Wow...great Recruits By Pearl...

NCVOLFAN

Judging from the "talent" that Brucie is bringing in, mediocrity should continue to reign supreme in TN basketball... Stealing a former recruit from that Division II school he last coached at should go a long way in evening up the competition with KY, LSU and FL....I think Minnie Pearl could do this good...

Attachments

• minnie_pearl.jpg
    minnie_pearl.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 9
Excuse Me are you even a UT fan?

What Division 2 school?

Do you even have a clue?

Could we at least give him, say, 6 weeks before we start criticizing the job that he's doing?

I agree with withholding judgement for a while but the Minnie Pearl reference was a good one. :lol:

That's an interesting argument, seeing bruce was only A YEAR behind everyone else in recruiting... :bad:

I guess you could say that this is good news. We have signed a 2 star foward after losing a 4 star foward and a 5 star guard. I know it is early but maybe the 2 star will be just what we need. Maybe coach knows what he is doing. He has only been coaching for about a billion years. Go Pearl Go! B)

2 star, 4 star, 5 star....Some coaches can take a 2 star, work with him and make him look like a 5 star while other coaches can take a 5 star and turn them into a 2 star.

I think that Pearl is the kind of coach that I first mentioned. I hope that he is anyway..

A-men to that! that is why I believe he knows what he is doing. Lets see what happens on the court. We have signed several 4 stars that have been a complete bust in recent years, maybe we can win with 2 stars who are well coached. B)

I will repeat again. Jamont Gordon was at no time going to attend UT, he never at anytime committed to UT and was only keeping UT on the string until another team came along and offered and that team wound up being MI$$ $TATE.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 5, 2005 10:52 PM
He beat Bammer and BC with one and two star talent.

Thats an excellent point. Not to mention he got a "commitment" from Thomas who was a huge recruit to get with only a month worth of time to recruit him. UTK "beat out" top D1 programs for him. Don't forget that. UTK chose not to send the papers, not the other way around. There is a reason Pearl signed Childress. There is no way you can not be impressed with what Pearl has done recruiting wise in little over A MONTH!

Sometimes, the higher the star, the fatter the ego.

I'd rather have 5 and 4 star players, but if it's a choice between a 5 star with a TUDE and a 3 star who's willing to work his butt off, gimme the 3 star every time.

While talking to Pearl last night I theorized that he seems to look for more blue collar type athletes that have strong upside and would also tend to stay for 4 years. He said that is exactly what he looks for. He said in his style of play, work ethic and toughness are the two tangibles that he must have in order to succeed. He thinks he can get that kind of talent at UT. He thinks Childress comes along with much more athletic and basketball talent than advertised through the scouting services. Based on my impression ob Bruce, his work ethic, determination to succeed and frankness, I suspect we'll like Childress before this is over with.

Originally posted by NCVOLFAN@May 5, 2005 9:00 PM
Judging from the "talent" that Brucie is bringing in, mediocrity should continue to reign supreme in TN basketball... Stealing a former recruit from that Division II school he last coached at should go a long way in evening up the competition with KY, LSU and FL....I think Minnie Pearl could do this good...

Nice generalized post with no facts, quotes or links to support it. What was the point of starting this thread? :bash:

This was either an attempted flame by a non-Vol or he fell off the Turnip truck on his head.

Fell off the turnip truck, not a Vol Fan...Division 2 school, do I have a clue...Well let me answer that one for Mr Homer VN Guru....yes I do...While I must admit, that Bruce should be given the benefit of a doubt and he did get a late recruiting start, taking players from Wisconsin Mil. is not my idea of great steals....come on, until this year has anyone ever heard of that school???? As far as Divison 2, I know Wis. Mil is a Divison 1 school but look at their conference...Detroit, Wis. Green Bay, ...real powerhouses...

Finally, Bruces competition for Childress was Kent State and Richmond...once again real basketball powerhouses huh.....

I must agree that not all 4 and 5 star players pan out but unlike football, you need to have a team of more than just 1 and 2 star players...oh wait thats what Buzz had and look at where that got us...The best coach we had was let go after a Sweet 16 appearance...

The real Pearl

Attachments

• minnie_pearl.jpg
    minnie_pearl.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 6
Originally posted by NCVOLFAN@May 6, 2005 11:08 PM
Fell off the turnip truck, not a Vol Fan...Division 2 school, do I have a clue...Well let me answer that one for Mr Homer VN Guru....yes I do...While I must admit, that Bruce should be given the benefit of a doubt and he did get a late recruiting start, taking players from Wisconsin Mil. is not my idea of great steals....come on, until this year has anyone ever heard of that school????  As far as Divison 2, I know Wis. Mil is a Divison 1 school but look at their conference...Detroit, Wis. Green Bay, ...real powerhouses...

Finally, Bruces competition for Childress was Kent State and Richmond...once again real basketball powerhouses huh.....

I must agree that not all 4 and 5 star players pan out but unlike football, you need to have a team of more than just 1 and 2 star players...oh wait thats what Buzz had and look at where that got us...The best coach we had was let go after a Sweet 16 appearance...

The real Pearl

I share your concern bro but I do think Pearl needed a big body and that's what he got. Next year will be a better indication of his recruiting. If this time next year we are still competing with UWM for players.....then we can panic.

Thanks Vol Freak...I will give him benefit of the doubt but like you said, if next year we are challenging UWM, Richmond and Kent State for recruits we will be in big trouble....I dont expect much from the team next year but an NIT bid would be nice..

Attachments

• minnie_pearl.jpg
    minnie_pearl.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 6
Originally posted by LadyinOrange+May 6, 2005 9:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LadyinOrange @ May 6, 2005 9:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NCVOLFAN@May 6, 2005 11:08 PM
The real Pearl

Actually, her name was Sarah Cannon.

:ph34r: [/quote]
You tell him&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:

Originally posted by NCVOLFAN@May 6, 2005 11:15 PM
Thanks Vol Freak...I will give him benefit of the doubt but like you said, if next year we are challenging UWM, Richmond and Kent State for recruits we will be in big trouble....I dont expect much from the team next year but an NIT bid would be nice..

I agree, depending on the schedule I think we will hover around the .500 mark but only time will tell. I am excited to see what happens though.

I think Pearl and Edgar can do pretty well on the recruiting trail and we already know that Pearl has a system that he believes in. That was always one of my complaints with Buzz. And I don&#39;t think Pearl was kidding on the day he accepted the job when he said "I like to work".

NCVOLFAN Best coach UT had wasn&#39;t Jerry "I don&#39;t need Fans" Green HE left the program bare when he left, he had no control of the team, he lived off another coaches players, he had a Final 4 team and couldn&#39;t get them there. If Jerry Green was so good why is he not coaching somewhere right now&#33; I&#39;ll tell you why because he&#39;s not good that&#39;s why big boy&#33;

Yeah I guess since your a god and know so much about basketball then Pearl should have signed a top 5 class with just 4 weeks on the job and if you think UT could have gotten better then you need to look up your local shrink for a little couch time.

I guess you don&#39;t believe the truth about Benson sabatoging Pearl.

Pearl was a top hire and no matter how you try and bad mouth him he will win. I hope you find another team you can root for that will hire who you want and play the way you want and enjoy. This IS the best hire for UT basketball since Ray Mears including your beloved Jerry Green who was a waste and a blight on UT and real UT fans.

Oh by the way I guess DePaul is a nobody Program also&#33;

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 6, 2005 11:22 PM
NCVOLFAN Best coach UT had wasn&#39;t Jerry "I don&#39;t need Fans" Green HE left the program bare when he left, he had no control of the team, he lived off another coaches players, he had a Final 4 team and couldn&#39;t get them there. If Jerry Green was so good why is he not coaching somewhere right now&#33; I&#39;ll tell you why because he&#39;s not good that&#39;s why big boy&#33;

Yeah I guess since your a god and know so much about basketball then Pearl should have signed a top 5 class with just 4 weeks on the job and if you think UT could have gotten better then you need to look up your local shrink for a little couch time.

I guess you don&#39;t believe the truth about Benson sabatoging Pearl.

Pearl was a top hire and no matter how you try and bad mouth him he will win despite lame fans such as yourself. I hope you find another team you can root for that will hire who you want and play the way you want and enjoy. This IS the best hire for UT basketball since Ray Mears including your beloved Jerry Green who was a waste and a blight on UT and real UT fans.

Oh by the way I guess DePaul is a nobody Program also&#33;

:clap:

VN Store

Back