Yes, that was a facemask penalty...

KY tried to go tempo offense in that series. Guys jumping back up so quick and pushing the refs to set the ball is the big reason that facemask was missed.

If KY stays in there offense, penalty likely gets caught.
Good observation I agree!

What about the hold on tilman preventing a catch and straight jet to the end zone? Boo hoo.

I was just putting together a list of every hold that the Stripes missed on KY. Go look at the first TD for KY, the center held our NG/Tackle right where the ball went, no call. First TD for KY in the second half, The KY tackle blatantly held, no call. I have not completed the list but I am working on it. I get it that the stripes cannot get every call for or against us but they never called one holding penalty on the KY line all night.

I hate it that calls like that are missed and that they potentially have an effect on the outcome of the game. But we've been on the wrong side of so many of them that I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about this one.

Reactions: VollerNbham
That crew basically let the players play. They just missed a call. LY still got the first down and ended up stopped 4 downs later.

Cry me a river. We’ve had a boatload of calls go against us this year. They cost us the game against ole miss. Things usually even out over the course of the season. We have been overdue for something to go our way.

Reactions: wmcovol
It's entirely possible that the missed face mask didn't cause KY to lose, but rather it was the correct 15 yard penalty on Stoops. That changed the situation from 4th and 9 to 4th and 24.

NGL, when I saw that flag come out after the play I thought they were about to call one of those retroactive Tennessee penalties that costs us the game.

Should have been called. First time all season I've seen one of the many ref screw-ups go OUR way instead of the opponent. Feels like payback.

Rule 9.1.8:

“No player shall grasp and then twist, turn or pull the facemask, chin strap or any helmet opening of an opponent.”

From an article on google

In the NCAA and NFL, twisting and turning is key
Unlike the high school rules, the NCAA rules book does allow brief or incidental contact to the facemask that does not include twisting or turning. The NCAA rule makes clear that simple grasping is not sufficient to draw a penalty — there has to be more than just fingers to the facemask:

When I slow mo'd the replays I could not see where he grasped the facemask with his fingers and what VERY LITTLE head movement there was did not take place till his hand and forearm were loosing control and contact as the QB was going to the ground. Anybody got a different or enlarged pic to show actual grasping and control and twisting of the facemask while grasped?. If he had grasped the facemask he would not have allowed the QB to pull away.

Certainly not a no-brainer from my clip.

I was just putting together a list of every hold that the Stripes missed on KY. Go look at the first TD for KY, the center held our NG/Tackle right where the ball went, no call. First TD for KY in the second half, The KY tackle blatantly held, no call. I have not completed the list but I am working on it. I get it that the stripes cannot get every call for or against us but they never called one holding penalty on the KY line all night.
There were times where the KY lineman had their arms around our dlinemen’s necks and backs…. KY can complain about the refs all they want…. It’s music to my ears. Screw ‘em

There were times where the KY lineman had their arms around our dlinemen’s necks and backs…. KY can complain about the refs all they want…. It’s music to my ears. Screw ‘em
If I’m not mistaken the defender was being held (tackled) on the facemask call. They held all night long.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Don't care. Missed calls happen every game. On a long Kentucky pass in third quarter, their left tackle had his arm wrapped around our DE's neck to prevent the sack. **** happens and goes both ways. Nothing about the officating was abnormal during this game.

VN Store

Back