You get what you pay for.

SMU Vol

Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero division championships
Zero top 20 finishes
Five soon (soon to be six) losing seasons
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Tier Three - Well Hit Doubles

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Tier Four - Better Than Pruitt
Joe Moorhead (might move up a tier if he wins 8+ again this year)
Bronco Mendenhall (moves up a tier with a top 25 finish this year)
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

Impressive post I appreciate op putting this together however I disagree with the original point of parting with Pruitt so fast. I believe heads may be butting a bit between the AD and the coach which will soon be worked out

I did not do as much "analyzing" as you, but the little I know, the coaches above did not try to rebuild a program in the SEC in today's world.
The majority of the listed coaches are in programs that were somewhat conducive to a rebuild.

Any established coach would find it extremely difficult to rebuild a struggling, irrelevant football team into the powerhouse program most of these fans want.
The SEC is the strongest conference with the best coaches in the country. There could be one or two of those listed above that could possibly compete after 3-4 years, but that is not a given.

Why would an established winning coach come to UT, which is an irrelevant football school, just to go against the likes of Saban, Smart, etc, knowing the deck is stacked against him from the beginning?

Right now, if Pruitt wins 3 games he's safe. Going into season, I still think this team had talent to win 5-6 games, if we had Thompson and Bituli. Obviously Ga St loss is on CJP. So now new baseline is now 4-5 games. I never counted BYU as an automatic win.

I think the only way we get rid of Pruitt (if that’s what we’re inclined to do) is by actually JUST getting rid of him alone and retaining the majority of his staff.

It’s all an assumption but I’m guessing the buyout for the collective would be worse than his alone. At that point I’m not sure who would take the job without being able to bring their own guys.

However, on paper and past performance the staff is insanely talented and successful. That makes the question:

“What available head coach would fit and want this staff and coach in the SEC”

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Tennessee has gone cheap on its last three coaching hires over the past 10 seasons (dating back to Dooley) and the results are exactly what you’d expect:

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

My God, that’s depressing to type. During that time, we hired three coaches in Dooley, Butch and Pruitt with zero HC experience at the P5 level. Dooley and Butch were spectacular failures (Dooley much more so than Butch), and Pruitt appears to be the same. I see some people around here still defending Pruitt and saying to give him more time....NO. He needs to be gone after this year. He’s had two offseasons to instill his culture and put his mark on this program, and the result of that was getting dominated in the trenches by a 2-10 Sun Belt team and following that up with a embarrassing loss to BYU plagued with mental errors. He is NOT the guy, and the longer we keep him around, the longer we prolong the long road back to relevance. While it’s easy to spend other people’s money, I maintain it’s much more expensive to keep the wrong guy than splurge on hiring the right guy. If you don’t believe me, check out all the empty seats at Neyland for the rest of this season (except for the UGA game, which will probably be 1/3 Dawg fans, if not more). It’s beyond perplexing to me that Tennessee invests gobs of money into building spectacular football facilities and isn’t willing to hire a proven coach who can use those facilities to build an elite program.

We all wished for a guy like Gruden, and while he would’ve been awesome, it was never happening. But our failure to land a Gary Patterson or a Chris Peterson or a Dan Mullen or a Mike Gundy has us where we are today — a national laughingstock. Not only does Pruitt need to be canned in November, but he needs to be replaced with a proven P5 head coach. Don’t worry, I’ve made a list of candidates:

Tier One — Grand Slams

Urban Meyer - I find it hard to believe that his comment about UT being a top ten job last weekend wasn’t calculated, seeing as how he’s one of the most calculating people on the planet. Regardless of your thoughts on him personally, he’s a bona fide winner with three national championships to his name who would immediately have us in the Top 25 and competing for the CFP in year 2 or 3. He’s that good. He’ll turn 56 before next season and I think his “health issues” are BS — I can’t imagine he is actually done and never coaches again. Biggest issue would be we’d most assuredly be behind ND and USC on his wishlist if those jobs were to come open.

Bob Stoops - Another bona fide winner with “health issues,” although given what happened with his dad I do think he may actually be done for good. If not, he’d be an absolute dynamite hire who would immediately turn this program around. He’d be 60 next season.

Brian Kelly - I don’t think Kelly gets enough credit for what he’s done at ND. He transformed that program by going into SEC country and getting the type of guys you need to be competitive nationally. ND is a hard place to recruit compared to other national powers; the leash would be off at UT and I’d take him in a heartbeat. One negative — he’s a complete jackass, worse than Urban. It does seem like there’s rumblings about him and ND not being happy with each other every other year or so, and those rumblings could get louder if ND thinks they can get Urban.

Tier Two - Home Runs

Chris Petersen - Offensive mastermind and simply put one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to doing more with less. I don’t know if he’ll ever move his family from the west coast, and we’ve obviously been turned down by him before, but he’d be a home run hire nonetheless.

David Shaw - The last two years where Stanford has fallen off a bit don’t worry me; he’s another guy who’s won big at a place where it’s VERY hard to do so. I doubt he’d ever leave Stanford for another college job, though.

Gary Patterson - I don’t think he’s ever leaving TCU, but I’ve always wondered what he could do at an powerhouse program with elite facilities that can recruit with anyone, seeing as how he’s consistently whipped better programs with 3-star recruits for 10+ years. We really, really missed out here in 2009 or 2010 or whenever it was.

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

Not one of the names on this list would return a phone call to Fulmer unless they wanted a new deal at their current school

I did not do as much "analyzing" as you, but the little I know, the coaches above did not try to rebuild a program in the SEC in today's world.
The majority of the listed coaches are in programs that were somewhat conducive to a rebuild.

Any established coach would find it extremely difficult to rebuild a struggling, irrelevant football team into the powerhouse program most of these fans want.
The SEC is the strongest conference with the best coaches in the country. There could be one or two of those listed above that could possibly compete after 3-4 years, but that is not a given.

Why would an established winning coach come to UT, which is an irrelevant football school, just to go against the likes of Saban, Smart, etc, knowing the deck is stacked against him from the beginning?
This is why UT has become what they currently are--and likely will be for some time. We hire a coach who has a fairly predictable first year, most everybody has high hopes and are singing his praises. He loses his last two games of his first year and has a rough start to his second year, and out come the executioners. This is one of the main reasons we are where we are, in my opinion.

The guy who wrote social media is killing our program should definitely be including message boards. What coach would come to a job where he is given one year to turn around a diseased program before he starts having to deal with this crap?

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

Tier One — Grand Slams

Tier Two - Home Runs

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

Y’all to love to yell Fahr Pruitt yet go silent when asked if you’re gonna write that check to buy him out......

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

Tier One — Grand Slams

Tier Two - Home Runs

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

No one in your two top tiers are leaving their current jobs or getting back into coaching.

Reactions: JohnD13
Thanks for the post. CJP knows football, and yes, he's green as HC. But, he knows SEC talent and he's good at recruiting it. Worst case, he doesn't grow into the job as well as he had hoped but has the roster stacked with well trained talent in 3-4 years. In that case, if a decision needs to be made it is more likely a home run coach would be willing to take it from there. Best case, he continues up the learning curve, stacks the roster and we are competing for the conference championship and more every year.

Reactions: tennvols77
Time will tell, but seats will be empty starting this weekend. It is fine to take time to "rebuild"...however 2 things:
1) Rebuilding for 10+ years is not really rebuilding
2) after 10+ years of irrelevance, right or wrong, fans will not put up with much failure

Zero top 20 finishes
0-9 vs Alabama
1-8 vs Florida
2-7 vs Georgia
4-5 vs Vanderbilt

Tier One — Grand Slams

Tier Two - Home Runs

Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy
Matt Rhule
Kyle Whittingham
Bill O’Brien

Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Leach
Dave Doeren
Steve Addazio

Urban quit because of Saban
Bob hates the SEC
Kelly is a POS and I’d struggle to pull for Tennessee If he were hired

Chris Peterson is a west coast guy. He’s never going to do anything but work us for a raise

David Shaw has been much of anything since Luck

Gary Patterson while I think he’s a great coach he’s also 60 I believe so starting over ain’t happening

Gus Malzahn hes a good Offensive mind but I think he lacks something as a HC. Over the years he’s lost more bad games than I can count. If it weren’t for luck he’d have been fired 3-4 times by now.

Mike Gundy he’s fiery and passionate but he’ll never leave Steelwater and never get along with the boosters here.

All the while it would take millions to pay off coaches and get coaches here. If we don’t stop running people off we’ll never be any closer to where we all want to be

That is what the ols saying goes. However, a lot of people overpay thinking thwy have to pay more than the market price. Then they find out they were snookered and look for another sure thing. UCLA is having more problems with their coach than we are and they had a strong roster.
Think how our negative fan base would be if we had hired him.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back