X-Men: Dark PhoeniX (2019)

The first 2 were pretty good.

The first was good but limited by budget and faith of the studio. I think they trimmed about 30min to keep the run time very short which didn’t give time to flesh out all the characters. Still, it was a great comic movie when it came out. Honestly, it’s success could be seen as the foundation for all the superhero movies we get today.

X2 was like The Empire Strikes back to me. Lots of exciting moments from the opening Nightcrawler raid on the White House to Wolverine escaping the mansion with the kids and then Lady Deathstrike. The Legion/Proteus villain... I still rank it in my top 10 comic movies.

X3 - garbage
Wolverine:Origins - garbage
First Class - Good
The Wolverine - never watched but heard it was OK.
Days of Future Past - Really Good
Apocalypse - Forgettable but not as bad as X3 and Origins
Logan - Good but excessive in ways the took me out of it.
Deadpool’s - are parodies and good for different reasons.

I've always felt like that The Dark Phoenix Saga should be a multiple movie arc.
Yes... really need to establish Jean in at least two movies. Become Pheonix and “die” in 3rd... Shows up with amnesia and brain washed by Hell Fire Club I. 4th... Dark Pheonix with Shi’ar in 5th.

The first was good but limited by budget and faith of the studio. I think they trimmed about 30min to keep the run time very short which didn’t give time to flesh out all the characters. Still, it was a great comic movie when it came out. Honestly, it’s success could be seen as the foundation for all the superhero movies we get today.

X2 was like The Empire Strikes back to me. Lots of exciting moments from the opening Nightcrawler raid on the White House to Wolverine escaping the mansion with the kids and then Lady Deathstrike. The Legion/Proteus villain... I still rank it in my top 10 comic movies.

X3 - garbage
Wolverine:Origins - garbage
First Class - Good
The Wolverine - never watched but heard it was OK.
Days of Future Past - Really Good
Apocalypse - Forgettable but not as bad as X3 and Origins
Logan - Good but excessive in ways the took me out of it.
Deadpool’s - are parodies and good for different reasons.

Fox?

Geez this is so bad my buddy who uh..."stumbles" across copies on the internet can't even find a rip of it.

Anyone seen this yet?
I saw it. Maybe not /quite/ as terrible as the reviews make it seem, but certainly not good. Turner is not at the point where she can carry this sort of role, character motivations are vague and change on a dime, and in my opinion the final confrontation is a letdown. Also a painfully cringe line is delivered by Jennifer Lawrence early in the movie that made several people in my theatre grown. A couple of decent fight moments and Fassbender being awesome are the bright spots

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
My question is, why didn't they try to make them look older? I know they did the whole timeline reboot stuff, but even in DOFP the younger Xavier and Magneto still became Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. DP takes place in 1992, and in 8 years Fassbender is supposed to look like McKellen?

Dark Phoenix - 3.5/5

Not as bad as the reviews would lead you to believe. I enjoyed the majority of it. I wish they would have went ahead with the original script for the ending, that's the only part I had a problem with I wasn't a fan of the final fight scenes. It just wasn't epic enough for the final X-Men "Fox" film based on how epic the opening "hero scenes" were.

We still didn't get the right Dark Phoenix take no pick Dark Phoenix costume, no space travel beyond LEO.

This film would have been really good as a Part 1 of a two part Dark Phoenix saga. Which the original storyline is to big for one film.

I think that is what led to the bad numbers and reviews for what was supposed to be the Dark Phoenix storyline and ultimately the final (Fox) X-Men film that instead of going out with a bang it was just a let down but I do not think it is a bad film.

Off topic but DC/Warner Bros. needs to snatch up Nicholas Hoult (Hank/Beast) as the next Clark Kent/Superman. I know they said he was in the running for Batman before going with Pattinson. When he is wearing his glasses as Hank he is everything Clark Kent should be.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
I saw it. Maybe not /quite/ as terrible as the reviews make it seem, but certainly not good. Turner is not at the point where she can carry this sort of role, character motivations are vague and change on a dime, and in my opinion the final confrontation is a letdown. Also a painfully cringe line is delivered by Jennifer Lawrence early in the movie that made several people in my theatre grown. A couple of decent fight moments and Fassbender being awesome are the bright spots

Well now I have to know what the line is

Well now I have to know what the line is
Something along the lines of (while talking to professor X) “You know it seems like the women have been doing most of the work here. Maybe you should think about changing the name to X-Women”

Something along the lines of (while talking to professor X) “You know it seems like the women have been doing most of the work here. Maybe you should think about changing the name to X-Women”
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that also it seems these studios can't make these films now without a woke comment. I.e. the all women heroes moment in the final battle in Endgame.

She from what I've read hated playing (Raven/Mystique) but I wonder if she goes begging to Disney/Marvel to reprise the character when they officially reboot the X-Men?

Reactions: Vol49er
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that also it seems these studios can't make these films now without a woke comment. I.e. the all women heroes moment in the final battle in Endgame.

She from what I've read hated playing (Raven/Mystique) but I wonder if she goes begging to Disney/Marvel to reprise the character when they officially reboot the X-Men?
If that’s true about her hating the role, it showed. Not the biggest fan of the actress but she’s more talented than she showed in the X men movies

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
If that’s true about her hating the role, it showed. Not the biggest fan of the actress but she’s more talented than she showed in the X men movies

She was small time when she took the role in First Class. Then she blew up and seems like she was “too big” for the role. She had to be talked into returning for Apocalypse and seemed disinterested in it the whole time.

I love Mystique as a character but I’ve never cared how Fox made her a central figure of the storylines.

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back