Year 1 Common Opponents

Ole Miss this week for Heupel's Vols. Kiffin and Dooley each played Ole Miss their 1st season. Kiffin's team got blasted in Oxford by Dexter McCluster's 25 carries, 282 yards, 4 TDs; 4 rec, 42 yds. Tennessee lost 42-17. The next season, Tyler Bray had 323 yards and 3 TDs on only 18 completions; the Vols beat the Rebels 52-14

Last edited:
year 1 Bama week comparisons. 10 pts have been the number for Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch. Pruitt's team put up 21, but had the largest margin loss. Kiffin came close to beating them in a 10-12 loss. Does Heupel's team get more than 21?
BTW the OP is updated each week.

This is kind of useless because our opponents have changed a lot. To be fair to Dooley, he caught a time where the SEC East was very up. South Carolina had Spurrier, Missouri had Gary Pinkel, and Vanderbilt had James Franklin. If you look at his schedules vs. the other coaches, he has a lot more ranked teams on the schedule.

Irrelevant. Teams' personnel are different. Game strategies are different. Weather as a factor are different. None of the games have any relation or significance to the other.
i agree with you. I wanted to see what 1st year coaches have done their 1st year and thought i'd share.

This is kind of useless because our opponents have changed a lot. To be fair to Dooley, he caught a time where the SEC East was very up. South Carolina had Spurrier, Missouri had Gary Pinkel, and Vanderbilt had James Franklin. If you look at his schedules vs. the other coaches, he has a lot more ranked teams on the schedule.
This exactly.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I don’t understand what it is with us and Florida, it makes me sick. We’re better than them this year, they are not a good team.

Whyyy do we forget how to play football against them?

Are you sure Kiffin and Dooley played Ole Miss year 1? That would be the same West opponents for two years straight.
That is the case. In 2009 the Vols played Auburn, Alabamastan, and Ole Miss from the west. 2010 was LSU, Alabamastan and Ole Miss. 2011 LSU, Arkansas and Alabamastan. 2012 saw Mizzu and Texas A&M join the SEC. We went to playing only 2 west teams from then forward. 2012 was LSU and Alabamastan. There was a rotation that went for two consecutive years east vs west. Expansion ended that practice.

Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, Pruitt, and Heupel year 1 common opponents comparison
This strikes me as largely being a completely pointless exercise. Many of those common opponents have different coaches over that time frame, and all of those teams (including UT) have different players on their rosters during each of those coaches' tenures. Therefore, it's impossible to draw conclusions regarding the quality of the head coach simply by comparing records against common opponents in Year 1 of coach's tenure.

That is the case. In 2009 the Vols played Auburn, Alabamastan, and Ole Miss from the west. 2010 was LSU, Alabamastan and Ole Miss. 2011 LSU, Arkansas and Alabamastan. 2012 saw Mizzu and Texas A&M join the SEC. We went to playing only 2 west teams from then forward. 2012 was LSU and Alabamastan. There was a rotation that went for two consecutive years east vs west. Expansion ended that practice.
Gotcha. Forgot that was before the SEC expanded.

This strikes me as largely being a completely pointless exercise. Many of those common opponents have different coaches over that time frame, and all of those teams (including UT) have different players on their rosters during each of those coaches' tenures. Therefore, it's impossible to draw conclusions regarding the quality of the head coach simply by comparing records against common opponents in Year 1 of coach's tenure.
I get everything you're saying and agree, but I didn't do this to compare quality of coach, just to compare 1st season scores vs those opponents. What would be the best way to compare 1st seasons?

Very neat thanks for sharing. Looks like we might learn a lot after playing Georgie.
As someone who hates Georgia more than any other, let me state that their defense is all time great this year. Not even Kirby can mess up this group of future NFL stars.

VN Store

Back