You get what you pay for.

Why does Tennessee's fanbase have such a great number of apologists? Do they not know that Tennessee has been historically a college football powerhouse? Do they not think we deserve a top tier coach?
Sure we do. But what top tier coach is going to come here with the historical spending habits of our school outside of late?

We have thrown tons of money around at guys to be turned down......

Is Tennessee capable of going out tomorrow and offering anyone a 10 million dollar per year deal to come coach? 100%

What are the odds of the boosters coming together and putting egos aside to make that a reality? Zero.

Reactions: tennvols77
Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero division championships
Zero top 20 finishes
Five soon (soon to be six) losing seasons
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Tier Three - Well Hit Doubles

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Tier Four - Better Than Pruitt
Joe Moorhead (might move up a tier if he wins 8+ again this year)
Bronco Mendenhall (moves up a tier with a top 25 finish this year)
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio
Don't disagree, but we clearly were not in a position of endearment among coaches to consider taking this job. One thing I will give Fulmer...AND Pruitt credit for, is that Pruitt's pitch wasn't really about him being over paid, but that UTAD/Fulmer needed to support Pruitt on opening up the pocketbook for assistants. Don't think anyone can argue that we've done this...I think our assistant pool is one of highest paid in SEC. At the end of the day, player development happens with their position coaches. This is one thing that gives me hope... If you remember, one thing we heard in rumors w/ Butch is that AD wouldn't let him spend money on assistants, and we get guys like Scott...so, that has changed in a big way. Granted, we've not gotten our money's worth out of them yet...

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
Urb
Our best shot at one of the names on the OPs list is actually for Pruitt to be successful, build a good foundation, then leave for another program. THEN I could see a more proven coach actually giving us a look
Urban Myer called Tennessee a top 10 job after we lost to BYU. Pretty much stated that the problem is coaching and people hiring coaches. Stated that we had everything here to be successful.

Sure we do. But what top tier coach is going to come here with the historical spending habits of our school outside of late?

Is Tennessee capable of going out tomorrow and offering anyone a 10 million dollar per year deal to come coach? 100%

What are the odds of the boosters coming together and putting egos aside to make that a reality? Zero.
There are more proven coaches that would've taken the job. We passed on them. As far as boosters go, I think our boosters have the lowest football IQ of any around. That's a problem that's not easily fixable.

Urb

Urban Myer called Tennessee a top 10 job after we lost to BYU. Pretty much stated that the problem is coaching and people hiring coaches. Stated that we had everything here to be successful.

I think he was talking about the "Coaching and people hiring coaches" being the old group of yahoos who were made up of Hamilton, Hart, Currie and Haslam folks.

I would believe the "Phil is handicapping" conspiracy theory, but it doesn't make sense.

He gave Pruitt big money to go make staff upgrades. If Pruitt came to him tomorrow and said he needs more money to replace Will Friend ( a major staff upgrade by the way), he'd do it.

Phil just forked over a crap ton of money for Rick Barnes and look what Barnes is building.

Phil also made a great move in extended Vitello....

I think there has been a major culture / money mindset in the AD and BOT and Admin for a super long time. I don't think that is necessarily the case now.

There are more proven coaches that would've taken the job. We passed on them. As far as boosters go, I think our boosters have the lowest football IQ of any around. That's a problem that's not easily fixable.

Name the coaches then that were going to take the job when Butch got fired.

The only one I think we should have forked over the castle to and make it where he could refuse to wait on what Florida does is Dan Mullen because it would have been a package deal with Todd Grantham at DC.

I think he was talking about the "Coaching and people hiring coaches" being the old group of yahoos who were made up of Hamilton, Hart, Currie and Haslam folks.

I would believe the "Phil is handicapping" conspiracy theory, but it doesn't make sense.

He gave Pruitt big money to go make staff upgrades. If Pruitt came to him tomorrow and said he needs more money to replace Will Friend ( a major staff upgrade by the way), he'd do it.

Phil just forked over a crap ton of money for Rick Barnes and look what Barnes is building.

Phil also made a great move in extended Vitello....

I think there has been a major culture / money mindset in the AD and BOT and Admin for a super long time. I don't think that is necessarily the case now.
Phil made a good move on Barnes and he deserves kudos for that. I don't know how much power he has as far as hiring a football coach.

Phil made a good move on Barnes and he deserves kudos for that. I don't know how much power he has as far as hiring a football coach.

Phil had to give signoff to spend the money to get Chaney, Ansley, and Tee.

Turning this mess around in a blink
Winning the SEC in year 1
Etc.

Because anyone has ever said anything close to winning the SEC in year 1.

We could take your arguments for keeping a coach more seriously if you didn’t exaggerate to the point of absurdity.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Wrong. I would've been happy with 7 wins this season. I think most would.

Lol. There was a loud bunch pumping 8-10 wins like clowns. Coincidentally, those same people are the ones yelling the sky is falling

I did not do as much "analyzing" as you, but the little I know, the coaches above did not try to rebuild a program in the SEC in today's world.
The majority of the listed coaches are in programs that were somewhat conducive to a rebuild.

Any established coach would find it extremely difficult to rebuild a struggling, irrelevant football team into the powerhouse program most of these fans want.
The SEC is the strongest conference with the best coaches in the country. There could be one or two of those listed above that could possibly compete after 3-4 years, but that is not a given.

Why would an established winning coach come to UT, which is an irrelevant football school, just to go against the likes of Saban, Smart, etc, knowing the deck is stacked against him from the beginning?

And where a large segment of the fan base will demand you be fired if your first two seasons don't meet their expectations.

Lol. There was a loud bunch pumping 8-10 wins like clowns. Coincidentally, those same people are the ones yelling the sky is falling
I hoped for 7 but was predicting 6. Now, I think the ceiling is 3. If he turns it around and wins 6-7 games, we may have our guy. I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I hoped for 7 but was predicting 6. Now, I think the ceiling is 3. If he turns it around and wins 6-7 games, we may have our guy. I just don't see it happening.

I’m staying away from predictions but I don’t see a 3 win season. I really don’t.

Why does Tennessee's fanbase have such a great number of apologists? Do they not know that Tennessee has been historically a college football powerhouse? Do they not think we deserve a top tier coach?
We’ve lost an entire generation that has never known a high level of success out of this football program. The stories of the 90’s are mythical and from another age. The ongoing decade of misery has reshaped peoples expectations of what is normal for this storied program. Combine this with the fact that so many of our fans are “sidewalk” fans (not a knock on them, just a fact) who never attended the University and it seems that we really have no sense of ourself....who we are, who we’ve been, and who we should be.

Reactions: tennvols77
Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero division championships
Zero top 20 finishes
Five soon (soon to be six) losing seasons
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Tier Three - Well Hit Doubles

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Tier Four - Better Than Pruitt
Joe Moorhead (might move up a tier if he wins 8+ again this year)
Bronco Mendenhall (moves up a tier with a top 25 finish this year)
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

I lost more brain cells reading this than watching an episode of Bachelor in Paradise. So you actually think that a coaching search right now would go better than the last 2 that UT endured?!?! Remember how badly every coach in America wanted the UT job but UT just insisted on the cheap route. Stay up there in the clouds, man. It’s really tough down here in reality.

We’ve never made a concerted effort. In fact, we’re so secretive about it we never actually know who we offered, out of the fear of being publicly spurned. Bama publicly offered the job to Saban 7 times. He turned them down 6 times.

I’m not saying that our Saban is out there, or that we should even be looking, only that we’ve never targeted someone and refused to take NO for an answer. The finances have be there previously...whether they are now is debatable. But we’ve never actually swung for the fences to make a program changing hire.

VN Store

Back