You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone

Yep. Look at the stats. And let’s also take into account the teams around both QBs. It’s not even remotely comparable. And Tee was still below average.
Tee still holds a school record or two...and a Natty! Put down the pipe, smh!
He's made hundreds of idiotic and uninformed posts. That being said, this one rises above all the rest

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
This was from an article by The Seattle Times:

Given that Guarantano’s run-and-shoot baptism is still just 15 practices deep, coaches probably need more time to evaluate the Tennessee graduate transfer, and therefore it’d be surprising to see him miss the cut.

Guarantano has all the physical tools to play in Nick Rolovich’s offense, he’s the most experienced signal-caller on the roster.

Coaches need more time to evaluate.....just watch the last 5 years of UT football...

For the most part, I think Andy Kelly is held in high regard by Tennessee fans... because we won a lot of games when he was here. However, he threw a ton of interceptions in his career and many of them were returned for touchdowns. Andy Kelly threw more pick 6's in 1991 alone, than Jarrett Guarantano did in his entire career at Tennessee. For his career, Kelly also threw over twice as many int's overall (38) than Guarantano did (17). Kelly threw all of those interceptions while playing with a much better offensive line and WR's than Guarantano ever had. In 1990, Kelly was throwing to Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens and Anthony Morgan. The best trio of WR's we have ever had at the same time.
All of these points underline my previous statement that the game has changed dramatically. Defensive backs could mug wide receivers back when Andy Kelly was playing QB. Headhunting was actively encouraged and celebrated back then.

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
Most of the quarterbacks we have had that were as bad as JG never saw the field much. Buried on the depth chart.

How that guy kept being trotted out there is baffling. Our coaches by could not get any of them ready.

$$$$$$

Yep. Look at the stats. And let’s also take into account the teams around both QBs. It’s not even remotely comparable. And Tee was still below average.
Lol.

No I take that back. Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

To be fair I think Martin wasn’t the greatest qb but he made big plays. Comparing him to JG is ludicrous, saying JG is better is flat out batchit crazy.

It’s not JG’s fault. The kid was working with the skill set God gave him, and was Orange through and through. Those at fault are the ones that failed to develop him, or use him in a productive way, and those who kept trotting him out there when it was obvious he was in over his head.

All JG did was work hard, take a beating, and continue to be a good ambassador for Tennessee. He deserved better than he got from the coaches and fans. I’m glad he’s not the QB here...but wish him all the success in football and life.
Agree. Also will say he was a tough SOB, say what you want but the kid went out there injured and gave his all. We just simply should’ve had a better starter.

For the most part, I think Andy Kelly is held in high regard by Tennessee fans... because we won a lot of games when he was here. However, he threw a ton of interceptions in his career and many of them were returned for touchdowns. Andy Kelly threw more pick 6's in 1991 alone, than Jarrett Guarantano did in his entire career at Tennessee. For his career, Kelly also threw over twice as many int's overall (38) than Guarantano did (17). Kelly threw all of those interceptions while playing with a much better offensive line and WR's than Guarantano ever had. In 1990, Kelly was throwing to Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens and Anthony Morgan. The best trio of WR's we have ever had at the same time.
He is one of my all-time favorites! But, I have to agree with this. I rewatched the Virginia Sugar Bowl on youtube last night and he had like three pics alone in that game.

He is one of my all-time favorites! But, I have to agree with this. I rewatched the Virginia Sugar Bowl on youtube last night and he had like three pics alone in that game.
In the "Miracle at South Bend" victory over Notre Dame in November of 1991, Kelly threw a gift wrapped pick six. Pretty much just threw it right to a Notre Dame safety who took it 60 yards for a TD. We didn't have a receiver in sight of where Kelly threw the ball. He threw some real head scratchers at times... but he would usually make up for it later with a great drive. Mike Gottfried of ESPN once said that "Andy Kelly is the type of QB who keeps both teams in the game."

Last edited:
Reactions: Samthebam
I fail to get the obsession of some fans with Guarantano and the need to find ways to bash him, especially now that he isn't even on the team. All the guy did was give his all and that should be appreciated, even if it didn't work out.

Me either, it’s a bit odd. He wasn’t great but he did the best he could

I fail to get the obsession of some fans with Guarantano and the need to find ways to bash him, especially now that he isn't even on the team. All the guy did was give his all and that should be appreciated, even if it didn't work out.

He's made hundreds of idiotic and uninformed posts. That being said, this one rises above all the rest

I disagree.
Irrelevant. Stats are stats and numbers don’t lie. JG had a higher YPA this season than Dobbs ever did.

Casey Clausens best YPA was 8.4 in 2001. JGs this year was 8.4.

Regarding Dobbs, I am talking about him as a passer only. Not his rushing abilities.

Claiming that JG is better than both Dobbs and Clausen because of YPA, is still his dumbest statement on the subject.

Reactions: Zues1
Tee. Martin saw the field plenty and he was worse

Wait. Let me go back to sleep and wake up again. I must be in some alternate reality.

The guy had, what, 21 consecutive completions. Went undefeated. Won a NT. Huh?

He was the opposite of JG. Tee knew when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. When JG got in a 3rd down position, or goal line situation, he fell apart. That is the opposite of what Tee did.

It had nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with knowing how to play the game.

In the "Miracle at South Bend" victory over Notre Dame in November of 1991, Kelly threw a gift wrapped pick six. Pretty much just threw it right to a Notre Dame safety who took it 60 yards for a TD. We didn't have a receiver in sight of where Kelly threw the ball. He threw some real head scratchers at times... but he would usually make for it later with a great drive. Mike Gottfried of ESPN once said that "Andy Kelly is the type of QB who keeps both teams in the game."

Didn't he have like three pics in the first half of that game? Those along with Carter's fumble...

Still though, he's one of my favorites. He and 5'9" 185 lb Tony Thompson!

Tee. Martin saw the field plenty and he was worse
Tee Martin made plays when they counted. The stats just show you that numbers dont automatically mean wins. Tee had more weapons then the entire US Military and JG still wouldnt have won a Natty with that team.

Reactions: LittleVol
JG stole a lot of grown mens' women.

It's unreal.

VN Store

Back