Wow...great Recruits By Pearl...

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 6, 2005 11:22 PM
NCVOLFAN Best coach UT had wasn't Jerry "I don't need Fans" Green HE left the program bare when he left, he had no control of the team, he lived off another coaches players, he had a Final 4 team and couldn't get them there. If Jerry Green was so good why is he not coaching somewhere right now! I'll tell you why because he's not good that's why big boy!

Yeah I guess since your a god and know so much about basketball then Pearl should have signed a top 5 class with just 4 weeks on the job and if you think UT could have gotten better then you need to look up your local shrink for a little couch time.

I guess you don't believe the truth about Benson sabatoging Pearl.

Pearl was a top hire and no matter how you try and bad mouth him he will win despite lame fans such as yourself. I hope you find another team you can root for that will hire who you want and play the way you want and enjoy. This IS the best hire for UT basketball since Ray Mears including your beloved Jerry Green who was a waste and a blight on UT and real UT fans.

Oh by the way I guess DePaul is a nobody Program also!

Top 5 Class...... :lol:

Is our class even top 100??

man, steve nash had ONE scholly offer comin out of high school...now, he's MVP in the NBA..Just goes to show you guys that have all these doubts about recruits..Doesnt matter what kinda player they are. If they have the right work ethic and right coaching..They'll be good and succed! :)

NCVOLFAN Best coach UT had wasn't Jerry "I don't need Fans" Green HE left the program bare when he left, he had no control of the team, he lived off another coaches players, he had a Final 4 team and couldn't get them there. If Jerry Green was so good why is he not coaching somewhere right now! I'll tell you why because he's not good that's why big boy!

Yeah I guess since your a god and know so much about basketball then Pearl should have signed a top 5 class with just 4 weeks on the job and if you think UT could have gotten better then you need to look up your local shrink for a little couch time.

Pearl was a top hire and no matter how you try and bad mouth him he will win despite lame fans such as yourself. I hope you find another team you can root for that will hire who you want and play the way you want and enjoy. This IS the best hire for UT basketball since Ray Mears including your beloved Jerry Green who was a waste and a blight on UT and real UT fans.

I share all your sentiments about Jerry Green. He has not coached ONE GAME since being let go by UTK. Anybody want to guess as to why? Exactly, nobody wants him. He is a horrible coach who had no positive effect on the men's basketball program at UTK. He won, yes, but he did so with a team that SHOULD have won more than they did. He had Final Four talent. And, BTW, that talent wasn't his. He wasn't winning with his recruits.

Originally posted by Volsguy12@May 7, 2005 9:27 PM
man, steve nash had ONE scholly offer comin out of high school...now, he's MVP in the NBA..Just goes to show you guys that have all these doubts about recruits..Doesnt matter what kinda player they are. If they have the right work ethic and right coaching..They'll be good and succed! :)

The new age of Rivals.com, Scout.com, and so many other ranking services have indocrinated so many people with this idiotic idea that rakings are the be all end all of "success." Have the intelligence to realize that how many stars a high school basketball recruit is "given" by a recruiting service does not guarantee or oppress a kid from becoming a successful college basketball player. The recruiting services and college coaches really knew what they were doing when they told Steve Nash he wasn't a 5-star recruit.

Ohhh.....I guess I touched someones precious nerve with this one...If you could read , I did relent and say that he did get the short end of the recruiting stick and what he gets is what he gets...(although I see a second coming of Doug Roth)

As far as Benson sabatoging Pearl, someone has been watching too many episodes of the X-Files....If thats all it takes to change a recuits mind, Pearl should immediately begin badmouthing Tubby...

Top hire...humm if this board existed four years ago and if you didnt have anything else to do, guess your were feigning your love for Buzz...

If you think we are going to win with UWM rejects then your are crazy...basketball is played with 5 starters, one or two have to be aces to win no matter who the coach is..

I have no doubt that Bruce is talented but SEC caliber, I will hold my opinon to myself but I will make sure to remind you day after day next season(oh wait, I guess he wont be that good next year playing with Buzz's players, even though he is the answer)..

Just face it, Pearl cashed in on his sweet sixteen fame and he doesnt have to do much to keep it..UT Football rules the roost, followed closely by womens basketball, and in third, what marketers refer to as a loss leader, is the mens basketball program..

Dont get me wrong, I would love Brucey to prove me wrong and win a meaningful game but dont see it in my lifetime.... .... :banghead:

Originally posted by NCVOLFAN@May 8, 2005 11:03 PM
Dont get me wrong, I would love Brucey to prove me wrong and win a meaningful game but dont see it in my lifetime....

Buzz is that you? :eek:

Anyway, While I agree that it is a bit naive to think that Pearl will do well, I also think it to be a bit naive to think that he won't.

Next year could most likely be tough for Bruce, but I think that he will win more games than Buzz did last year. Bruce will build off of the momentum from that.

The fact of the matter is, Bruce is a winner. It doesn't matter if he coached at lesser schools before because the talent was even in the conference and he won. Just like he will do here at Tennessee in all due time. He doesn't have to beat all the good teams next year. He just has to win against the bad and average and play the good ones close enough to give them the chance...

I remember Doug Roth being a big-time recruit. We had to take his teammate Henry to get him, who was a joke.

But if this guy is as good as Roth then it will be an improvement. Because Roth could outplay Crump, Herndon, or the JUCO anyday.

Do we want better? Yes. But know what you are talking about.

Hatthaway was supposed to be great. Recruiting grades are so irrelevant.

Originally posted by NCVOLFAN@May 8, 2005 11:03 PM

Ohhh.....I guess I touched someones precious nerve with this one...If you could read , I did relent and say that he did get the short end of the recruiting stick and what he gets is what he gets...(although I see a second coming of Doug Roth)

As far as Benson sabatoging Pearl, someone has been watching too many episodes of the X-Files....If thats all it takes to change a recuits mind, Pearl should immediately begin badmouthing Tubby...

Top hire...humm if this board existed four years ago and if you didnt have anything else to do, guess your were feigning your love for Buzz...

If you think we are going to win with UWM rejects then your are crazy...basketball is played with 5 starters, one or two have to be aces to win no matter who the coach is..

I have no doubt that Bruce is talented but SEC caliber, I will hold my opinon to myself but I will make sure to remind you day after day next season(oh wait, I guess he wont be that good next year playing with Buzz's players, even though he is the answer)..

Just face it, Pearl cashed in on his sweet sixteen fame and he doesnt have to do much to keep it..UT Football rules the roost, followed closely by womens basketball, and in third, what marketers refer to as a loss leader, is the mens basketball program..

Dont get me wrong, I would love Brucey to prove me wrong and win a meaningful game but dont see it in my lifetime.... .... :banghead:

No nerve, but for someone to go off half cocked and not know what he's talking about as you have spreading garbage about a coach that you know very little about and haven't even taken the time to research. What happened to all those 4 and 5 star players Bama had when they ran into Pearl's 1 and 2 star players. Tell me that Big Boy.

As far as Benson, until you know something more than conjecture I wouldn't run off at the mouth about what you obviously no absolutely nothing about. Here is a fact Benson stabbed Pearl and UT in the back and had UT within a breath of an NCAA investigation.

As far as Pearl cashing in on his sweet sixteen trip proves how little you know about him as a man or a coach and obviously you have failed to even read articles the last few months that would have told even your thick mind that he has done more than go to 1 Sweet Sixteen.

As far as next year I will gladly remind you when his first team even with Buzz's players do better than they did with Buzz. Buzz got a big contract and got lazy and hired weak assistants. His team the last 2 years was the weakest in the SEC and they refused to play defense.

Your last paragraph was an out and out lie, period your begging and praying for him to fail.

I can go back to the mid 60's with UT basketball when they were very good and was coached by Ray Mears and guess what Big Boy Pearl is just like him and will win. You don't need 4 and 5 star recruits to win basketball games or even championships but you do need players that fit your system, play with heart, play as a team and have decent talent. If you can get 10 hard-nosed kids with decent talent that fits your system and buys into it you can go a long way. Pearl will do that and along the way he'll get his share of 4 and 5 star players.

Pearl has already made statements and obviously you got lost on the way.

Let me repeat them so you'll understand.

1. He will do things his way
2. His players will not slack off on academics
3. He will not let his program be held hostage by egotistical parents
4. He will hire his own staff

A little more info for you the Memphis high school coaches are pleased Pearl hired Edgar who they all like alot.

I can't predict that Pearl will be the greatest BB coach ever to coach at TN but I will say this. For the first time in 20 years I'm excited about life after the bowl games this coming winter. I do plan on attending the majority of the home basketball games this coming year and never have I anticipated having more fun at a UT sporting event than what I imagine Bruce Pearl will bring to the game at TBA. I do predict however, that in time Bruce Pearl will be the most colorful and most loved coach at UT and will surpass both Pat Summitt and Phil Fulmer in popularity before it's over and he will do so because it is apparent that he has studied the audience and he knows he is more than a coach, he is IMO an influencer with the inate ability to draw a positive energy from both philosophers and fools alike and unlike other coaches at UT, he eagerlyand genuinely pursues a relationship with all the strata of community and students to be a unifying participator instead of a reclusive icon. You watch, TBA will be filled even if we don't win right away because we will be proud once again to be together and Pearl knows that and he works it.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1+May 9, 2005 9:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TNVOLS1 &#064; May 9, 2005 9:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NCVOLFAN@May 8, 2005 11:03 PM

I have no doubt that Bruce is talented but SEC caliber, I will hold my opinon to myself but I will make sure to remind you day after day next season(oh wait, I guess he wont be that good next year playing with Buzz&#39;s players, even though he is the answer)..

No nerve, but for someone to go off half cocked and not know what he&#39;s talking about as you have spreading garbage about a coach that you know very little about and haven&#39;t even taken the time to research. What happened to all those 4 and 5 star players Bama had when they ran into Pearl&#39;s 1 and 2 star players. Tell me that Big Boy.

As far as Benson, until you know something more than conjecture I wouldn&#39;t run off at the mouth about what you obviously no absolutely nothing about. Here is a fact Benson stabbed Pearl and UT in the back and had UT within a breath of an NCAA investigation.

As far as Pearl cashing in on his sweet sixteen trip proves how little you know about him as a man or a coach and obviously you have failed to even read articles the last few months that would have told even your thick mind that he has done more than go to 1 Sweet Sixteen.

As far as next year I will gladly remind you when his first team even with Buzz&#39;s players do better than they did with Buzz. Buzz got a big contract and got lazy and hired weak assistants. His team the last 2 years was the weakest in the SEC and they refused to play defense.

Your last paragraph was an out and out lie, period your begging and praying for him to fail.

I can go back to the mid 60&#39;s with UT basketball when they were very good and was coached by Ray Mears and guess what Big Boy Pearl is just like him and will win. You don&#39;t need 4 and 5 star recruits to win basketball games or even championships but you do need players that fit your system, play with heart, play as a team and have decent talent. If you can get 10 hard-nosed kids with decent talent that fits your system and buys into it you can go a long way. Pearl will do that and along the way he&#39;ll get his share of 4 and 5 star players.

Pearl has already made statements and obviously you got lost on the way.

Let me repeat them so you&#39;ll understand.

1. He will do things his way
2. His players will not slack off on academics
3. He will not let his program be held hostage by egotistical parents
4. He will hire his own staff

A little more info for you the Memphis high school coaches are pleased Pearl hired Edgar who they all like alot. [/quote]
:shakeit: Since the 60&#39;s huh...wow old man, I am impressed you can remember the records...winning in the 60&#39;s with "hard nosed" players is not the same as winning in the 00&#39;s...for instance this years National Champs- NC Tarheels...last years.. Conneticut Huskies...two years ago...Syracuse Orangemen...one thing in common 4-5 star players.....

As far as Scott Edgar here is a CBS Sportline quote:

4. Scott Edgar, Tennessee: No one said Bruce Pearl had to keep anyone from Buzz Peterson&#39;s staff. But hiring UAB assistant Edgar over former Vols aide Chuck Benson might have cost Pearl the state&#39;s best two high school seniors. Tyler Smith, who signed with Tennessee, will spend next season at prep school instead. Jamont Gordon, who was uncommitted but leaning toward the Vols, signed with Mississippi State.

WAY TO GO....glad the the Memphis coaches are so excited about Edgar they sure showed it....

Articles on Pearl yeah I read them..most of them at the UT sport site, and wow the propaganda machine is working overtime...the records the man has set, and yes the majority of his wins did come at a division II school(not UWM)..

Lets add one more to the "Pearls of Wisdom"

5. I will serve my four year term, make my fortune and leave with a .500 record.

I see you didnt bother to reply about how you felt when Buzz was orginally hired??

Believe what you want about my sincerity I really dont give a crap....but yes I would like to see Bruce succeed...I like nothing better than to see KY get their butt handed to them along with FL, AL, AK and all the other schools in the SEC

You had better go back and read my post again because you either have a reading problem or a comprehension problem. I never said at anytime UT won in the 60&#39;s with "hard nosed" players. I&#39;m talking about today&#39;s game period.

Yeah I&#39;m old enough to know your still wet behind the ears and don&#39;t have a clue about what your talking about.

Are you really serious, if so then you don&#39;t know squat about UT basketball&#33;

#1. Jamont Gordon was never planning to attend UT and that is a fact, he was using UT till he got a concrete offer from someone else. His mother hates UT and was never at anytime going to allow him to attend UT and that is why he never committed to UT.
Now after him being caught selling dope and tossed out of Oak Hill just goes to show what UT was recruiting.
If Gordon was coming to UT he would have signed in November when UT was the only school who offered him a scholarship no strings attached.

2. Tyler Smith was backing out of his LOI before Buzz even left and his DADDY tried to strong arm UT and Pearl into keeping him.

Benson came so close to getting UT investigated its not even funny.

Yes the Memphis coaches are happy with the hiring of Edgar because he already has a relationship with them and they know what he tells them is not lies.

Now go to other places and read about his background, read what respected coaches in the profession think of him and not just UT&#39;s spots page that right there shows you have no clue who Pearl is and have not bothered to find out but just want to shootoff your mouth without facts and you just shot yourself in the foot and proved what I have been saying.

I took a wait and see approach with Buzz and yes I thought he should have another year but when Hamilton fired him and hired Pearl I did my research.
Let me tell you Ernie Grunfeld has forgotten more basketball and more about personnel decisions than you will ever know and if he says this is the guy for UT then I am going to listen and research. The last guy Grunfeld wanted UT to hire when they hired Buzz is now considered one of the brightest new coaches in MAJOR college basketball.

My advise to you is follow your Tar Heels and leave UT to their real fans&#33;
Your knowledge of basketball and UT basketball is less than my 6 year old.

Giles County isnt in Memphis is it?? Mouth of Wilson and Glencliff isnt in Memphis is it?? Wow, i dont think the Memphis coaches had anything at all to do with Tyler and Jamont not coming to Tennessee.

Originally posted by Volsguy12@May 10, 2005 10:04 PM
Giles County isnt in Memphis is it?? Mouth of Wilson and Glencliff isnt in Memphis is it?? Wow, i dont think the Memphis coaches had anything at all to do with Tyler and Jamont not coming to Tennessee.

I was thinking the same thing. Why did he imply that Edgar&#39;s relationship with Memphis coaches should have helped him with Jamont and Tyler?

Because he didn&#39;t read what was said. He doesn&#39;t do his research to be able to back up his opinion with facts

This is what Pearl had to say about Childress..

"And I can talk to you about Ryan Childress. Ryan Childress is 6&#39;8", 240, and has a frame that can hold 15-20 more pounds without even noticing it. He&#39;s already going to come in and be one of the strongest guys on the team, and strength isn&#39;t the whole thing. If you look at the composition of our basketball team and you say "what is one of the elements that we&#39;re missing particularly on the frontline?" it would be toughness, it would be size, it would be physicality, and that is what Ryan brings. Plus, he can make open shots and extend the defense. He&#39;s not an SEC athlete if you will, but he is a very, very effective player. I went back and looked at our victory against Alabama and I said "you know what, I had some guys on in the frontline that were not SEC athletes but they were still effective players and we&#39;re very excited about Ryan as a student athlete, as a person, and as a tough guy, and as a guy that is physically is going to be able to play early in his career as a freshman. How many freshman can&#39;t play because they need some time to develop physically? Ryan is a winner, Ryan is ready and that is why we pulled the trigger on him."

It&#39;s just impossible not to get pumped listening to Bruce Pearl talk about anything.

Originally posted by GAVol@May 12, 2005 11:32 PM
It&#39;s just impossible not to get pumped listening to Bruce Pearl talk about anything.

That&#39;s so true. B)

:lol: I know. He is very high on this Childress kid. I am just going to go out on a limb here and assume that Pearl knows what a good, solid basketball player looks like. If Childress is as tough as Pearl makes him out to be, that will be a good thing for our team. Now if he could just toughen up Wingate.

He doesn&#39;t talk like the Zooker did...does he? :blink: :lol: :p

Originally posted by NCGatorBait+May 13, 2005 10:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NCGatorBait @ May 13, 2005 10:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@May 12, 2005 11:32 PM

He doesn&#39;t talk like the Zooker did...does he? :blink: :lol: :p [/quote]
But at least he&#39;s proved he can coach. ;)

Originally posted by utvolpj+May 13, 2005 11:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (utvolpj @ May 13, 2005 11:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by NCGatorBait@May 13, 2005 10:34 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GAVol
@May 12, 2005 11:32 PM

He doesn&#39;t talk like the Zooker did...does he? :blink: :lol: :p

But at least he&#39;s proved he can coach. ;) [/quote]
He&#39;s like Meyer...he hasn&#39;t proved anything at this level yet&#33; :cool:

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@May 13, 2005 10:39 AM
He&#39;s like Meyer...he hasn&#39;t proved anything at this level yet&#33; :cool:

:blink: :blink: Did that really just come out of a Gator fan?? I thought that Meyer was the second coming of Jesus Christ himself&#33; Coming to resurrect the mighty Gators. According to most Gator fans, his taking Utah to the BCS proved he could coach. I compare that to Pearl and the tourney. ;)

VN Store

Back