Yahoo Sports Exclusive regarding FBI Case in College Basketball

NCAA just needs to go ahead and let these guys get endorsements and make money on selling their autographs etc.

If someone is willing to sign them to an endorsement deal then that’s on that company. It’s a risk for them and f they want to take it, let them.

If someone is willing to pay for a college athletes signature then let them sell it.

I don’t see how this effects the integrity of the game/recruiting. If you don’t want to pay them (which I don’t really want that to happen) then let them make money otherwise.

I guess the problem will be when boosters pay certain players $5k per autograph.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess the problem will be when boosters pay certain players $5k per autograph.

Fair enough. Keep that banned but allow endorsement deals from established shoe and athletic companies. It can’t be an endorsement from “TGO’s Jock Strap Sporting Goods” in Knoxville Tennessee.

Fair enough. Keep that banned but allow endorsement deals from established shoe and athletic companies. It can’t be an endorsement from “TGO’s Jock Strap Sporting Goods” in Knoxville Tennessee.

Zero tolerance must be the only way it can be enforced. That one guy, football player I think, was already making good money on his YouTube channel and had to chose between that and college ball.

First thing that I think should happen is that kids that don't care about an education should go straight to the NBA or D-League or play overseas ball. The NCAA should penalize chronic under performers (the schools) in the classroom. One-and-dones have turned it into a joke,

Zero tolerance must be the only way it can be enforced. That one guy, football player I think, was already making good money on his YouTube channel and had to chose between that and college ball.

First thing that I think should happen is that kids that don't care about an education should go straight to the NBA or D-League or play overseas ball. The NCAA should penalize chronic under performers (the schools) in the classroom. One-and-dones have turned it into a joke,

NBA wants the one and done to stay intact. It benefits them. I agree that most should take the Brandon Jennings route and go overseas, really it makes more sense.

Why not go over there and get paid for a year then enter the draft?

Basketball isn’t like other sports. It’s really the only one where a guy can go straight from high school to the pros and be successful right away. I’m not a fan of one and done. I say if they are ready to be pros than let them. We are really only talking about a handful of guys anyways.

NBA wants the one and done to stay intact. It benefits them. I agree that most should take the Brandon Jennings route and go overseas, really it makes more sense.

Why not go over there and get paid for a year then enter the draft?

Basketball isn’t like other sports. It’s really the only one where a guy can go straight from high school to the pros and be successful right away. I’m not a fan of one and done. I say if they are ready to be pros than let them. We are really only talking about a handful of guys anyways.

I have recently heard that under the new collective bargaining agreement, the NBA will push to allow players to go straight to the pros again, but if you go to school, you have to stay two years. That is a nice compromise, IMO.

I have recently heard that under the new collective bargaining agreement, the NBA will push to allow players to go straight to the pros again, but if you go to school, you have to stay two years. That is a nice compromise, IMO.

That would be great.

I hope that's how it plays out. And also have the NCAA penalize teams when players fail in the classroom.

I hope that's how it plays out. And also have the NCAA penalize teams when players fail in the classroom.

Requiring them to stay two years will also require them to make genuine progress towards a degree. Won't be able to fake it for a semester anymore like they can now.

Requiring them to stay two years will also require them to make genuine progress towards a degree. Won't be able to fake it for a semester anymore like they can now.

If they flunk out I hope that the spot has to remain vacant for a scholarship player for at least a year (and preferably longer). Start with 13 and if 3 flunk out after their freshman year then the team only has 10 players on scholarship the next year.

So in the next year you think NBA goes back to previous format? I’ll take that bet.

I could see them going to the 2 year rule...but don’t see them just going back to how it was.

I’m not gonna set a time frame on it cause I’m not sure if it’s collectively bargained and how long it will take.

We live in a world where people like to misuse stats and figures to act like college basketball players are slaves.

I’m hoping they go to the baseball rule but I just think will be forced to leave it wide open.

Maybe I’m wrong.

How does it work? Can't a dumb as dirt one-and-done player pass Basket Weaving 101 and Underwater Knitting 101 in the fall, stop going to class in January and stay eligible all season?

Yes and no. It's not just faking a semester of classes. There are Ben Simmons' out there taking fake classes and not even going. But I can vouch most, if not all, of UK's players go to class the entire year and have certain requirements they are meeting on top of the APR ones.

Yes and no. It's not just faking a semester of classes. There are Ben Simmons' out there taking fake classes and not even going. But I can vouch most, if not all, of UK's players go to class the entire year and have certain requirements they are meeting on top of the APR ones.

Yes, I don't think that it can be done repeatedly. But for an awesome player or two... they could be fake students.

6 hours passed per semester is the rule. 20% of credits toward a specifIed major must happen every year.

If a player is one and done and doesn't meet 20% it hurts apr. Kentucky does a good with that as far as I know

6 hours passed per semester is the rule. 20% of credits toward a specifIed major must happen every year.

If a player is one and done and doesn't meet 20% it hurts apr. Kentucky does a good with that as far as I know

If that 20% includes electives (Underwater Basket Weaving 101), then it isn't that difficult to manage. Might also have to pass Underwater Basket Weaving 102 in the spring semester though.

If that 20% includes electives (Underwater Basket Weaving 101), then it isn't that difficult to manage. Might also have to pass Underwater Basket Weaving 102 in the spring semester though.

Yes it includes electives and in a freshen year there is plenty of room for electives

At this point, there's no reason to follow NCAA rules. Arizona pretty much confirmed that by playing Ayton last night. We know the "blue bloods" are just the programs that have been allowed to cheat the longest. Has there ever been a non-corrupt UK coach? North Carolina got away with death penalty level stuff. UCLA did for years too. I wish Pearl/UT had actually stood up to the NCAA. Nothing would have came of it and we'd probably have a final 4 or two under our belts.

My biggest issue with the NCAA is that many coaches and administrators are making millions annually, but the schools aren't on the hook for life long injuries that some athletes have to deal with.

I also hate, from a fan's perspective, that players can stay eligible for a year while not actually being students.

Also, I wish that the schools would take a serious interest in the kid's educations. They should never steer them into easier fields to keep them eligible unless all of the players are also given an unlimited time-line to come back to school and pursue any degree. I'm okay if they stay in a useless major while playing as long as they can later change their major to whatever they want.

I'm not in favor of paying players. The free tuition, room and board, and other benefits (tutoring for example) is their pay. Paying players a salary just makes college sports minor league sports.

At this point, there's no reason to follow NCAA rules. Arizona pretty much confirmed that by playing Ayton last night. We know the "blue bloods" are just the programs that have been allowed to cheat the longest. Has there ever been a non-corrupt UK coach? North Carolina got away with death penalty level stuff. UCLA did for years too. I wish Pearl/UT had actually stood up to the NCAA. Nothing would have came of it and we'd probably have a final 4 or two under our belts.

Look no further than Saint Wooden. Everyone has known for decades there is cheating. And with the rise of AAU ball and companies investing millions into future stars, I suppose it was only a matter of time before people started looking into it. It's interesting how this thing started with a bunch of assistant coaches, yet has clearly blown up into something much more. If the FBI chooses, this rabbit hole might not have a bottom. 100% every single D1 program cheats at varying levels (from a hundred buck handshakes to academic cheating to 100k loans). It's up the FBI how far they go with this. Do they stop with the blue bloods, or does this trickle down all the way?

VN Store

Back