Yikes. 224.

Back in the day, including some of the pre-championship Candace teams and the baby vol era, (when I was on the SummiTT), posters often lamented how the hyper tough was killing the team and compared to the lighter load that Uconn faced.

Then the argument was that the easier comp let Uconn work out the kinks and perfect their system, whereas the LVs were getting their confidence beat down and not able to experience sharp execution.

My point: When the team is struggling people grasped for tangible external factors -- the preseason schedule is too weak; the preseason schedule is too demanding; we don't have enough quick, athletic players; we have too many quick athletic players and need more pure shooters; we need to get bigger; we need to get smaller. If only a time-out!

Here is the reality -- this team is a major work in progress. Two elite players left the program; a third is out with an ACL. No one loses that much talent without missing a beat.

Two of the teams main cogs are freshman (Horston and Key).

We have one experienced preseason all-conference candidate -- Davis.

Our other main player is a sophomore who is still wildly inconsistent and probably won't be a consistent big time player till she becomes an upper classman - Rae.

Our other key player KK is now just becoming a passable post but still does not match up against comparably sized players.

The only this group succeeds is to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. That process takes a little time.

This is Coach Harper's first season. Maybe give her at least till the conference season before passing out verdicts.

The euphoria of the first 7 games was fun but completely premature as is the gloom and doom, what was gone wrong? whose to blame machinations, post-Texas
Madtownvol, you are probably tired of hearing this but I am going to say it anyway. You are very astute in your comments on the status of the Lady vols. One question about this statement in your comment: "The only this group succeeds is to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. ". Did you intend to say; " The only thing this group needs to succeed is to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense."?

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
DI Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Women's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com

The Lady Vols program was seriously, grossly mishandled by whichever persons on the previous administration put together a schedule that, even at 7-1, has resulted in having an RPI of 224. And this new #224 is actually an improvement over last week’s ranking.

At least the current administration will strive to remedy that. The schedule that Kellie and Missouri State put together for this year’s team has them at 8-1 with an RPI of #2. That’s a great sign of things to come.

But DANG.

Holly probably still thought she'd have her job, and likely wanted guaranteed victories. Not surprised.

Reactions: mcannon1
As a group, we LV fans are very hungry for success......We aren't going to be satisfied with the pitiful effort we saw Saturday by the team and coaching staff....All the rest is conversation.

Reactions: mcannon1
Scheduling is a minuscule fix. Our schedule apparently reflects who we are currently. Missouri St. can survive and thrive minus Kellie Harper because she had obviously cultivated a blue-collar work ethic immersed in pride. She has to recapture that culture with this program. When I posted formerly that Harper had her work cut out for her, this is it. She has to exorcise the previously excused bad habits and entitled mindsets that plagued our program and manifested down the stretch each of the last few seasons. There is give and take as she cultivates a more disciplined--more structured program. It is a tedious, tenuous process. Right now, we are the poster program for empty swagger. Ugh! Now we can see how a loss impacts corrective practices and how the players receive coaching.
Great post!

Madtownvol, you are probably tired of hearing this but I am going to say it anyway. You are very astute in your comments on the status of the Lady vols. One question about this statement in your comment: "The only this group succeeds is to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. ". Did you intend to say; " The only thing this group needs to succeed is to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense."?

Yes, sorry I need to proofread more. I corrected in the original post, rewrote as

"To succeed, this LV team needs to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. That process takes a little time."

Thank you!

Playing devil's advocate, it is possible that the weak early schedule was a plus for the team (and per that "weak" schedule let's not forget that we had the fortune of catching ND in a real down phase). But recall, how close the LVs came to losing against ETSU. I think if they had matched up against a couple of top 20 teams in these early outings, some big losses could have been in the cards. And at the point, Kellie would have been coaching under crisis and all kinds of questions would be floating as to whether she was up for the job.

Seven wins helped to generate a good vibe around the team and gave a little cushion so that people can rationalize the Texas loss as a potential teaching moment.
I don’t thing beating up on 6-7 little sisters of the poor give good vibes to a team it only gives false hope to some players that they can play at this level and gives coaches a perception that any lineup I throw out there will work! Good vibes come from tough battles vs other good teams! Beating up on cupcakes creates a sense of false security!

Back in the day, including some of the pre-championship Candace teams and the baby vol era, (when I was on the SummiTT), posters often lamented how the hyper tough was killing the team and compared to the lighter load that Uconn faced.

Then the argument was that the easier comp let Uconn work out the kinks and perfect their system, whereas the LVs were getting their confidence beat down and not able to experience sharp execution.

My point: When the team is struggling people grasped for tangible external factors -- the preseason schedule is too weak; the preseason schedule is too demanding; we don't have enough quick, athletic players; we have too many quick athletic players and need more pure shooters; we need to get bigger; we need to get smaller. If only a time-out!

Here is the reality -- this team is a major work in progress. Two elite players left the program; a third is out with an ACL. No one loses that much talent without missing a beat.

Our other main player is a sophomore who is still wildly inconsistent and probably won't be a consistent big time player till she becomes an upper classman - Rae.

Our other key player KK is now just becoming a passable post but still does not match up against comparably sized players.

To succeed, this LV team needs to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. That process takes a little time.

This is Coach Harper's first season. Maybe give her at least till the conference season before passing out verdicts.

The euphoria of the first 7 games was fun but completely premature as is the gloom and doom, what was gone wrong? whose to blame machinations, post-Texas
You seem to have a good insight on the lady
vols madtownvol.

It's early in the season. They will get better and will be a fun team to watch.

New staff...new set up....I think someone did you guys a favor (not intentionally for sure) in hindsight. You could consider them "glorified" scrimmages if you like but it lets the players get used to a different style and if it improves their play in SEC games that are coming then it's a win/win. I don't think it's going to hurt you in the long run.

They must use a very different formula for RPI in the women’s game than the men’s game. This team is not very good, but they’re not in the bottom third of all D1. That’s ridiculous.

Reactions: mlindsay

To succeed, this LV team needs to gel as a defensive unit and find an identity on offense. That process takes a little time.

The gal with the brace on her leg, on the bench, is really needed by these players!

Holly probably still thought she'd have her job, and likely wanted guaranteed victories. Not surprised.

Holly had another incentive to schedule lower ranked teams other than for a win. I am certain she received bonuses based off of wins. So it was monetary as well.

VN Store

Back