XFL 2023

VolsSportsFan

Mo Money Mo Problems - Michael Scott
Is anyone going to watch these spring football leagues? I probably will only because football is my favorite sport. I even watch the CFL.

The AAFL starts next month and of the 2, it seems to be embracing the "We know we're a minor league" role more. Other than Atlanta and Arizona, their teams are in non-NFL markets. Some of the games and the playoffs will be on the CBS Sports Network.

The XFL won't start for another year and I think will go directly head to head with the AAFL. There are no teams in the same cities as the AAFL, but the seasons will happen at the same time. The XFL isn't quite as agressive with the marketing this time, but they still are moreso going for an "NFL alternative" angle. 7 of their teams are in NFL markets, with St. Louis being the only one (and former NFL market). So far no television deals have been made public.

Personally I think at best one of these will survive and may end up being some sort of merged league.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'll watch, I'll especially watch the XFL since I'm a wrestling fan.

Im wondering if there's gonna be any fantasy for them.

Except that it's owned be Vince McMahon.
I know, but he's the one saying himself that it won't have a WWE bent. He formed a structure separate from WWE that owns the league and he's got Oliver Luck (Andrew's dad) as the commish. It's like he wants it to be taken more seriously as a football league this time. I bet it will actually be more akin to a football league in terms of branding, promotion, overall style, etc. than the previous XFL was, even though Vince owns it.

I know, but he's the one saying himself that it won't have a WWE bent. He formed a structure separate from WWE that owns the league and he's got Oliver Luck (Andrew's dad) as the commish. It's like he wants it to be taken more seriously as a football league this time. I bet it will actually be more akin to a football league in terms of branding, promotion, overall style, etc. than the previous XFL was, even though Vince owns it.
Ok, that's cool.

I'll watch it because I like football and I'm a wrestling fan.

I think he's learned his lesson from his last venture into football. The 30 for 30 on the XFL did great illustrating that.

What sucks about the last time was I think it would have worked or at least lasted longer if he had not tried to mix the WWE antics into it. I get why he did it because the WWE was really hot then, but it just came across so silly. The "fued" Ventura had with Rusty Tillman, trying to start WWE like storylines with the players, etc. About halfway through the season they dropped pretty much all of that and it was pretty decent football, but by then the damage was done.

Also they were set to do a Season 2 but McMahon balked when NBC wouldn't air the Saturday Night game, instead offering Saturday or Sunday afternoon regional coverage or something like that. And UPN/TNN were going to still show Sunday games.

If the AAFL is successful I question if the "new " XFL ever happens.
Only so many viewers to pull from.

Reactions: SoMissVol
If the AAFL is successful I question if the "new " XFL ever happens.
Only so many viewers to pull from.
Yea, it’s still going to happen . Alreay has venues. It might not last, but it’ll happen. Being almost completely separate from the AAFL, they might even coexist. Will be exciting to actually have football inside Washington DC, not an impossible trip to MD away.

I’m actually looking forward to the AAF. I’m going to a game or two in Memphis. Good coaches in the league and the guys running the league have some serious experience.
First professional game I ever went to was a WFL game in 1975 in Memphis and went to a bunch of USFL games as well. Should be entertaining at least.

I’m actually looking forward to the AAF. I’m going to a game or two in Memphis. Good coaches in the league and the guys running the league have some serious experience.
First professional game I ever went to was a WFL game in 1975 in Memphis and went to a bunch of USFL games as well. Should be entertaining at least.
I'm going to try and make the opener I think

Reactions: peaygolf

VN Store

Back