WR departures/recruiting

Mitchell has another year for us at Lb right? Him and Banks alone may be our answer to improved LB play. I’m optimistic that Thomas, Simmons, and Terry will continue to improve enough to replace Butler. VQ guys believe Charles would’ve replaced one of those guys if he stayed healthy. I think we may see a lot of growth from this defense especially if we land 1-2 key jucos/transfers.
Rumors are swirling about Mitchell hitting the portal. I don't know how valid they are, but they are out there.

Reactions: Vol8188
You do realize that we have one of the best in the country?
What was our scoring average against Florida, Bama, and UGA?

Evem Ole Miss defense had much higher success than anticipated.

I never said we had a bad offense, but numerous 3 and outs EVERY GAME is not a complete offense.

Correct. And the stats reflect that.

That's a good observation.

People are crazy about this offense. I'm not one of them YET. We had 3 straight 3 or 4 and outs to start the game. This offense stalls way too much. That is part of the reason for the low time of possession. And the less time you have the ball, the less rotation you'll have.
It has holes in it despite the nice scoring average.

Calloway dissapeared after having a strong early season. Hyatt took a step back too.

The offense needs more variety and moderation of the tempo. I lost count of how many times we ran ourselves off the field this season.

We had a 4 and out on the first drive and had to punt after 8 plays on the second drive. Then, we never punted again. 5 straight possessions with a score, a fumble, and then another score.

We scored on 6 of 9 possessions with one being a fumble and the other a turnover on downs deep in the opponent’s territory. Criticizing that production is asinine.

I’m not convinced much else matters beyond scoring on offense and not allowing others to score on defense. Anything offensively that maximizes scoring is a net positive and anything defensively that minimizes scoring is a net positive.

I especially love this offense from a recruiting perspective because it allows both sides to put up madden style numbers
Well we didn't score more or stop 5 other teams from scoring more than us this season.

Part of what I mentioned was the reason for that. Talent (depth) being the other.

A lot of positives to take from this season. We never lost to an inferior team. Pruitt was good for that at least twice a year...

The long TDs. The passing efficiency. The defense growing and flying to the football. Watching Tim Banks scheme and dial up pressure was awesome.

But IMO, the offense needs MORE. it's not very complex at all, and that makes it easier to stop when you have the athletes for it.

Would Mitchell have to sit out a year, having already using the one free transfer
I'm not sure if he was a graduate transfer or not. if not, he wouldn't be immediately eligible if he transferred unless he graduates from UT.

Well we didn't score more or stop 5 other teams from scoring more than us this season.

Part of what I mentioned was the reason for that. Talent (depth) being the other.

A lot of positives to take from this season. We never lost to an inferior team. Pruitt was good for that at least twice a year...

The long TDs. The passing efficiency. The defense growing and flying to the football. Watching Tim Banks scheme and dial up pressure was awesome.

But IMO, the offense needs MORE. it's not very complex at all, and that makes it easier to stop when you have the athletes for it.

Is it easy to stop? I’d have to disagree with that. We scored more against Georgia than anyone, we scored on Bama. I wouldn’t claim anyone stopped us.

Less is more. Do what you do well. Adding plays for the sake of it is how you become mediocre (like Gondlier’s, gross). I like that we do few things very well.

One reason for the loses to worse teams under Pruitt is the style difference. If you shorten the game you narrow the margins.

I'm not sure if he was a graduate transfer or not. if not, he wouldn't be immediately eligible if he transferred unless he graduates from UT.

Thanks for the info. If not hopefully Willis and Mohan develop. Either way this defensive staff has me drinking the koolaid

Reactions: bigl3327
Listening to the VQ podcast the other day is sounded like Mitchell was not a fit inside the program.
That may be the case. This staff demands personal excellence everyday, on and off the field. They are grooming these young men to be professionals in football or whatever they pursue in life. Everyone is not up to the task.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Another thing to note, Tennessee was 10th in the SEC in receptions this year. Mississippi state had 4 guys who had more catches than Cedric.
We also were 22nd in the entire nation in Passing Yards per Completion…completing 216 passes out of 332 attempts for 2960 passing yards for 13.7 yards/pass. Only #10 Georgia and #14 Arkansas were ranked hire out of the SEC…but with less attempts/completions.
When you score as fast as we do and average 4.93 yards per run…WRs know that when their # gets called it has a high chance to simply be a sprint race for TD.

This. They tried to work Calloway in early, but after his big 4th down drop in Gainesville, he didn’t play much. Hyatt dropped a lot of passes too, but still had the 3rd most receptions on the team. Walker Merrill was also getting worked in early, but faded.

I don’t think it was that Heupel didn’t want to play more guys, it’s that he didn’t trust them to catch the damn ball. I hope they figure it out, because they’ll need to replace Velus and Payton next year. And Keyton is too slow.
Calloway got opportunities early…but he had big drops and that one in particular was a game changer.

Two things in regards to your observations.....
1. Coach Golesh was recently asked about how much of the playbook the team had absorbed so far. His answer was that they were only at the "elementary school level". That tells me that we will see much more diversity next season.
2. You have to consider that our defense was awful at getting of the field on 3rd down and giving the ball back to the offense. We put up the stats we did this year on limited possessions. More possessions equals more opportunities for other people to play. This is another area that we should see improve greatly next season.
I wonder if we can be at a "middle school" level by the bowl game 😁

Reactions: bigl3327
For me concerning Hyatt he simply MUST learn the art of receiving (literally making catches). The high ball, the low ball, the left or right ball, but mostly the ball that's right in your hands. It's all a matter of concentration and hopefully he'll master it. He certainly has the speed to be an effective receiver in this offense.

For me concerning Hyatt he simply MUST learn the art of receiving (literally making catches). The high ball, the low ball, the left or right ball, but mostly the ball that's right in your hands. It's all a matter of concentration and hopefully he'll master it. He certainly has the speed to be an effective receiver in this offense.
He needs to get stronger, but you are right... concentration is definitely his biggest issue currently. He has all the physical tools to be a superstar.

They used a 5 man rotation all year, Keyton and Hyatt were 4 and 5. Losing 2 of the starters opens up spots for JH and JC...we will see what happens.
Seems like I heard coming into this year Tillman only had 8 catches in his time on Rocky Top. Gotta open the door when opportunity knocks.

I’m not convinced much else matters beyond scoring on offense and not allowing others to score on defense. Anything offensively that maximizes scoring is a net positive and anything defensively that minimizes scoring is a net positive.

I especially love this offense from a recruiting perspective because it allows both sides to put up madden style numbers
The idea you are hitting on is the way I view it as well. So many fans (and idiot commentators who ramble about the same things incessantly) keep looking at all these different angles of our offense. "Well I don't like how it matches up with this traditional offensive metric..." Look at the end of the day it is just about scoring. And schematically we allowed ourselves to score lots of points with minimal talent that displayed itself in missed assignments or losing an assignment due to being out athleted. 3 and out that results in 0 points or 7 plays that also results in 0 points. Oh....time of possession. That is somewhat in jest, obviously we do not want 3 and out. But improved roster will improve that more than anything. The scene scheme was not the primary cause of 3 and outs. We score in explosive plays and gain yards in chunks. It's not 3 or 4 yards at a time. It places a unique stress on the defense and changes the way the game is called by the opponent after getting down early in the game.

Reactions: Vol8188

Those more talented teams schemed up our offense better to slow us down? Or, as you said, the athlete gap (with our nonexistent depth) slowed us down? When our athletes and depth are closer (not on par but closer) then the execution magically improves. And the efficiency magically improves. And we score even MORE points against the more elite teams.

Where is Flowers going? He has a Covid year under his belt, so unless he just doesn’t wanna play football anymore, he’s coming back. Also, I have no idea if Calbert is coming back, but going through senior day doesn’t mean he’s not.
Hopefully to 2nd team if he is back

VN Store

Back