Wow @ Gruden...another debacle had we hired him [update: Gruden resigns]

So, for the record you have no problem whatsoever with Gruden saying that an African American’s lips are the size of Michelin tires?

Not a bit. He has the right to say what he wanted and they had the right to can him. Calling people names in a email might be a crap thing to do but it's not killed anyone.

I wouldn't have got mad about him calling anyone names. It don't hurt me when a black man makes fun of the honkys. Words don't hurt me. He got fired for doing it while having it attached to his work place. He wasn't smart either way and he paid for it.

^ waving the white flag ^

BTW - if there was nothing racial about Gruden’s comments and that you “never automatically go there”, then why did you use the white man can’t jump analogy?

No white flag. You’re a sheep. Why are you still so anxious about an event with no victim?

Wow you are dense. It is analogous to this example. A person can say a white person can’t jump and it could be of racist intent as it also could not be. Either way, I wouldn’t give a damn and damn sure wouldn’t ask someone to resign for it.

No white flag. You’re a sheep. Why are you still so anxious about an event with no victim?

Wow you are dense. It is analogous to this example. A person can say a white person can’t jump and it could be of racist intent as it also could not be. Either way, I wouldn’t give a damn and damn sure wouldn’t ask someone to resign for it.

No, not a sheep. Just someone who recognizes that when you make fun of a physical characteristic of a minority that has historically been stereotypically attributed uniquely to that minority, that’s racism. You can wordsmith and use pretzel logic all you want, but you just spent multiple posts defending a racist. You own it.

No, not a sheep. Just someone who recognizes that when you make fun of a physical characteristic of a minority that has historically been stereotypically attributed uniquely to that minority, that’s racism. You can wordsmith and use pretzel logic all you want, but you just spent multiple posts defending a racist. You own it.

Yes , I own not being a sheep like you.

No pretzel logic, you’re the one that needs paragraphs to explain your hurtz.

So, for the record you have no problem whatsoever with Gruden saying that an African American’s lips are the size of Michelin tires?

It turns out this particular observation might be a bit gray. This is an excerpt from something I posted earlier.

In the same article, Gruden denied that the comment had anything to do with race. Instead, he said the comment was his way of calling Smith a liar, since he uses the term “rubber lips” to describe someone he thinks is double-talking or lying. One of Gruden’s former players, Tim Brown, even backed up that account.

A convenient deflection? Perhaps, but I also suspect this isn't the real problem.

There is mounting belief that what has been released is a "tip of the iceburg" situation. If that's the case and there is worse (perhaps much worse) then him resigning could be as much damage control on his part as anything.

Smith is a puppet. Everyone but you and a few others recognize it. He won because the NFL wants him to continue screwing the players. Players are either not interested enough or too satisfied with short term money to demand a change.
All I have ever said is that he is in a tough job. You simply have no understanding whatsoever of the difficulties and complexities of negotiating with 32 of the most astute businessmen in the world.

All I have ever said is that he is in a tough job. You simply have no understanding whatsoever of the difficulties and complexities of negotiating with 32 of the most astute businessmen in the world.

You dont know the first thing about the union negotiation process either. Strange, MLB and NBA can get guaranteed contracts but NFL, the most popular sport in America with only a very few select people in the world who can perform the most valuable position cant. NFLPA has been and will continue to be poorly run as long as people like Smith are in charge.

You dont know the first thing about the union negotiation process either. Strange, MLB and NBA can get guaranteed contracts but NFL, the most popular sport in America with only a very few select people in the world who can perform the most valuable position cant. NFLPA has been and will continue to be poorly run as long as people like Smith are in charge.
I know about the contract situation. In the NFL, a player may sign a 5 year deal but the money is only guaranteed for 3 years. Contracts vary among players. Some of the contracts are front loaded. Some signing bonuses are are spread out and others are paid in year 1 and 2. Pretty complex and not nearly as simple as you make it.

I know about the contract situation. In the NFL, a player may sign a 5 year deal but the money is only guaranteed for 3 years. Contracts vary among players. Some of the contracts are front loaded. Some signing bonuses are are spread out and others are paid in year 1 and 2. Pretty complex and not nearly as simple as you make it.

Again, you are wrong.....Example: Titans drafted Isiah Wilson but traded him after 1 season. His contract went to Miami with him but Miami cut him. Miami owes him nothing. Hes now on a practice squad contract with NY, not the original deal he signed with the Titans. Titans are charged that money against their salary cap but no team is paying Wilson a first rounders salary. Even a broke clock is right twice a day, that's 2 times more than you......

That's a rookie contract where the money to him was only guaranteed for one year. You need research it more thoroughly. All contracts aren't the same. Not as simple as that tiny brain of yours thinks

And that’s why they need better leadership.

Reading seems to hard for you. You keep jumping to claims I haven’t made.

You’re on the side of making negative assumptions about people’s intentions here, not me.

Smith does have big lips. So at this point you’re firing a guy based on his accurate observation and your perceived racial intentions behind those comments.
That comment didn't exist in a vacuum though. The second wave of comments are what sealed his fate.

Btw, if racial and homophobic comments are the bar, the league will need to cancel this weekends games. They wouldn’t have enough eligible players.
I think you're 100% correct about that. This is a rabbit hole that the NFL doesn't want to go down. E-mail eloquence is probably not the litmus test they want to use league-wide.

First off we were never going to hire that racist pos and second I’m so glad there will now never be another ”Gruden… soon” thread. To all the Gruden hopefuls, suck it! Hahahaha!

That comment didn't exist in a vacuum though. The second wave of comments are what sealed his fate.

I think you're 100% correct about that. This is a rabbit hole that the NFL doesn't want to go down. E-mail eloquence is probably not the litmus test they want to use league-wide.

I‘m not sure why everyone seems to want to give Gruden a pass simply because more abhorrent behavior and attitudes go unchecked in the NFL. For example, If I falsified my expense report and was being canned for it, claiming other employees did worse would not save my job.

Anybody seen bullet points on this Gruden/Snyder story? I don't want to read the whole damn thing.

I tried a longer summary and lost it due to this stupid Safari random page refresh issue.

I was surprised to be sympathetic to Mark Davis in the end. He got bent over by Goodell and Snyder who both, among others, knew everything on Gruden before the leak.

It’s hilarious that Gruden is like “Goodell was out to get me and end me!” When he used a gay slur towards him in 2011. Sure dude. You definitely seem unbiased about it.

VN Store

Back