You get what you pay for.

We’ve never made a concerted effort. In fact, we’re so secretive about it we never actually know who we offered, out of the fear of being publicly spurned. Bama publicly offered the job to Saban 7 times. He turned them down 6 times.

I’m not saying that our Saban is out there, or that we should even be looking, only that we’ve never targeted someone and refused to take NO for an answer. The finances have be there previously...whether they are now is debatable. But we’ve never actually swung for the fences to make a program changing hire.

Gruden was chased with money. We threw the cow at Gundy twice.

For the first time in ages, we have an AD that isn’t using money as an excuse to make upgrades to the program and other sports such as Basketball and Baseball. If we wind up moving on from Pruitt, money will not be an issue under Phil.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The best we can hope for if Pruitt goes 3-9 or worse is that Fulmer can somehow convince his lifetime friend Cutcliffe to come to UT and stabilize the program. Cut might have 4-5 years left and he probably would not take the gig due to his heart. He's happy at Duke with no actual expectations... but that's about the best we can hope for.

Or, more realistically, people will defend going 3-9 in Year 2 for a litany of reasons up to and including Global Warming, Re-Re-Re-Rise of the Taliban, Economic Anxiety and Millennials Ruining UT Football (because back IN my DAY we SUPPORTED our TEAM even when THEY QUIT against a sunbelt TEAM).

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Gruden was chased with money. We threw the cow at Gundy twice.

For the first time in ages, we have an AD that isn’t using money as an excuse to make upgrades to the program and other sports such as Basketball and Baseball. If we wind up moving on from Pruitt, money will not be an issue under Phil.
We’ve never targeted and pursued THE ONE, as Bama did with Saban. I was the biggest Grudenite here, but even our efforts on that front were undermined by infighting and no consensus. It was a fiasco. The Gundy overtures were just that, and both times short lived. I’m in commercial sales...and one thing I know is that NO is not always the final word.

Bama, from the top down, was in one accord about getting their guy. They did not give up, and finally got their man. By any measure it was a sound financial decision to do so.

I hope Phil and a lot of fans start to embrace modern football. It was Urban Myer and his modern offense that drilled Phil's eyes out while at Florida. This was a big reason he was fired. A good coach doesn't have to be from the saban coaching tree or from the south to be a good coach. There were more proven HC candidates that were willing to take the job.

We’ve never targeted and pursued THE ONE, as Bama did with Saban. I was the biggest Grudenite here, but even our efforts on that front were undermined by infighting and no consensus. It was a fiasco. The Gundy overtures were just that, and both times short lived. I’m in commercial sales...and one thing I know is that NO is not always the final word.

Bama, from the top down, was in one accord about getting their guy. They did not give up, and finally got their man. By any measure it was a sound financial decision to do so.

Basically booster Egos......

I hope Phil and a lot of fans start to embrace modern football. It was Urban Myer and his modern offense that drilled Phil's eyes out while at Florida. This was a big reason he was fired. A good coach doesn't have to be from the saban coaching tree or from the south to be a good coach. There were more proven HC candidates that were willing to take the job.
I think we’d embrace anyone that could come in, compete, and eventually win at a high level.

I hated Butch Jones, but my proudest moments during his era was when we competed so valiantly with Oklahoma and Texas A&M....both highly ranked at the time. We lost, but we looked like we belonged in those type of games. We’ve rarely seen that in the last decade...at least on a regular basis.

I just want to compete, and see constant improvement until we are where we need to be. I don’t see that right now, and one would think you would 14 games and 2 off-seasons in.

I think we’d embrace anyone that could come in, compete, and eventually win at a high level.

I hated Butch Jones, but my proudest moments during his era was when we competed so valiantly with Oklahoma and Texas A&M....both highly ranked at the time. We lost, but we looked like we belonged in those type of games. We’ve rarely seen that in the last decade...at least on a regular basis.

I just want to compete, and see constant improvement until we are where we need to be. I don’t see that right now, and one would think you would 14 games and 2 off-seasons in.
I'm with you, if Pruitt can pull off 6 wins, we may have our guy. I just don't see it possible at this point.

Last edited:
Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero division championships
Zero top 20 finishes
Five soon (soon to be six) losing seasons
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Tier Three - Well Hit Doubles

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Tier Four - Better Than Pruitt
Joe Moorhead (might move up a tier if he wins 8+ again this year)
Bronco Mendenhall (moves up a tier with a top 25 finish this year)
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio
You are just playing with my heart causing me to dream of coaches like Myer, Stoops or Patterson.

Basically booster Egos......

From what I understand a lot of boosters lacked faith after Hamilton/Hart/Currie and would only really donate large sums in construction (especially if it was routed to construction firms they had vested interest in).

Fulmer can definitely bring Thornton back to the table and is probably our best chance at AD to control the Haslems. Especially if a case can be made that a quality football program can elevate and benefit academics (see: Alabama, Clemson and others), we could potentially get Kao (Garmin founder & CEO) and Charlie Ergen to the table. To this point, AFAIK, Kao and Ergen are only academic donors.

How bout this.
We hire Dale Jones as DC
Make Tee OC
And beg Peyton to be Head Coach til we get back on sound footing.
At least we’d have 3 guys who love the Vols running our program.

Why does Tennessee's fanbase have such a great number of apologists? Do they not know that Tennessee has been historically a college football powerhouse? Do they not think we deserve a top tier coach?

It's easier to tear down and deningrate the program and fan base than to try and explain how UT loses to GA St or has lost 5 of 7 to Vanderbilt.

The fan base has been sold a bill of goods on the coaching hires for over a decade now on whichever overmatched and underqualified guy they bring in as being the latest savior in a head set.

You spent a lot of time on a bunch of nothing.

Amen......what is the point here? people just like living in the negative to have something to talk about other than their own lives. They can't change anything, they have this overwhelming sense of entitlement, and they live in a world of envy because other schools are doing well, but UT. I can't imagine the stress level that some fans put on themselves. This was a lot of work to keep a wound open, I guess he can sit back and say "look at what I wrote" ......got news, your part the problem not the solution

Reactions: BigBadVol
Urb

Urban Myer called Tennessee a top 10 job after we lost to BYU. Pretty much stated that the problem is coaching and people hiring coaches. Stated that we had everything here to be successful.

Urb is the new Gruden.

Why does Tennessee's fanbase have such a great number of apologists? Do they not know that Tennessee has been historically a college football powerhouse? Do they not think we deserve a top tier coach?

Our head coach, in year two, is the 5th highest paid coach of 14 SEC schools.

Our assistant coaches and strength coach are paid at top rates in the country.

You utter dolt.

Our head coach, in year two, is the 5th highest paid coach of 14 SEC schools.

Our assistant coaches and strength coach are paid at top rates in the country.

You utter dolt.
What's the point of this comment? It makes no sense as a reply to what you quoted. If you're mad that it's critical of Pruitt, carry on.

Nice analysis but it’s a dream. JP ain’t going anywhere till at least after next year and probably not even then. None of those guys listed would come to a dumpster fire.

VN Store

Back