said he changed who and how he recruits. He switched roles becoming more teacher than anything and letting his fantastic coaching staff work on recruiting and and gameplan and let Barnes do his best work on the court.

Now, this year I gotta see tourney results. I think anything less than a EE with this squad will be disappointing. And that’s still my biggest fear with him. Change he change the last 15 years of his teama disappointing in the tourney? That’s gonna be the big question. I think he can.

I will accept a 1 or 2 seed as complete success. The NCAA tournament is 50% luck, ask Virginia. Any team that gets hot can knock you out. That being said, if we don't make the final 4 with this team its doubtful we ever will.

Any major coaching hire comes with risks. Do the have the passion/work ethic or are they going to rest on their laurels. Are the the right fit demographically. Do they get the right breaks (recruits that come here and pan out). For whatever reason we've been incredibly unlucky across multiple sports. Thank the lord we got one right. Rick Barnes is an all world coach. Hopefully he has the energy to make a long run here. A lot of basketball coaches stay at it for a long time. And next to coach cal, there aren't a lot of juggernauts he'll have to face year in and year out. He could stay here and absolutely dominate for years.

I recall saying bad things to ya for which I apologize. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong about things like this. sure feels good now. And also hoping his success extends thru March.

I recall saying bad things to ya for which I apologize. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong about things like this. sure feels good now. And also hoping his success extends thru March.

I came on too strong about my feelings toward the hire but that was more my frustration about the athletic department as a whole than Barnes himself.

VN Store

Back