Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

Auburn just beat the team that demolished UT. And excuse me, Auburn is only #2 . Barnes is a good coach. BP is a whole nuther animal.
OK. We've seen firsthand, including under Pearl, that highly ranked during the regular season means absolutely nothing. But to appease your love of Pearl, which like a few others seems to be greater than for UT, maybe he'll spend more than 3 days at #1 this time. Give you something else to drool over.

OK. We've seen firsthand, including under Pearl, that highly ranked during the regular season means absolutely nothing. But to appease your love of Pearl, which like a few others seems to be greater than for UT, maybe he'll spend more than 3 days at #1 this time. Give you something else to drool over.
Yes, and when that poll comes out tomorrow it will mean that there is only one place to go from number one. Win 6 games in a row against some tough opponents in the tourney, and you meet expectations. Lose, and portions of your fan base go postal that you couldn’t win the games you were supposed to win. We shall see.

People are enamored with Pearl because his coaching history proves that he is a great coach. Barnes is a solid coach. He’s pretty good. His coaching history proves that he’s going to get you into the tournament just about every year. You may lose in the first or second round but once every blue moon he’ll get you to the sweet 16 (maybe better).
Outside of the first 3 years at Auburn when he was building that program up, Pearl is averaging a sweet 16 or better just about every other year in his coaching history. It’s not hard to see why fans long for “what could have been.” Personally I think he would have given Tennessee its first National Championship. But those who love Pearl (I’m not criticizing because I like the guy too) have to remember that Barnes was brought in to stabilize the program. It was going to sh*t. Barnes was never going to win a title here. So far I think Barnes has accomplished what he was brought in to do. Now that the program is stable you have a natural divide. You have some fans that are ok with the status quo and other fans that want to take the next step. Honestly I think the job is Barnes’ until he decides to retire. Hopefully when the time comes we can land the next “King Maker.”

Reactions: orangemadam

Hahahahahaha. That's so funny. Not "Drooling" over anyone. However, SOME on here have forgotten how much Fun it was when BP was here. Let's SEE how far Auburn goes in the SEC compared to Ut. OH, dang --Auburn hasn't lost any, Ut is now 4-3. Well let's see how far Auburn goes in the SEC & Ncaa Tourney. The question was do you miss BP? Hail yes I do. Barnes is a good coach........BP can compete with and beat Calapari. Have you seen an Auburn Home Game on TV? Wild, Crazy & Infectious. It's called "Entertainment".

Reactions: Big time vol
Hahahahahaha. That's so funny. Not "Drooling" over anyone. However, SOME on here have forgotten how much Fun it was when BP was here. Let's SEE how far Auburn goes in the SEC compared to Ut. OH, dang --Auburn hasn't lost any, Ut is now 4-3. Well let's see how far Auburn goes in the SEC & Ncaa Tourney. The question was do you miss BP? Hail yes I do. Barnes is a good coach........BP can compete with and beat Calapari. Have you seen an Auburn Home Game on TV? Wild, Crazy & Infectious. It's called "Entertainment".
No, I don't. You want to know why? Because he selfishly **** on UT by lying and put them in the position they were in. And it wasn't the first time he had issues. Do I appreciate what he did when he was here? Yes, but there's no way in hell I miss him.

And again, go cheer for them. Those last 2 sentences are nothing but drooling over him.

Reactions: cardvolfan
People are enamored with Pearl because his coaching history proves that he is a great coach. Barnes is a solid coach. He’s pretty good. His coaching history proves that he’s going to get you into the tournament just about every year. You may lose in the first or second round but once every blue moon he’ll get you to the sweet 16 (maybe better).
Outside of the first 3 years at Auburn when he was building that program up, Pearl is averaging a sweet 16 or better just about every other year in his coaching history. It’s not hard to see why fans long for “what could have been.” Personally I think he would have given Tennessee its first National Championship. But those who love Pearl (I’m not criticizing because I like the guy too) have to remember that Barnes was brought in to stabilize the program. It was going to sh*t. Barnes was never going to win a title here. So far I think Barnes has accomplished what he was brought in to do. Now that the program is stable you have a natural divide. You have some fans that are ok with the status quo and other fans that want to take the next step. Honestly I think the job is Barnes’ until he decides to retire. Hopefully when the time comes we can land the next “King Maker.”
His history also proves that he's not above getting his ass in trouble with the NCAA, and not very good at hiding it.

Pearl will probably never get a national title - but to get two programs to #1 for the first time ever is pretty cool for him.
Add to it they are the only 2 high major programs he's ever coached at makes it all the more impressive. He has basically resurrected two moribund basketball programs. Tennessee has been able to maintain a respectable level of success since his departure (equally impressive that it was in spite of the issues that led to his departure).

I'm not so sure if Auburn will do the same if he ever leaves them. I think they will, at least, have a harder time doing it.

Add to it they are the only 2 high major programs he's ever coached at makes it all the more impressive. He has basically resurrected two moribund basketball programs. Tennessee has been able to maintain a respectable level of success since his departure (equally impressive that it was in spite of the issues that led to his departure).

I'm not so sure if Auburn will do the same if he ever leaves them. I think they will, at least, have a harder time doing it.
Pearl Arguably the Best TN coach ever. Maybe second behind Ray Mears

Last edited:
Honest question, what would it take for you to say Barnes > Pearl? An elite 8? 2? Final Four? Have to win it all? Nothing?
We’ll let’s see, Pearl at least got us to the Elite 8 so I would say anything better than that and Barnes would be in the discussion. However, he has to start beating Pearl in their head to head matchups as well. Pearl pretty much owns Barnes ( Pearl has won 6 in a row vs. CRB)

Last edited:
We’ll let’s see, Pearl at least got us to the Elite 8 so I would say anything better than that and Barnes would be in the discussion. However, he has to start beating Pearl in their head to head matchups as well. Pearl pretty much owns Barnes ( Pearl has won 6 in a row vs. CRB)

So, now the regular season suddenly matters...that's rich coming from you...lol

How does that matter? Does that mean you think Barnes > Calipari?

Pearl owns Barnes in the postseason as well. Remember the 2019 SECT Finals? Best team Barnes had got taken to the woodshed by an underdog Pearl coached team

Reactions: Big time vol

VN Store

Back