Year Of The Rigg??

Can Riggs break the rushing record?

• Total voters

SmokeyVol

I like conebred
He had some great games last yeat, but I think he will be one of the top backs in the SEC if not #1 this year. Can he break it 1464?

it all depends on how health our line is..but i think that if they all are healthy, he gets it.

If we have a good O-line, he should be able to run for more than that. I don't know who will the second guy..Foster I guess, but I think that Riggs will be in there most of the time. He certainly has a fullback to follow....

We're going to be loaded at RB and QB for the next few years....Hopefully get us some national titles

The Oline should blow off the ball! With 20-30 carries pg, I wouldnt see why not.

That said' also cant let him take an abusive 20+ with out sharing carries. Healthy,Rested tailbacks produce.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@May 5, 2005 6:24 PM
The Oline should blow off the ball! With 20-30 carries pg, I wouldnt see why not.

That said' also cant let him take an abusive 20+ with out sharing carries. Healthy,Rested tailbacks produce.

In case you haven't noticed, our o-line has been a little on the pitiful side as of late. If the o-line does manage to get healthy, though, Riggs should be able to take 20-ish a game and not worry.

Problem is that he would need upwards 0f 300 carries to break the record. I don't think we've ever given anybody that kind of load to carry. In fact, I'd bet that there haven't been more than a few guys even get 250 carries.

Not upwards of 300... I have confidence that Riggs can average over 5ypc, but he will still need 250-300 to break the record.

Still though . . . I just checked and in the history of Tennessee football we've had exactly 3 Rbs get 250+ carries - Travis Stephens, Travis Henry and Jay Graham. As much as we like to throw it around and share carries, it's hard for anybody to approach 1500 yards.

I think he'll get the record...
He should be getting the bulk of the carries and not sharing with Houston, like last year....I think the fullbacks will be the key to that success, I know I'm alitte bias b/c my nephew is the no 2 fullback...O-line or not, the fullbacks still play a major part in that...

What I like is that we have a couple of prototypical bruisers at fullback who can really smack people in the mouth and be great lead blockers. I liked guys like Shawn Bryson and Troy Flemming, but they were really just big tailbacks that played fullback.

I think we have too many weapons on the outside for Riggs to get the number of carries he would need to break it.

That's what I've been saying. Ability and opportunity are 2 different things.

ditto , I think he has the ability, but he'll need lots of carries and a healthy o-line to break the record

While I think that it would be great if Riggs broke the rushing record, I would rather him just stay healthy and do what he needs to do. It will get really messy if he gets injured... :blink:

I am sure he is going to get the carries to get enough yards. I dont think tennessee has had an offense like this in a while were the running back could be our 3rd option. we are so loaded all around that he should break off alot of runs when the defense has 5 corners on the field to try and stop the pass.

Can he ability wise? Yes
Will he in UT's offense with all the weapons they have? No

Balance is going to play in here! Tennessee football is pounding the rock, keep D's weiry by droping bombs

riggs wont get it if he does great though but just to many wr threats i think we may throw more this year than last but hey thats logical

I hope he has a great year. I also hope the other backs can give him a break every now and then.

i voted maybe, i want meachem to get a lot of touches, which im sure he will, but if riggs does REALLY good he will almost carry the load on offense, we will see how it goes

GO MEACH
GO VOLS!!

Originally posted by vols2345@May 6, 2005 1:56 PM
I am sure he is going to get the carries to get enough yards.  I dont think tennessee has had an offense like this in a while were the running back could be our 3rd option.  we are so loaded all around that he should break off alot of runs when the defense has 5 corners on the field to try and stop the pass.
[snapback]91293[/snapback]​

That is my reasoning of why i think he can do it.
If the passing game proves to be as good as we all think it will be, A good run Defense will have to stay on it's heels. Sure we do need another hb in there gaining experience and sharing a little of the load.

The FB's are going to be a great 2nd read or by design play and take a few carries. I do see Anderson and Holbert not blocking all year.

If we can have a tight end step up consistently it'll be choose your poison.

VN Store

Back