You know,when Barnes was first hired

Don’t chide someone for being a fan and expressing their opinion, that’s bush league.
That was harsh, I didn't need to post it. It's still hackneyed though...

I'll pat myself on the back and say that Barnes was my #1 choice when he became available, and I was cautiously optimistic about his potential in a better shade of orange.

I was pretty skeptical when he was hired because of his firing at Texas. Definitely not skeptical anymore.

I was ecstatic when we hired him, but thought the 1 and dones would rush to our door to play for him. Have to admit I was questioning his ability to recruit here after a couple of seasons. No complaints now. this guy's got his jaw set on adding a couple of NCs to his res before he hangs it up. I think he'll coach as long as it's fun and he seems to be having plenty of that.

I thought great,a washed up coach looking for a place to ride it out till retirement,boy was i wrong.I'm sorry coach,keep up the great work.

I didn't think Barnes was washed up and knew he would be a quality coach. However, I was like most and wanted Pearl back. Now, I am sure the entire fan base who wanted back Pearl is glad they didn't get what they wanted. I know I am! Barnes has proven he can coach circles around Pearl. Barnes just needs to improve on the recruiting trail. Just think about how he could develop more elite players instead of just great ones. He has coached up every player on the roster tremendously and has done far more than almost all of us ever thought he would do. I agree. Barnes deserves several standing ovations and lots more money. Pay that man his money!!! =)

I thought he was the perfect hire after Bruce, Cuonzo, and ButterBean left TN's basketball program a blazing pile of poo. Then I fought practically everybody on this board for the next 2 and a half years over the hire and recruiting effort.

Remember the he's earned the right to not head out on the road recruiting comment? So much butt hurt in the BBF over that one. Then there were the complaints that he was throwing his players under the bus after losses.

I thought he was the perfect hire after Bruce, Cuonzo, and ButterBean left TN's basketball program a blazing pile of poo. Then I fought practically everybody on this board for the next 2 and a half years over the hire and recruiting effort.

Remember the he's earned the right to not head out on the road recruiting comment? So much butt hurt in the BBF over that one. Then there were the complaints that he was throwing his players under the bus after losses.
I was even complaining when he let guys like McGhee, the other one whose name escapes me who went to Iowa State and Mostella leave. Now I see his genius at building team chemistry and allowing the dead wood and bad attitudes to go their own way. Ding ding ding: Kasango

Last edited:
Reactions: morristown vol
I was even complaining when he let guys like McGhee, the other one whose name escapes me who went to Iowa State and Mostella leave. Now I see his genius at building team chemistry and allowing the dead wood and bad attitudes to go their own way.

I wasn't thrilled when Mostella, Phillips, and Kwe Parker exited. Kasongo's departure didn't bother me. I was sorry to see McGhee leave, but after AD's trashing of CRB I see it was probably best that he's gone.

IIRC, AD said that Barnes didn't want Jabari to leave. But that was likely partly because he did it in the middle of the season.

I wonder if Tariq Owens and Willie Carmichael regret their decisions.

I wasn't thrilled when Mostella, Phillips, and Kwe Parker exited. Kasongo's departure didn't bother me. I was sorry to see McGhee leave, but after AD's trashing of CRB I see it was probably best that he's gone.
Mother hen protecting her nephew and reacting to some of the slurs being laid on him when he left. Don't think she really meant any of that, just reaction.

Mother hen protecting her nephew and reacting to some of the slurs being laid on him when he left. Don't think she really meant any of that, just reaction.

Unless I'm mixing some of it up with Kasongor, seems like she said Barnes had lied to them. I never believed that... he's too smart to flat out lie. I'd say if there was a disagreement it was them misinterpreting something said. Barnes is very careful with his comments. I can't imagine him feeding his players a bunch of BS. Might have been Kasongor. All the posts should be out there if anybody cares. I don't. Barnes is doing great as is Jabari at Peay.

IIRC, AD said that Barnes didn't want Jabari to leave. But that was likely partly because he did it in the middle of the season.

I wonder if Tariq Owens and Willie Carmichael regret their decisions.
Speaks a lot about the kind of kids he's recruiting. Don't think you'll see many or even any one and dones. He lays it on the line from the start. You won't be treated special, you'll earn your spot like everyone else and have to be able to handle criticism and hard coaching. I'd lay money, our 5 star James will be more than a 1 year player.

Speaks a lot about the kind of kids he's recruiting. Don't think you'll see many or even any one and dones. He lays it on the line from the start. You won't be treated special, you'll earn your spot like everyone else and have to be able to handle criticism and hard coaching. I'd lay money, our 5 star James will be more than a 1 year player.

In defense of the players that left, Barnes was brand new here and the hard coaching was probably difficult to understand. They likely questioned a retread getting hired as well. I know that when I was that age I thought that I knew everything.

In defense of the players that left, Barnes was brand new here and the hard coaching was probably difficult to understand. They likely questioned a retread getting hired as well. I know that when I was that age I thought that I knew everything.
Wasn't kasongo the only one of his recruits that left? Don't remember on parker. Most were Tyndall's.

Wasn't kasongo the only one of his recruits that left? Don't remember on parker. Most were Tyndall's.

I believe that's accurate. Kwe might have been CRB's guy as well... maybe he had to be convinced by Barnes to stay committed. Shembari possibly also... I can't remember. Of course Tariq, Jabari, Mostella, and Carmichael played for Donnie.

VN Store

Back