You don’t want Mike Leach and here’s why

That pirate ship has sailed, unfortunately.

I was on this board 10 years ago saying we should have brought him here instead of Kiffin. At the time I thought he could have been the next Spurrier or Meyer. What could have been.

Lincoln Riley is exhibit A on what a modified version of that system can do in big time conference ball. I just don’t understand the hate.

We need to approach this thing like the A’s did with moneyball. If we try to be like Bama and UGA then we will lose to Bama and UGA. We’ve got to attack this problem from a different angle where we aren’t competing with the current big dawgs for the same resources and players.

No, I don’t because he couldn’t recruit enough guys to keep up and neither would be here long enough to see it through

Dooley and butch could recruit and they sucksd but leach who would show the offense recruits how he would use them wouldn’t be able to?
All he would have to do is find a few Trooper Coaches and he would be set

Yep. Lincoln Riley is a Leach disciple and they are doing pretty good running a version of that system at a big time program.

Leach’s coaching tree is long and extensive. He is an upgrade in every respect from what we have now. The more I research it the more I would love to have him here.

And when they play teams that actually play Defense.... Loss.

No, I don’t because he couldn’t recruit enough guys to keep up and neither would be here long enough to see it through

If our revolving door of HCs have taught us anything, it’s that even a former trumpet player with no playing experience can recruit to Tennessee.

I’m convinced that even with a Top 20 recruiting class Leach could get us back to 10 wins in a couple years. Give him a strong DC and recruiting staff and we would be off to the races running track meets every Saturday.

I know it won’t happen and the ship has sailed, but we could have hired leach, scored points, won games, enjoyed press conferences, had fun.

It pads stats.

9TDs in a loss..

That’s not good D.

I would love to have the freaking opportunity to pad stats. How nice that must be.

A crappy defense does not help your offense game plan nor execute..

Based on your assertion if only our defense sucked even more than it currently does we could have scored a couple of touchdowns yesterday. Hell, we might even have beaten Georgia State...

Ridiculous.

Pruitt's problem seems to be this, he is a pretty good defensive play caller. He knows little to nothing on offense and should stay out of it completely. He should've hired some wide open Mike Leach type of offensive coordinator and let them run the show completely. This thought of, I'm going to run old school power football is completely wrong and will cause him to lose his job. Even coach O at LSU is smart enough to realize this. If Pruitt does not learn this, he will lose his job in a year or two.

How many guys is Chaney bringing in? I do think Chaney is a good OC based on what he did during his first visit here, but he's no recruiter. I'm still l not sure why we brought him in when we don't have the pieces in place for him to do what he does best. Doesn't seem to have hurt UGA and doesn't seem to have helped us. I think you could have Leach as HFC with a hand in offense and then get some uber recruiter with a brain for OC. Maybe it's apples to oranges when you're talking HFC vs OC as a recruiting closer?

Dooley and butch could recruit and they sucksd but leach who would show the offense recruits how he would use them wouldn’t be able to?
All he would have to do is find a few Trooper Coaches and he would be set

Trooper Taylor? Mr Scandal? There’s some good news.

They recruited off lies and got 2 of the most talented teams Tennessee has seen and what did we have to show? Nothing.

It’s great if your offense is a exotic sports car but if your Defense is a ford pinto on flats then it’s all for not.

If our revolving door of HCs have taught us anything, it’s that even a former trumpet player with no playing experience can recruit to Tennessee.

I’m convinced that even with a Top 20 recruiting class Leach could get us back to 10 wins in a couple years. Give him a strong DC and recruiting staff and we would be off to the races running track meets every Saturday.

I know it won’t happen and the ship has sailed, but we could have hired leach, scored points, won games, enjoyed press conferences, had fun.

Yep sadly. I'm starting to lean towards giving Hugh Freeze (issues and all) a 2nd chance when Pruitt is fired...

How many guys is Chaney bringing in? I do think Chaney is a good OC based on what he did during his first visit here, but he's no recruiter. I'm still l not sure why we brought him in when we don't have the pieces in place for him to do what he does best. Doesn't seem to have hurt UGA and doesn't seem to have helped us. I think you could have Leach as HFC with a hand in offense and then get some uber recruiter with a brain for OC. Maybe it's apples to oranges when you're talking HFC vs OC as a recruiting closer?

If Bailey is still on board you’ll see the difference from day 1

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I don't know. It would be kinda neat to have an unheralded QB throw for 570 yds and 9 touchdowns in one game, providing 63 points of offense, even if it was a loss.

It just seems better than 100 yards and 9 staredowns from a 5 star an route to zero points. Though we did ultimately get a field goal, yay.

makes me feel like there could be a coaching imbalance or something at play here.

Until he’s fired in year 2 for not winning the conference

Reactions: AM64

They recruited off lies and got 2 of the most talented teams Tennessee has seen and what did we have to show? Nothing.

It’s great if your offense is a exotic sports car but if your Defense is a ford pinto on flats then it’s all for not.

Florida has had great defense under boom and a 90 year old grandpa in a wheelchair for offense and that got us a loss under GAS.

I rather have a great offense and no defense then a great defenses, one is more enjoyable to watch and spend my Saturday’s

Your last line is just plain dumb. I’m sorry, but it is. There is no reason to believe he wouldn’t have a solid defense here with the resources available that he hasn’t had at previous stops.

If Bailey is still on board you’ll see the difference from day 1
I like the idea there. The question has been asked before so I guess it's okay to ask again: Why wasn't Chaney pursing HB when he was OC at UGA? It's not like UGA won't take a couple of elite QBs every year. It concerns me that there is something there we're not seeing.

Dooley recruited well, butch too. You don’t think Leach would? Lol that’s funny.

Didn’t say that.

For it to have prolonged success you need a lot of guys to rotate. He’d have guys on offense but the D would never be even or pass the O and that at minimum needs to happen

VN Store

Back